Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Bands you have mistakened for other bands

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Bands you have mistakened for other bands

Postby British » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:47 am

Spandau Ballet's "Gold" - When i heard this while driving in Vice City I swore this was ABC. They sound alike in some ways. Ironically, they toured together recently

"Fantasy" by Aldo Nova - I'm sorry, but this sounds like the all-female butt rock band Vixen.

anything by Nick Gilder - sounds like Cheryl Crow.

"Don't put another Dime" by The Flirts - sounds like Kim Wilde sung it

Can anyone think of any other mistakened listenings?
British
Room at the Top

Postby MikeP » Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:00 am

Well, I can't think of an 80's example right off hand, but when I first heard "You Get What You Give" from New Radicals, I swore it had to be a new World Party (Karl Wallinger) song! Too bad ... could have helped jump start Karl's career, although he scor
MikeP
President Am I

Postby Frau_Blucher » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:18 am

Blur's "She's so high" - as someone else pointed out, they varied so much anyway, but this sounded like neo-psychelic revival stuff like Jesus Jones or Charlatans.

New Order's "Shellshock" - before Sumner's distinctive vocal starts, I always think it's
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Luna Lure » Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:04 am

I always think Elektric Music's "Kissing The Machine" is an OMD song, but it is not. Great song though -- it's on my mp3 player that I run to.

best,
Dan

"Photography with a Vision"
http://www.cooganphoto.com
Luna Lure
Switchin' to Glide

Postby randy » Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:45 am

In speaking of THE THE'S Kingdom Of Rain , I believe the b-side was Jealous Of Youth. If you do not know it you should check it out. Awesome tune.
randy
Room at the Top

Postby tglopez » Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:10 pm

Speaking of The The, "Mind Bomb (1989)" is pretty much a masterpiece. It won an engineering award shortly after it was released (not sure if it was a grammy). It was recently remastered and reissued. I highly recommend it.
tglopez
Take On Me

Postby Luna Lure » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:08 pm

I always think Camouflage's "The Great Commandment" is similar sounding to Depeche Mode -- it would be great to hear a DM rendition of it. Great song and it's also on my mp3 player that I run to.

best,
Dan

"Photography with a Vision"
http://www
Luna Lure
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Jay242 » Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:58 am

Cause and Effect and Red Flag sound a lot like Depeche Mode,.
Jay242
Take On Me

Postby proufo » Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:00 am

Blue Emotion by Fiat Lux- isn't this really the Human League? I thought so for years.
proufo
Take On Me

Postby thefxc » Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:56 pm

I simply can't tell SSQ from Berlin.

I once swore that Breathe's "Don't Tell Me Lies" was by Glass Tiger.

Boy are they a couple of sorry examples.
thefxc
Personal Jesus

Postby siouxmoux » Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:30 pm

I see this all the time on kazaa lite.

Relax is NOT by Duran Duran. ITS Frankie Goes To Hollywood. Everyone should know this by now.

http://tv200.homestead.com
siouxmoux
Personal Jesus

Postby Frau_Blucher » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:40 pm

Yeah, P2P does create a lot of confusion. Even close friends who should know better have thought Mexican Radio (Wall of Voodoo) or Pop Music (M) were Devo. I was so ashamed...I thought I raised them better than that.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby stillcool » Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:37 am

On P2P programs Real Life's 'Send Me An Angel' has been mistaken for the metal band The Scorpions as the vocals are so similar. Modern Piano-Pop band Color Theory have had entire albums mistaken for unreleased Depeche Mode Exciter tracks and the lead sin
stillcool
Switchin' to Glide

Postby lisstrat » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:58 am

Actually, The Scorpions did release a song called "Send Me An Angel", around 1991, two years after the re-release of Real Life's hit. The Scorps' song is an insipid guitar ballad. But I can see the similarities in both bands' vocals.

I've also mistak
lisstrat
Switchin' to Glide

Postby DJ UNO » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:50 am

This goes back to the 60's but for years I thought the single "Lazy Day" was by "The Fifth Dimension" instead of "Spanky And Our Gang" Anyone else ever make that mistake?
DJ UNO
Running Up That Hill

Next

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions