Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Best New Wave Clubs

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby diglife » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:38 pm

Club 6400 rocked...it totally influenced me and my musical taste. I even started a site dedicated to it!

www.club6400.net

Feel free to swap mix tapes there!
diglife
Running Up That Hill

Postby xcess-n-htown » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:48 am

In Houston, 6400 got all the recognition because of the live broadcast from the club. Club Xcess was a larger club and had more people in it then 6400. But before Xcess, 6400, and NRG's, the clubs in Houston that got the New Wave started was Numbers (still going on) and The Roxy. Numbers started in 1979 as a disco, but switched to New Wave in the early 80's and Roxy was a small club playing New Wave back in the early 80's as well.
xcess-n-htown
Take On Me

Postby darthanalisa » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:20 am

Holy shit I must know all ya! This Analise! What has happend to everyone? http://www.myspace.com/10859501

[quote][i]Originally posted by Quite Life[/i]
<br>It's so sad that no one from the bay area comes here to post. [:(]

It would be so fun to talk about our clubs like the Mab, or the Stone , Off Browdway, Keystone Berkeley, Keystone Palo Alto, Berkeley Square, The Omni, The I Beam, The Paladium, Stargaze, Lips, Primary, 15 Minutes, Twilight Zone, One Step Byond, the Kenel Club, X's New Wave Annex.... I could go on and on and on. Plan and simple if we had more Bay Area posters on this board we would easaly demonstrate to the East Coasters and So Calers that we had the best New Wave scene in the western hemisphere. And that the Quake really was a better radio station than KROQ. Remember we had Jed the Fish first.

just a thought,
jr
[/quote]
darthanalisa
Running Up That Hill

Postby darthanalisa » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:59 am

"Zowie Zoo" I had an x in that band

[quote][i]Originally posted by Moejeau[/i]
<br>So many nights and early mornings were spent at all of these clubs.
The Square, The Omni, The Stone, The Twilight Zone (I had my VIP pass for years) One Step Beyond, Palladium (or as we referred to it The GetLaidium) X's New Wave Annex, I remember going to a big party there one night...and then there was Lipps and Primary in Walnut Creek. Primary was at Heather Farms if I remember correct.

Long nights many many years ago, I can't play like I used too. My body gets mad at me. There are only a few people the remember those days - or admit to remembering them.

The days when the Bay Area had a club scene. It's good to think back forgetting the clothes we all wore and remember the good - boozed out - smoked out fun we used to have.

- Moe [:D]

[quote]Originally posted by Quite Life
[br]Way back in the day about 100 zillion years ago (1979-1980)there was a place called X's New Wave Annex on Colubus Ave in North Beach San Francisco that played New Wave music I believe and corect me if I am wrong but that was Steve X's gig befor going on to the Palladium which played New Wave on Thursdays and Fridays it was right off of Brodway just a few blocks from the Mabuhay Gardens and the Stone where many of our favorite early new wave/punk bands played in the early 80's...

anyone remember Stargaze in Fremont, CA????
or Primary in Wanlut Creek, CA???
Did you guys go cradel robbing at Lipps Walnut Creek, CA or Twilight Zone Alameda, CA in the late 80's???

Hey lets go see Voice Farm for the 300th time at the Berkeley Square???

Well The Berkeley Square was cool and so was the Keystone West al lot of gr[8] shows played there.

Did anyone go to One Step Beyond in San Jose, CA???

Clubbing was fun... Going to shows were better but new waver parties were absolutly the best.

cheers,
jr
[/quote]
[/quote]
darthanalisa
Running Up That Hill

Postby darthanalisa » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:02 am

one step beyond is it still there?

[quote][i]Originally posted by aerek[/i]
<br>[quote]Originally posted by Quite Life
[br]Way back in the day about 100 zillion years ago (1979-1980)there was a place called X's New Wave Annex on Colubus Ave in North Beach San Francisco that played New Wave music I believe and corect me if I am wrong but that was Steve X's gig befor going on to the Palladium which played New Wave on Thursdays and Fridays it was right off of Brodway just a few blocks from the Mabuhay Gardens and the Stone where many of our favorite early new wave/punk bands played in the early 80's...

anyone remember Stargaze in Fremont, CA????
or Primary in Wanlut Creek, CA???
Did you guys go cradel robbing at Lipps Walnut Creek, CA or Twilight Zone Alameda, CA in the late 80's???

Hey lets go see Voice Farm for the 300th time at the Berkeley Square???

Well The Berkeley Square was cool and so was the Keystone West al lot of gr[8] shows played there.

Did anyone go to One Step Beyond in San Jose, CA???

Clubbing was fun... Going to shows were better but new waver parties were absolutly the best.

cheers,
jr
[/quote]
[/quote]
darthanalisa
Running Up That Hill

Postby bscheffel » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:20 am

In chicago the big new wave clubs besides Neo were The Orbit Room and Berlin (still going strong).
bscheffel
Take On Me

Postby cervee » Sat May 28, 2005 8:27 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by repoman[/i]
<br>Let's see...there was Goodies in Fullerton, the BBC in Santa Ana, the Peppermint Elephant in Upland, Florentine Gardens on Sunset, and of course Dillon's in Westwood. But my favorite club was on Beverly and La Cienega Blvd (across from the Beverly Center and next door to the old folks home) and I cannot for the life of me remember the name. I went there just about every Wed & Fri nights(little help with the name NE1?). It was suspiciously burned down if memory serves. Ah there was nothing like heading over to the Atomic cafe after a night of clubbing for some authentic chinese food (where if you did not get a cockroach in your food, your meal was free!) and relaxing to Sid singing, My Way, on the old jukebox. Those were the days.....
[/quote]The Odyssey
cervee
Running Up That Hill

Postby bhorv67 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:06 am

I used to work at Rumrunner/Heartbeat on LI. in 1986-87, and my band played there regularly. It was such a depressing day when it was closed, and demolished. I used to drive up there to see the old place, and look at the manufacturing plant that was put in it's place. I also remember talking to the owners (Jim Thurston)- about how much the neighborhood couldn't wait for their lease to be up so they would be gone. I have fond memories of that place, the girls I met, the dates I went on, just growing up there. sounds weird huh? I still remember the day it was closed- the bartenders (Bob S, Mikey S, Old Man)- were giving away the half empty liquor bottles. If you listen real closley if you drive up there at night when it's quiet, you can still here the sounds of Mazarin, Kevetsky, DJ Rude Boy, and all the national acts that played there. I will always remeber this place.

[quote][i]Originally posted by BHols[/i]
<br>I used to go RumRunners all of the time when it was called 'Heart Beat.' No one ever mentions Heart Beat for some reason. Who'd think Oyster Bay would be the place to go on a Saturday night?
I saw tons of great gigs there too. Modern English, Gene Loves Jezebel, Icicle Works, Book Of Love, The Ramones, APB, Dead Milkmen (in the middle of a huge snowstorm. They came on around 2.30 in the AM & I was one of something like 19 or 20 people that stayed to see them.)

Anyone else have any good Heart Beat memories?
[/quote]
bhorv67
Running Up That Hill

Postby DavidRavenMoon » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:40 am

The Dirt Club in Bloomfield, NJ was a happening place for a while, until Johnny Dirt the owner started booking metal bands! I saw some great bands there like Wall of Voodoo, Delta 5, THE THE , and more I can't remember! Then of course The Loop Lounge, The Meadowbrook (which is now a church... I live about 5 minutes away), Aldo's Hideaway... I remember Flock of Seagull played there every Thursday for a month! Also Gary Newman hung out there for a while. Patrick's in New Brunswick, Maxwell's in Hoboken...

In NY there was Danceateria, The Ritz, The Mud Club, Harrah (sp?).. a bunch of private places... I think one was named Stick Ball....
DavidRavenMoon
Switchin' to Glide

Postby marie3 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:02 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by bhorv67[/i]
<br>I used to work at Rumrunner/Heartbeat on LI. in 1986-87, and my band played there regularly. It was such a depressing day when it was closed, and demolished. I used to drive up there to see the old place, and look at the manufacturing plant that was put in it's place. I also remember talking to the owners (Jim Thurston)- about how much the neighborhood couldn't wait for their lease to be up so they would be gone. I have fond memories of that place, the girls I met, the dates I went on, just growing up there. sounds weird huh? I still remember the day it was closed- the bartenders (Bob S, Mikey S, Old Man)- were giving away the half empty liquor bottles. If you listen real closley if you drive up there at night when it's quiet, you can still here the sounds of Mazarin, Kevetsky, DJ Rude Boy, and all the national acts that played there. I will always remeber this place.

[quote][i]Originally posted by BHols[/i]
<br>I used to go RumRunners all of the time when it was called 'Heart Beat.' No one ever mentions Heart Beat for some reason. Who'd think Oyster Bay would be the place to go on a Saturday night?
I saw tons of great gigs there too. Modern English, Gene Loves Jezebel, Icicle Works, Book Of Love, The Ramones, APB, Dead Milkmen (in the middle of a huge snowstorm. They came on around 2.30 in the AM & I was one of something like 19 or 20 people that stayed to see them.)

Anyone else have any good Heart Beat memories?
[/quote]
[/quote]
I to was at Heartbeat just about every Saturday night. I saw APB, The Ramones, and Mission UK that I can remember. My girlfriend dated one of the bouncers. (Tex?) I loved that place. I forget the bartenders, but one of them used to make us a huge Long Island ice tea in the glass that held the matches. It was an all-nighter with two straws. Man, I loved that place. I was also friends with one of the guys who worked there. I think his name was Les. It is sad to drive by there and see a parking lot. [:(]
marie3
Der Kommissar

Postby 2Nu » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:52 am

[quote]Originally posted by rewindmylife
[br] I grew up on Long Island and the place to go to dance to your favorite New Wave music was The Malibu! (It's in Depeche Mode 101, in case anyone has watched that recently.) The place was huge and there was plenty of space to do your thing or just hang out and listen to the music...they closed it about 4 or 5 years ago and there really hasn't been a place since.[/quote]Sorry but I needed to repost this cause there is a link to a DJ list pdf
[quote]Originally posted by 2Nu
I fondly remember back when I lived in Long Beach (NY) 92-00, My wife and I paid a visit to the Bu during their last few swan song days(mid 90's). We struck up a rapport with a DJ who was doing his final gig that night. Man was this guy dejected and bitter over something! But when we rapped with him over some playlist favorites of ours, man did his demeanor change! He started rifling through his vinyl and cued up.
It was like he wanted to go out in a blaze of glory (nevermind the place was almost empty) He proceeded to run through our request list (too many to mention) and we just freestyled our merry hearts away (no kidding)
The best part, a few songs into the set,was when this DJ came out onto that huge dance floor and rocked out with us like he'd been freed from some personal prison sentence. This guy was experiencing his own private Idaho. Must have stayed there until 3:45 am (mind you we were OTH nuwavers by that time. I'll always remember that outing and that still unknown DJ. Halcyon days they were indeed.[/quote]
<a href="http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/42cec0cf_e917/bc/NWO/Malibu+DJ+Playlist.pdf?bfVoszCBy_NImZ_V" target="blank">(I still have a copy of his personal playlist)</a> (give it some time to load)

Hey, all you former Malibu DeeJays! Check the link, maybe it was you![;)]
2Nu
Room at the Top

Postby Loulou63 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:20 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by gilson80boy[/i]
<br>Haven't read through the whole postings, so it may have been mentioned already. Did anybody go to Poseurs (spelling?) in Georgetown, DC? It was an institution for the goth and new wave scene.
[/quote]
I used to go to Poseurs - from 85 until 91 or so. This may be an old post (can't find a date on it!) - but I was thinking just the other day how, in retrospect, it was so incredibly cheesy...with the video screen (of course, since we were always sitting on the stage, it wasn't really easy to follow what was up there anyway). It's good to know there are other Poseurs survivors out there!
Loulou63
Running Up That Hill

Postby GarageBill » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:04 pm

I was on Long Island during the New Wave Years too. I saw the punk bands at CBGBs in the mid/late 70s. I started hearing New Wave on the radio, predominately on WNYU's New Afternoon Show. (Later, even WPLJ played New Wave, I remember they added Whip It and Private Idaho to their playlist.) Hofstra played New Wave too, on WVHC. Finally, a dance club opened on LI, it was Legz in Valley Stream. I believe this was the spring/summer of 1980. Next, Uncle Sam's opened for Spit on Wednesday nights in the summer of 1980. I was there the second Wednesday it was open, and many many times thereafter. I saw the Romantics there, and the Nervus Rex. Spize was a great place, on route 110 right across from my college, Poly. Paris NY was very cutting edge. Reds, diagonally across from Spit, was another great place to dance. I saw the Ramones there, as well as the Chesterfield Kings (Garage revival band). Malibu was great, of course, plenty of room to dance. Someone else mentioned Speaks. I don't remember much New Wave going on there. I saw Twisted Sister and Zebra there all the time, it was mainly regular rock.

During the early 80's many other small clubs played New Wave too. There was Muffins on Hempstead Turnpike in Farmingdale, they had a cool DJ who would play requests. I remember dancing to the B-52s and early Pretenders there. Magics, next to the Levittown Roller Rink became my main hang out because it was close to home. The DJ there, Tommy, played lots of great dance tunes.

In 1983, I went to LA on business and visited a place called the Red Onion, I think that was the name... It was divided into 3 sections, one was a restaurant, the other was a New Wave dance club, and upstairs was a game room. I think there was a small chain of clubs with this name. Any West Coasters remember this place? I think it was in Burbank.

I was in Houston/Dallas in 1984 and went to a New Wave dance club that was in a converted movie theatre. They took the seats out but the floor still sloped down. I have no idea what it's name was, but I think it was by the LBJ parkway. Any Texans recall this place?

Thanks for all the Long Island memories, great posts!
GarageBill
Switchin' to Glide

Postby ALTERSOUND » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:22 pm

(((S U B C U L T U R E)))
Every Friday Night @ Molly’s – Amityville, NY
140 Merrick Rd Amityville, NY (On The Corner of Rt.110)

FREE ADMISSION Till 11PM
(Print This For Reduced Admission After 11PM)

www.alternativesounds.com/subculture.htm

Join Us This & Every Friday as DJ CODY: Spins the best of
80's New Wave
New & Classic Synthpop, Electro, Industrial & More...

www.alternativesounds.com/subculture.htm

At The Bar:
Hahn, Bunny
& Danny
Malibu Drink Specials all night
$2.00 Bud & Bud Lights till Midnight
$2.00 Soco & Lime

For More Info: Call 516-322-2698
or E-Mail: djcody@alternativesounds.com

Friday July 29, 2005
Don't Miss A Live Performance By:

Halovox
(If you love Depeche Mode, you will love these guys)
Come down early to see Halovox perform Live. Showtime: 9-11

Subculture
140 Merrick Rd
Amityville, NY
(On The Corner of Rt.110)

WLIR "Subculture Live" (9pm Sundays)
Tune in every Sunday night at 9pm to 107.1 WLIR or log onto www.wlir.fm for "Subculture Live" an hour long show
that will take you back to the music that you grew up with. also keep you up to date with the latest synthpop and electro.
DJ Cody hosts "Subculture Live" The request lines will be open (631) 648 1071 and the chat room will be up.
www.alternativesounds.com/subculture.htm we will be broadcasting all over the world, so keep it tuned to WLIR Sundays
ALTERSOUND
Running Up That Hill

Postby stubby63 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:55 pm

Reading this thread brought back memories. Spize was a second home for me. I was there every Friday and Saturday during the eighties.

Though I did go to the others. Every night of the week, there was a club open. Spit on Mondays and Wednesdays. Paris NY and Thrush were open Thursdays. 007 and the Loop were the Tuesday night spots, I think. Miss those days, not like that today.

There's a dancefloor on Friday's at Subculture, but Saturday is pretty barren. I will sometimes travel into Manhattan to the Batcave. Not the same music.
stubby63
Running Up That Hill

PreviousNext

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions