Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

WPIX in NYC - Brilliant way back when

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

WPIX in NYC - Brilliant way back when

Postby Bobby Retro » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:32 am

Is anybody from New York old enough to remember when for a few months in 1979 WPIX (I forgot the which number on the FM dial it was) was playing the best in cutting edge New Wave? For a brief moment in time there was a steady stream of Specials, XTC, Talking Heads, Selecter, Elvis Costello and other then current and up and coming artists. Compared to the other radio stations, it was a "Prague Spring" where for just a short while there was a chance for listeners here something different from montonous disco and ossified corporate rock. Alas, within a short time, the commercial pressure became too much and WPIX switched formats to just another disco station (which soon also proved to just as financially successful.

Bobby Retro
New York City
Bobby Retro
Running Up That Hill

Postby proufo » Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:50 pm

I moved back to NYC in Sept 79 and soon discovered WPIX-FM ("The next 100 years of Rock and Roll" IIRC).
Lisa Hamburger wasn't it?
Someone is writing a book about the station and its legacy.
proufo
Take On Me

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions