Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

NEW groups with "OLD" sounds

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

NEW groups with "OLD" sounds

Postby Amosboy » Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:49 pm

It may be worth mentioning here that many recent groups are carrying the torch of the "old" sounds of the eighties. Some may call it a cheap imitation but the FEEL of eighties music is still alive in certain groups like DE/VISION, CHILDREN WITHIN, IRIS, FAITH ASSEMBLY, PAGE OF QUIRE, IRIS, PERFIDIOUS WORDS, BRAVE NEW WORLD, NEUROPA, WOLFSHEIM, FRONT & CENTRE, BLUE OCTOBER, etc. Old fans of FRONT 242 circa "Front by Front" might enjoy COVENANT and APOPTYGMA BERZERK. This might not be the place to introduce "new" groups but all of these groups (and many more) obviously loved and were influenced by eighties sounds.
Amosboy
Switchin' to Glide

Postby jenneth » Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:06 am

The Faint are another band with the old new wave style sound. They are very enegetic in concert. Check them out if you can.
jenneth
Running Up That Hill

Postby EchoBeach » Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:11 pm

If synth-music is your thing check out The Epoxies. People call them "New Wave" but to me they sound like Tubeway Army/Screamers with Lene Lovich singing.

For a new band thy're pretty cool. I should also mention that the singer "Roxy Epoxie" is quite
EchoBeach
Take On Me

Postby MikeP » Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:30 am

Yeah, I highly recommend The Epoxies as well! I've corresponded with lead singer Roxy on a couple occasions via email ... she said she discovered several obscure 80's bands through my site (e.g., Fay Ray). I got to see them locally a few weeks ago and the
MikeP
President Am I

Postby Go-Between » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:00 pm

I like the reunion trend that is also going on now. Elvis C. and his band "Cruel", Joe Jackson Band "Volumne Four", Go Go's (OK, they are still a fav of mind and really look good). My point is that even the new music sounds like it did in the 80's. It is
Go-Between
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Jason² » Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:07 am

The Chameleons UK reuninted!

Toured! Recorded a new (amazing) album! Toured again!

And then broke up again (last week)

*pout*
Jason²
The Jet Set

Postby stillcool » Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:03 am

Getting back to new bands with 'old' sounds, US label '9th Wave' http://www.ninthwaverecords.com has come up with the goods time and time again with dozens of 80's sounding acts like 'The Faint', 'Color Theory', 'Ganymede', 'Cosmicity' and others from all
stillcool
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Jay242 » Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:17 am

Ladytron, Vitesse and the Magnetic Fields are a few other 'new bands' with an old sound.
Jay242
Take On Me

Postby fabfourever » Mon May 05, 2003 4:27 am

And don't forget these two artists as well,although I'm not sure if the one band is even still together anymore.That group that I am referring to are "The Pulsars" whose style sounded like a combination of The Cars and The Church at times.I don't think th
fabfourever
Switchin' to Glide

Postby owlcave » Thu May 08, 2003 10:05 am

I may get in trouble for this,(first day as part of the discussion) but No Doubts' most recent offering "Hella Good" sure owes alot to synpop and Dale Bozzio.(Great synth sound!, Imagine what 80's recordings would sound like with today's technology) I hav
owlcave
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Plata66 » Thu May 08, 2003 11:26 pm

You gotta try Invisible College http://www.invisible-college.net/
heavily OMD influenced and still use synths!I just bought their first CDS1 release and was blown away! It maintains the course where the original OMD went commercial. And Bis is another t
Plata66
Take On Me

Postby Frau_Blucher » Thu May 22, 2003 5:48 am

My wife kept saying that Badly Drawn Boy's "Once around the block" sounded like somebody we used to really like. Then we put on the Stranglers "Golden Brown" one day and, BLAM, that was it! Dead ringers. Badly Drawn isn't New Wave by any stretch but there
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Bob M » Sun May 25, 2003 2:11 am

Hot Hot Heat - I am from Victoria BC Canada and have known these guys for 8-9 years (used to run a youth centre with a recording studioa dn shows and did a demo with a former bands of theirs) - these guys were in a usual punk band until they heard "Drums
Bob M
Running Up That Hill

Postby whenthemachinesrock » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:44 am

bis is pretty good, although i believe they broke up in 2002. there's an mp3 of theirs at the lookout records website (or here: http://www176.pair.com/appelgre/mp3/167 ... restle.mp3).

the static age is another new ba
whenthemachinesrock
Running Up That Hill

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions