Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Men At Work and Men Without Hats

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby Elf » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:25 pm

Men At Work. Really like the overplayed Down Under.
Elf
Switchin' to Glide

Postby romanticide » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:56 pm

Like 'em both. Saw 'em both ('82 for Work and '84 for Hats). Work Faves would be "Helpless Automaton", "Down Under", "Overkill", and a good bit of Colin's solo work. Loved his cameo on "Scrubs". Hats faves would be "Messiahs Die Young" and "Pop Goes t
romanticide
Take On Me

Postby Grunch » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:54 pm

Like them both, more so Men W/O Hats. Favorite track is Utter Space. They had lots of great tracks. Safetry Dance was a good song that hit it big, but was nowhere near as good as much of their other material. If you haven;t heard "Utter Space" it is a qui
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby ekahob » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:26 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by Dave[/i]
<br>Just noticed Men at Work won a Grammy for Best New Artist in 1982. Certainly warrants some res
ekahob
The Jet Set

Postby Electric friend » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:18 am

Men without hats is one of my favorite bands of all time, seriously. I even have their new album (No Hats Beyond this point) and they have returned to their synth roots even. I could do without the safety dance overplay myself, but the writing is quite go
Electric friend
Switchin' to Glide

Postby devildog » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:24 am

I liked both bands. I even have most of Colin Hay's solo works which are quite good. Both bands represent the uniqueness that made up the early 80s!
devildog
The Jet Set

Postby bowiestation » Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:39 am

Both are decent bands ! I'm leaning torwards Men Wthout Hats.I even played that album yesterday !
bowiestation
The Jet Set

Postby unguarded moment » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:26 am

Men At Work over Men Without Hats definitely. Although MAW is mostly *lightweight* their albums are overall more listenable, although MWH does have "I Know Their Name" and "Antarctica", two good songs. Ivan's voice can get annoying really quick, though.
unguarded moment
Personal Jesus

Postby philware » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:36 am

I'm a fan of MWOH.
MAW had their catchy moments but I really don't consider them New Wave. MWOH I consider very much new wave.
I guess that's why we have 32 flavors!
philware
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Grunch » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:33 am

Utter Space, by Men Without Hats, is a quintessential new wave track. It is absolutely fantastic. It appears on an early EP and is truly new wave at its best.
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby jaybag » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:17 am

Count me among the (apparent) few that loves both bands. I thought some of the best songs by both were their ballads:

MAW:
"Down By The Sea" (Business As Usual)
"I Can See It In Your Eyes" (Business As Usual)
"No Sign Of Yesterday" (Cargo)
MWOH:
jaybag
Personal Jesus

Postby KYYX4ever » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:29 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by jaybag[/i]
Colin Hay's appearance on "Scrubs" where he popped up everywhere singing "Overkill" was brillian
KYYX4ever
Room at the Top

Postby A2sportsguy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:11 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by KYYX4ever[/i]
<br><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quot
A2sportsguy
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Otters Walk Among Us » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:29 am

I think 'Overkill' may be the forgotten Men At Work hit primarily because the general public (that is, people not on this board) probably doesn't remeber the name of it. I'm sure if you asked people to name Men At Work songs, it would go: "Well, there's
Otters Walk Among Us
The Jet Set

Postby Glen » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:04 am

I am a fan of both bands. Who couldn't love the video for "Safety Dance?" And Men at Work were a great band as well, though probably more pop than new wave. In recent years, I have become a huge fan of Colin Hay's solo stuff, especially his acoustic stuff
Glen
Personal Jesus

PreviousNext

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions