Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Spectre General ~ Now With Vinyl

Discussions about vinyl records: rarities, obscurities and collectibles, promos, mixes, etc. DJ-related discussions are welcome as well as techniques for recording & restoring vinyl records to CD/MP3.

Spectre General ~ Now With Vinyl

Postby Spectre General » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:52 pm

This is kind of a landmark post for me because you see, I'm 21, and wasn't really around for the 80's like most of you. Well until this week, I've never owned a vinyl record, but that's all changed now.

I went into the local record shop here (Plan 9 Music) which is really the only store that fits the description of a "record shop" that I've ever seen. And, being a small business (I belive they have 3 locations in Virginia) they will accept trade-ins of just about anything. Well they've been around for quite some time, and have a pretty large vinyl selection, it's just that up till now, I've never really cared.

But that's all changed now, I decided to browse through their used record selection, and was amazed to find TONS of stuff that I had been unable to find on the net, so much so that I blew $96 on 74 LPs and 12"'s that are almost all OOP or only available on vinyl (most of them are $1 a piece.)

Being a fan of all 80's music, not all of it was New Wave, but I got a good selection of everything, including some New Wave classics such as:

Iam Siam - She Went Pop
Freur - Doot-Doot
Nash the Slash - And You Thought You Were Normal
The Motels - Little Robbers
M - The Official Secrets Act
Baltimora - Living in the Background (a personal favorite)

I'm also particularly excited about:

Benjamin Orr - The Lace (Sealed)
Several Starpoint albums I picked up
Jam Hammer - Miami Vice Theme 12"
Platinum Blonde - Standing in The Dark

And I was even able to pick up albums that have songs on them that I need to complete my collection of all of the songs ever in Miami Vice (a project I'm working on.) I got a Screaming Blue Messiahs, Broken Homes, and That Petrol Emotion album with a vice song on each as well.

Needless to say, this has been a good week for me!
Spectre General
The Jet Set

Postby bpdp3 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:43 pm

My only complaint about your post is that you "blew" $96; man, that was money well spent!!!

You're roughly half my age and I admire you getting into the 'outdated' format; I'm not sure if I would've or not if I were 20 now. But as you already found ou
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Return to Vinylmania!