Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

late 80s-early 90s:: pop techno/synthpop/ pop

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

late 80s-early 90s:: pop techno/synthpop/ pop

Postby Frayo » Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:45 pm

I was wondering, what are some good (or cheesy) artists that fall in this category?
I dont care how horrid the sound may be, but I like it! This is the part of the 80s most people tend to hate (this mainly applies to people my age).

Normals in this category:
lots (I mean LOTS) of keyboards, FX infested guitars, Obvious fake-sounding cheap drum machines, generally high pitched and very very 'happy' sounding. Punchy synth bass, very very danceable.
The kind of music that went into every video game that came out in 1991 and 1992.

Artists and songs?
Im not sure of who/whens/whats of it all, but I do know a lot of its from the late 80s and early 90s. Its like the 80s extreamified before Nervanna came out and started the grundge movement.

Some artitst that come to mind:
Paula Abdul, Rick Asltey, Living in a box, Sly Foxx, Vanilla Ice, DeBarg, Nu Shooz, Prince (mainly "You Got the Look") and some others that I cant think of. Help requested, please.

ME: kajafan86@playful.com
AIM: RaiyoKun (Im online almost all the time)
Frayo
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:29 pm

Come on Frayo, you're gonna make me have nightmares of clubbing to Pebbles and TLC. Thank god the likes of The Smashing Pumpkins and Massive Attack came along to rescue me! In all seriousness, I think Soul II Soul is the class of this field - if I'm readi
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby newwavr176209 » Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:22 pm

Thanks. This is the 400TH post in the General Discussion Forum BTW:

Its now about 2:00am. I seem to have stopped sleeping :)

Look for the silly pop music!
The kind that makes no sence. Where the singers wear green jackets and zebra pants, and guys
newwavr176209
Take On Me

Postby lisstrat » Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:05 am

Don't disrespect the strap-on keyboards. Those were fresh ;+)

Cheesy stuff:
Keith Sweat-"I Want Her" (1988)
Pretty Poison-"Catch Me I'm Falling" (1987)
Rick Astley-"Together Forever" (1988)
Prince-"Batdance" (1989), "Thieves in the Temple" (1991)
lisstrat
Switchin' to Glide

Postby fritzb » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:12 am

I would break it into a few basic styles. First you have your soul, funk, and latin influenced acts like Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam, Exposé, Pretty Poison, Taylor Dayne, Paula Abdul, and Madonna. Folks generally refer to this style as "Freestyle".

The othe
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby newwavr176209 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:52 pm

I was not disrespecting Strap-On keyboards. Those things are my ultimate aspirations, particually ones like the MOOG Liberation and the Casio AZ-1....
Those things were so cool!!

I wish I had one, but honestly the band Im involved in would shoot me if
newwavr176209
Take On Me

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions