Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Thoughts on Thought....

Discussions about vinyl records: rarities, obscurities and collectibles, promos, mixes, etc. DJ-related discussions are welcome as well as techniques for recording & restoring vinyl records to CD/MP3.

Thoughts on Thought....

Postby Frayo » Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:21 am

The Thought is an obscure band I discovered through hearing the nice samples courtesy of Mike. I searched for the LP and I finally got it several months ago.,,,

I was wondering, how do you classify this band? Who are these people? (list at the end of message). Where are they now? What does the other self-titled album sound like compared to this one? What happened to them? What is this? Lemme know your thoughts (no stupid pun intended) and someone (if not Mike, then someone else) please tell me more about this interesting release.

Its a very good album and I seem to be listening to it all the time on rainy weekends like this one :)

People:
Kok de jong
Jan de jong
Wieb Zigtema
Rob Marienus

Track Listing:
*Every Single Day
Stranded With a Stranger
The Rise and Fall
*Lone Wolf
*Out of Oblivion
Eight Miles High
Maggie Maccoll
*Tonight Again
*Rapture
(*'s indicate my favorites-for those who have already heard the album)

ME: kajafan86@playful.com
AIM: RaiyoKun (Im online almost all the time)
Frayo
Room at the Top

Postby oneno » Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:32 am

Hope this helps
http://punkmodpop.free.fr/rousers_pic.htm
http://www.popinstituut.nl/ then search for the Rousers
http://www.theshavers.nl/

The Rousers from Broek op Langedijk (near Alkmaar) are one of the first Duch new wave bands. Main influence during their 9-year existence(from 1982 onwards as the Thought) is pop music from the sixties.The Rousers from Broek op Langedijk (near Alkmaar) are one of the first Duch new wave bands. Main influence during their 9-year existence(from 1982 onwards as the Thought) is pop music from the sixties.1979:In january of 1979 the brothers Wieb en Bonne Zigtema join the band, the latter taking up lead vocals. In october their first single is released on the independent Amsterdam Torso-label. The radio in Holland does not recognise the hit potential of "Magazine girl" and so the big audience doesn't hear it either...1980: In 1980 the album "A treat of new beat" is released. The cover, designed by Joost Swarte, is regarded as one of the most beautiful in dutch pop history: it shows a drawing of a typical dutch rock'roll life: a band in a fast food shop. Clear guitars, choirs and hand clapping show the merseybeat-influences. But the still the bands sounds very modern and can be compared to XTC, Squeeze or Amsterdam band the Nits. Lead vocalist Bonne Zigtema leaves the band at the end of the year and is replaced by Cock de Jong and Wieb Zigtema...1981: their second album "Touched" is released on Ariola, this contract is the first of a series of short contracts with major labels like Polydor and MCA. Touched is full of fresh, craft man like Britpop. The album does not sell very well, which is frustrating for a band making nice and good pop songs in good new wave traditions. Early 1981 bass player Marienus leaves and the De Jong brothers and Zigtema take a rest for a year.1982: after the rest the three men enter new roads as the Thought
1999: Cock and his Brother Theo de Jong on drums reemerge in rock'n'roll band The Shavers

Since I have always preferred making plans The passage of time is flicking dimly upon the screen;
I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between.
Perhaps my brains have turned to sand.

Brian Eno

Edited by - hensoneno on 07/07/2003 10:39:49
oneno
Room at the Top

Postby Frayo » Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:29 am

This helps A LOT!!
Thank you!!!!

Frayo
Room at the Top

Postby oneno » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:22 pm

Checked my The Thought album when I got home from work last night.

Self Titled 1982 White album with "the Thought" in cursive. Silver outline about an inch inside of the edges.a raised logo in the bottom center must be two "T's"?
A.side
1.There's a Boy
2.Rebels
3.The Prince of Darkness
4.These Days
5.Anger
B. Side
6.I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night
7.Atlanta Threat
8.Echoes Of The Unknown Voices
9.Darkness Still Calls
10.Stop Stand Still
On the Index Label Marketed by Enigma
I've yet to to rip it,but I'll left you know when I do.

Since I have always preferred making plans The passage of time is flicking dimly upon the screen;
I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between.
Perhaps my brains have turned to sand.

Brian Eno
oneno
Room at the Top

Postby MikeP » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:32 am

I would classify The Thought as sort of neo-psychedelic/garage/postpunk with a hint of goth in terms of their frequently gloomy subject matter. They actually released two self-titled albums in '82 and '84 respectively. The first album was originally issued in Europe in a green sleeve and then issued on Index in the States in a white sleeve. The original 'green album' issue has one track that didn't appear on the 'white album'. I have recorded both S/T albums to CD-R, minus 2-3 tracks from the first album, replacing them with 12" versions from the "I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night" 12" single that they released between the two albums. The 1984 MCA album is truly what I would deem a lost classic. The "Eight Miles High" video that they made was pretty cool and trippy as well!

I also got a hold of a copy of their rare 3rd album from 1986, along with two singles from that album. I plan to record this one to CD-R soon ... haven't even heard it yet!
MikeP
President Am I

Postby DDreamer » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:11 am

Self Titled 1982 White album with "the Thought" in cursive. Silver outline about an inch inside of the edges.a raised logo in the bottom center must be two "T's"?
A.side
1.There's a Boy
2.Rebels
3.The Prince of Darkness
4.These Days
5.Anger
B. Side
6.I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night
7.Atlanta Threat
8.Echoes Of The Unknown Voices
9.Darkness Still Calls
10.Stop Stand Still

This is strange, this must be their first album as The Thought,
but the album that i have is not the same.
These Days, Anger, I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night, are not on my album,
they have another name's
Am I, gettin'straight and solitude are the tittles on the album i have.
Also the cover is different, 2/3black with the name cursive and on the top
of the cover 3 faces.
DDreamer
Running Up That Hill

Postby Polly » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:36 am

Hi, i finally found someone who talks about The Thought!
here in italy where i live i can't find any album of The Thought!
i don't know where i can buy it! or maybe just for a little satisfaction find an Mp3 of Stop stand still!!!!!!!!!!!
Some one could help me?????
(mmmh give me an adress of a holland's music store where i can buy on line or something like that.....)
Thank you a lot!!!
Polly
Take On Me

Postby Frayo » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:22 am

I would try www.gemm.com , they have a lot of people who will ship internationally.

Edited by - Frayo on 09/02/2003 12:28:26
Frayo
Room at the Top

Postby Polly » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:42 pm

thank you!
Polly
Take On Me

Postby MikeP » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:22 am

There were two different pressings/versions of the first album--the first Dutch release had a green cover and the second release on Index records had a white cover with a different track order and a couple new tracks like 'DDreamer' noted. "Anger" is a great song ... I featured it as my Song of the Week around a year ago.
MikeP
President Am I

Postby DDreamer » Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:08 pm

The dutch release that i have is black\rose
DDreamer
Running Up That Hill

Postby DDreamer » Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:34 pm

In about 3 weeks i will have record all the albums of the thought to mp3, then i will make a download area on my company website.

www.nodoubtcomputers.nl
DDreamer
Running Up That Hill

Postby warhol » Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:44 pm

I'm so glad I found people talking about The Thought. I don't have a turntable right now and was jonesing to hear them...

I first was turned on to The Thought when I heard "Every Single Day" on George Gimarc's "Rock N Roll Alternative" in Dallas back in like 1985 or so. I wore out that tape from listening it too much. Thank God for vinyl. Funny how I haven't heard the album in years, but after seeing "Frayo's" track listing, I can remember every song on that album by heart. I remember copying the lyrics to "Lone Wolf" in my journal... Ah, teen angst...

I have a 1982 Dutch version that is gray with their name in white cursive lettering and with different track listings than the previous ones mentioned by "hensonemo" and "MikeP". Marketed and distributed by Thunderbolt
-----Side A (etched in the vinyl: "New Trousers without the 'T'". An obvious Rousers reference.)
There is a Boy
Rebels
The Prince of Darkness
These Days
Anger
-----Side B (etched in the vinyl: "WE CAN'T GO BACK TO 'THE START'")
Stop Stand Still
Getting Straight
Atlanta Threat
Echoes of the Unknown Voices
Darkness Still Stands

I have the 1982/1983 white-cover self-titled album that "hensoneno" mentions as well. Etched in the a-side is "New Trousers without the 'T'". On the b-side is etched "We couldn't think of one this time"

I also have the "I Had Too Much to Dream Last Night" 12" (Index 12.002). I think it is a US release because it says marketed by Enigma, Torrance, CA, but I can't tell since everything else looks Dutch. The a-side label says "I'm not ready to face the light." and has etched in the vinyl "Back to the Snack!" The b-side has the track listings for both sides and includes remix of "There is a Boy" and "Am I". Etched in the vinyl on the b-side is "dis is 'm dan." Whatever that means...

None of mine have the "Solitude" song "DDreamer" mentioned. When are those mp3's gonna be ready?

MikeP, do you still have a copy of that video of "Eight Miles High"? I see that Storm Thorgerson that directed it has a website at http://www.stormthorgerson.co.uk but you can't view it there. Anyone know if there are anymore videos made? What all can you tell us about that 1986 album? Thanks.

Douglas in Dallas
AIM/Yahoo: musselhaus

Edited by - warhol on 10/19/2003 20:55:07
warhol
Running Up That Hill

Postby Frayo » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:46 pm

Lone Wolf was such a great song. I love it. I listen to it every now and then

<hr noshade color="#999999" size="1" width="90%">
Frayo
Room at the Top

Postby DDreamer » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:37 am

It was a very hard time for me last months,i've had a lot of
thinking to do about the future.
Then on 29 nov a very good friend of my died by a heart attack, that was the moment for me to realize that's life is more than work.
It's also the moment for me to start recording my lp's, i will make a special corner on my site in a couple of days.
There will be more than just numbers of the Thought, the first numbers that i will place there are, silence and New Hope, numbers of the scissors whit my friend on drums and vocals.
New hope is recorded with help from Cock de Jong.

i have changed this reply, because the cause of his dead.
DDreamer
Running Up That Hill

Next

Return to Vinylmania!