Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The state of radio today (aka KROQ blows!)

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby Jay242 » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:31 am

Well, unfortunately, WLIR went down the same road as KROQ. WLIR was once an innovative risk-taker that played the music no one else wanted to touch. IIRC they were one of the first stations to showcase U2 before they became the colossal giants of music
Jay242
Take On Me

Postby bruiser » Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:01 pm

> D-Day - Right to Know

There's a memory! Interesting that KROQ was playing a 45-rpm-only release from an obscure Austin band. That says a lot about what a good station they were.

I still have the 45 :)
bruiser
The Jet Set

Postby Rider » Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:05 am

Yep,

Radio in general straight up sucks! I don't care where you live, radio today is basically all formatted the same. I can go out to LA right now and listen to KROQ or I could turn on the local "Rock/Alternative" staion here in Louisiana, and it's al
Rider
Running Up That Hill

Postby Jason² » Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:39 pm

VH1 Classic!

That's all I'm sayin'.
Jason²
The Jet Set

Postby djed » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:44 pm

I have pretty much stopped listening to radio (outside of news and sports). There is no station in the NYC/NJ area worth listening to.

WLIR/WDRE/WLIR - Once they went off the air as WLIR in the mid-80s and came back as WDRE they were never the same.
djed
Switchin' to Glide

Postby British » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:06 pm

I live in the Twin Cities, and the radio stations here change as often as the weather does.

We have one '80s radio station, and I hate them with a passion. They play the same blasted top 40 80s tunes day in, day out. Occasionally they will go off track
British
Room at the Top

Postby lisstrat » Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:09 am

I lived in the Twin Cities for a couple years recently.

The current incarnation on the 105s, "Drive 105", isn't all that bad (for a voice-tracked station that we referred to as "Hard Drive 105").

Cities 97 used to be okay...still loved "Freedom Rock
lisstrat
Switchin' to Glide

Postby chinaski » Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:41 am

I moved to Oregon in the late 80s but I lived in OC up til then, and I recall the advent and rise of KROQ in the late 70s. They were a small station and the DJs were all into the New Wave scene and could actually bring in stuff they had heard and play it
chinaski
Running Up That Hill

Postby gazebo » Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:32 am

Hi British,

Did you listen to CFNY back in the 80's.
"for ONE day and play the stuff I wanna play. I'd make it like CFNY"..

I was just reading some of the Testimonials at the CFNY site, and came across this one from Chuck.

Having lived
gazebo
Personal Jesus

Postby British » Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:58 pm

I didn't live in Canada, nor have I heard CFNY in its real form. I just listen to the almost 2 gigs worth of MP3s on spiritofradio.ca and got hooked. Got to the point where I'd download MP3s of featured songs, often with great difficulty.
British
Room at the Top

Previous

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions