Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Sending mp3s as email attachments??

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Sending mp3s as email attachments??

Postby Amosboy » Mon May 26, 2003 2:40 am

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about how I can send mp3s to friends as email attachments without them being bounced back to me because of size contraints. I recently tried to send another member of this message board a "cleaned up" copy of a song he wanted as an attachment and it, indeed, bounced back to me because of the size. (I'm still trying Jimbo!) I usually try to stay at 192 kbit/s to maintain good sound quality. Zipping the files doesn't really reduce significantly. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Amosboy
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Frau_Blucher » Mon May 26, 2003 4:42 am

Full versions of programs like WinZip (pc) or Stuffit (mac) allow you to compress and save as a multple-archive file - vestiges from the days of floppy discs (and new wave!). Default sizes were usually about 1.4 megs but should be selectable.

Another
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby fritzb » Mon May 26, 2003 4:52 am

Yeah Amosboy, that can be a real pain in the butt...

I've used a number of work arounds, each has it's pluses and minuses.

The best method is to host the file on some webspace and email the link to your recipient. Many isps offer a modest amount of
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby fritzb » Mon May 26, 2003 4:59 am

An after thought...

If you split your mp3s into mulitple files, keep in mind that email attachments are approximately 1.5 times as large as the original file. So if your file attachment limit is say 2 Mb, you'll want to keep your pieces under 1.3 Mb f
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Mon May 26, 2003 8:20 am

Fritzb has largely good advice. If your original material is an AIFF or WAVE, this splitting would be fine. However, be aware that you will essentially be transcoding the MP3 file and therefore degrading its quality if you go from a lossy MP3 to WAVE to l
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby newwavr176209 » Wed May 28, 2003 11:45 am

Just out of curiosity, what kinds of mp3s are you looking to send?

ME: kajafan86@playful.com
AIM: RaiyoKun (Im online almost all the time)
newwavr176209
Take On Me

Postby siouxmoux » Fri May 30, 2003 3:00 pm

[quote]
Yeah Amosboy, that can be a real pain in the butt...

I've used a number of work arounds, each has it's pluses and minuses.

The best method is to host the file on some webspace and email the link to your recipient. Many isps offer a modest
siouxmoux
Personal Jesus

Postby fritzb » Sat May 31, 2003 1:46 am

It probably has to do with the file names. Do you have spaces in your file names? If so, get rid of them or replace them with underlines or dashes and try it again.
fritzb
Room at the Top

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions