Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Technical Question for MikeP and Others

Discussions about vinyl records: rarities, obscurities and collectibles, promos, mixes, etc. DJ-related discussions are welcome as well as techniques for recording & restoring vinyl records to CD/MP3.

Technical Question for MikeP and Others

Postby Jimbo » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:21 pm

In ripping a vinyl LP to a wave file what sampling rate do you use?
Do you do everything at 44.1kHz and never mix down or do you use 88.2 and only mix-down to 44.1 at the very end after you are done cleaning it up to remove pop, crackle and hum?

Right now I'm using a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card for the A-D conversion but the music sounds flat and nowhere as good as the conversions you are doing. It's all midrange, some lows and NO HIGHS.
Jimbo
Room at the Top

Postby Ollie Stench » Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:06 am

I've always ripped at 44.1. Digitizing at a higher rate and then sampling down is just an extra step I (personally) don't see any point to. If it's going to throw away half of the info from 88.2 down to 44.1 why not just sample at 44.1 to begin with?
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby MikeP » Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:58 am

Funny, I use a Santa Cruz card and I haven't had any complaints short of occasional line hum because my stereo and computer components are not on the same outlet. Are you using a pre-amp for your turntable?

I agree that 44.1kHz sampling is just fine. I
MikeP
President Am I

Postby fritzb » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:23 am

Yes, cleaning makes a big difference. I wish I had one of those Nitty Gritty devices too. I think any better sound card will do pretty well.

I find that the software you're using to clean up the sound is more important. Some of the standard noise re
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby Ollie Stench » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:46 am

I'm in the beginning stages of building my first proto-type record vaccuum. If it's a success I'll post the instructions. So far I've got the vaccuum, the hoses and the pvc for the cleaning wand. I need a pvc plug and some velvet, then I'm ready to sta
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby Jimbo » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:08 am

Thank you for all of the responses!!

I think I have figured out the problem. It seems that I have some serious cartrige and allignment problems that was causing the distorted sound I was hearing. Anyways, I took the turntable in and we listened to it t
Jimbo
Room at the Top

Postby fritzb » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:19 am

Yeah, that'll certainly do it! [;)]
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby skinnytie » Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:56 pm

[quote]Originally posted by fritzb
[br]I personally use the Steinberg DeClicker and DeNoiser DirectX plug-ins, which have lots of ca
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Return to Vinylmania!