Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

What happens to your records when you die...

Discussions about vinyl records: rarities, obscurities and collectibles, promos, mixes, etc. DJ-related discussions are welcome as well as techniques for recording & restoring vinyl records to CD/MP3.

What happens to your records when you die...

Postby bpdp3 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:37 am

Not to be morbid, but think about it - - you've spent some time building a nice new wave/punk record collection. Where does it go when YOU go?

My fantasy scenario: a gallery is built either in NYC or London, with all my lps, eps, 12"s, 45's etc displayed on the walls...all the greats in the new wave scene (Ira Robbins, Kraftwerk, Echo and the Bunnymen, Mike P, etc) come to this gallery - no, make that a shrine - "ooohing" and "aahing" over my collection....

My reality: my wife can't understand the 5000+ record collection, thinks it's nuts; she has no idea if an original copy of the Damned debut should cost as much as an old Dan Fogelberg album - - so I'll probably leave it to my 3 year old. While I dream of him building that shrine, I actually picture him hauling the collection to the Salvation Army in the back of a pickup. Who knows.
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:36 am

I take 'em with me to purgatory where I roam the 7 Hells of Bad Taste (Heavy Metal, Rap, Rap-Metal, Country, Hi-NRG, Teen Idol and the comedy of Bobcat Goldthwait) until my evangelistic furor finally wins me a place in Nirvana. Hmm, Nirvana, this might no
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Frayo » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:25 pm

I take em with me.
I want you to take my tattered corpse, and bury it with my music.
My hard drive, my CDs, my Vinyls... I want it to go to the grave with me.
Frayo
Room at the Top

Postby Natephish » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:43 am

Assuming I end up having a child/children, I'd pass them down. I doubt in 2055 that anyone is going to want my beautiful Belfegore LP, so they'll probably just end up getting trashed. So sad...
Natephish
Personal Jesus

Postby eight6 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:46 am

The joy of vinyl collecting is the acquisition (and of course, the listening) process. I'd leave them to my kids, but I'm sure they would think it all a huge waste. Face it, we're in an impossibly small minority, and you can't really convert somebody into
eight6
Room at the Top

Postby Hondo » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:21 am

Frisbee City, baby! [xx(][}:)][V]
Hondo
Take On Me

Postby ekahob » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:51 am

Now that I'm getting older and have kids I have actually thought about this. While I enjoy looking through the old albums and reminiscing I think my kids won't find my collection anything more than a really, really, heavy curiosity when they cart them aw
ekahob
The Jet Set

Postby Jimbo » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:55 am

Who says I'm ever going to die?
Jimbo
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:28 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Blir[/i]
<br>I take 'em with me to purgatory where I roam the 7 Hells of Bad Taste (Heavy Metal, Rap, Rap-Me
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby noodles » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:16 am

like a presidential library..

the Verge Audio Library of Silver Spring MD will open moments after my passing. Music fans of all genres can sit it my house to listen and dub all the music they like. The library would be non-circulating and no piece of
noodles
Personal Jesus

Postby Moparmark » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:40 am

I told my wife to ebay them along with my bike,and go out and get a new man.
Moparmark
The Jet Set

Postby bowiestation » Sat May 07, 2005 4:51 pm

Sadly,my wife will be clueless if I buy the farm anytime soon.I had close to 1000 lp's and have carted them with me in at least 5 different states over the years.Now,due to a very unfortunate accident 3/4 of those are gone. I'm down to maybe 2 banana boxe
bowiestation
The Jet Set

Postby geoffolehane » Thu May 26, 2005 11:40 am

I have a will and all of my earthly belongings will go to my son. And fortunately, I have trained him well. At age 9 his favorite groups include the Thompson Twins, B-52's, Flash and the Pan, and Buggles. One of his favorite songs is "88 Lines About 44
geoffolehane
The Jet Set

Postby buffalochipz » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:12 pm

If you can't be bothered selling your vinyl and you don't think your kids would want or care about your collection then I would consider donating it to a local college or community radio station. They would probably cream their pants if you handed over a
buffalochipz
Personal Jesus

Postby morganwilliams » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:23 am

i sold a buch of my records...including a nice REM test pressing. opened a bank accoun tin my sons name.
i don't think he could give a sh*t.
morganwilliams
Running Up That Hill

Next

Return to Vinylmania!