Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Best New Wave Clubs

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Best New Wave Clubs

Postby rewindmylife » Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:58 am

I grew up on Long Island and the place to go to dance to your favorite New Wave music was The Malibu! (It's in Depeche Mode 101, in case anyone has watched that recently.) The place was huge and there was plenty of space to do your thing or just hang out and listen to the music...they closed it about 4 or 5 years ago and there really hasn't been a place since.

Anyone else know of any place anywhere in the world that still plays great classic New Wave songs?? I'm just curious...and I want to know in case I ever venture out into the city it's located!
rewindmylife
Take On Me

Postby Ollie Stench » Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:39 am

First Avenue is still the place in Mpls. The first Wednesday of the month some friends of mine put on "Rock Star" which originally started with the idea of playing 70's glam with a bit of early punk and new wave thrown in, but the majority of the playlist seems to be split fairly evenly into 3rds. Chris Bjorkland is the DJ.

Friday nights in the VIP room (a room off to the side of First Ave's mainroom) has some new Electro thing going on. I haven't made it down to check it out yet.

Ground Zero is still the hotbed for Goth, Techno and Industrial. Once in awhile they throw in some old Numan, Depeche Mode, Cure etc.
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby Blaster » Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:24 am

Here's some of my memories!!
I also went to Malibu on Long Island. The Halloween Parties were fun. Other Long Island Clubs :

"Spit" was a slight notch above Malibu, but on most weekends initially it was not Spit, but "Uncle Sams" & played more mainstream dance music.
On the nights it was "Spit" the Uncle Sames lights were off, interior design changes, The front entrance closed, & the Rear entrance was lit up & became the "Front" of Spit, kinda cool.

"BeBop" was also a good scene in the early 80's. It was located on the lower level of "Escapes" disco. Upstairs was a disco, & Downstairs was also a large new wave club. The bottom was dark, & it was funny to climb the stairs to "visit" the well lit White Disco, & then back down into BeBop... I still have a postcard from Escapes advertizing a night that a relatively unknown "Madonna" would be performing there...

There weas also a club called "Reds" across from Spit for a while. It was OK but didn't last too long.

In New Jersey...
The Meadowbrook in Cedar Grove was a Huge club into cutting edge music of the time. It was a ballroom in the 20's & 30's. Many 80's acts played there.
Aldo's Hideaway in Lyndhurst was a small club but had a great music scene. I was actually there about 6 years ago & they still had a weekend night of 80's style new music. Don't know if they are still hanging on.
The "Soap Factory" in Palisades Park was a very Early new music scene club (78-80). It was actually a "Soap Factory" at one time. They started out as a disco in the 70's, & there was even a syndicated "Soap Factory Disco" TV show on for a few years. Clips from the show are still used occasionally on VH-1 & similar retrospective shows. I probably first got turned on to many then "unkown, import & independent" artists like Gary Neuman, New Musik ("Straight Lines"), Mi-Sex, The Rubinoos, The Records, Face Dancer, STIFF Artists, ect at the Soap Factory.

In NYC
There was Privates between about 1978-1980/81. It was a really cool Large club on the upper east side, & many artists would go there themselves. Revillos, Blue Angel & loads more were always at the bar or wherever.......
Blaster
Take On Me

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:08 am

And what about Spize, a mainstay of Long Island new wave?! It's the place I heard music from the likes of Ledernacken, Time Zone, and Tones on Tail. Perfect size for a Shreikback concert.

Spit was great, but a little too mainstream (i.e., lots of Billy Idol). Not a surprise since, as you mention, it was a disco that wanted to make use of the premises on Mondays and Wednesdays.

Then there was Paris New York and the Mad Hatter... sorry, a bit off topic.
Dave
The Jet Set

Postby Monimania » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:19 am

Im From LI also, Spit(not Spit rocks), Spize, Malibu, 007, Reds, Be-bop (in escapes) also the Subway in queens, Thrush (later on) :) I went out every night of the week!!!
Monimania
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Justj0hn » Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:44 am

Clubs I regularly frequent that still have somewhat of a new wave agenda mixed in with "gothic/industrial".

NY:(Saturday)The Batcave(Downtime).
The Pyramid for Re:Mission(Thursday)....which is now located at a rather impressive club called the Opaline.
Sundown(Friday)at Flamingo East.

NJ:QXT's(Saturday)in Newark
The Loop Lounge(Wednesday)in Passaic.
and yes, Aldo's Hideaway(Fridays)is still going strong.

I can't not mention the Melodybar in New Brunswick, NJ for "Savethewave" Tuesdays which I started attending in the early 90's and is solely responsible for exposing me to an inordinate amount of obscure punk/post punk/new wave bands. Sadly the Melody abruptly closed in '99/'00.

j0hn.......
Justj0hn
Personal Jesus

Postby liquid engineer » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:25 pm

Hands down, the best NEW WAVE/RETRO club is NUMBERS in Houston, TX, it's still open and Friday and Saturdays are the best! #'s is HUGE, 2 levels and awesome obscure new wave videos and super cheap drinks! go to www.numbersnightclub.com and see for yourself! It's worth a trip down there!!
liquid engineer
Running Up That Hill

Postby Ollie Stench » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:35 pm

Early/mid 90's there was a club in DT Mpls called The Rogue that was the first place in these parts to do a "retro" night, called "Graffitti's Revenge" on Thursday nights. Really erally cool, I went every Thursday night for 2 years straight!
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:32 pm

You have all mentioned some of the great clubs of Long Island. For me and many others it all began at LEGZ
Rob
Take On Me

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:50 pm

Ok here's the way it was for me in the early 80's on Long Island ~ First was LEGZ on the weekends, Blitz on Tuesdays, Spit or Camouflage on Wednesdays, and sometimes Paris NY ....... And then there was always the city for after hours.
Rob
Take On Me

Postby Monimania » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:28 am

Legz, I was way too young for that, but eveyone I knew went there, but I do have an old Island Ear with an add for Legz :)
Monimania
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Hockeybird » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:10 am

Legz started it all on L.I.

The Bondage babies !

I hired one of them to work at Paris NY on Tues. nights if anyone remembers that.

Since Paris was my club, I liked it the best....but there were some great DJs at other clubs I missed hearing a lot as I worked almost 7 nights for about a decade.

Slave was a great DJ who took over for me at Paris and went on to become one of the best. John from Thrush and 007 was great.

There are so many.

And don't forget the NYC hotspots, Dancatiria (sp), the Ritz....many others.
Hockeybird
Switchin' to Glide

Postby rewindmylife » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:50 am

so many clubs that I forgot about...Paris was great! I think I started going there after you left, Hockeybird, because I think I remember Slave...ahh, the good old days. Man, if I was rich, I wouldn't spend my money on 20 cars and 6 summer homes...I'd buy a building and turn it into a New Wave club.
rewindmylife
Take On Me

Postby BHols » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:38 am

I used to go RumRunners all of the time when it was called 'Heart Beat.' No one ever mentions Heart Beat for some reason. Who'd think Oyster Bay would be the place to go on a Saturday night?
I saw tons of great gigs there too. Modern English, Gene Loves Jezebel, Icicle Works, Book Of Love, The Ramones, APB, Dead Milkmen (in the middle of a huge snowstorm. They came on around 2.30 in the AM & I was one of something like 19 or 20 people that stayed to see them.)

Anyone else have any good Heart Beat memories?
BHols
Personal Jesus

Postby Hockeybird » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:42 am

I was the DJ there...and hosted a lot of the shows you listed. I was not the host of the Dead Milkmen show....but I did get to work with them in Pittburgh when I worked at LIR's sister station WXXP.

Me and Rudeboy ! At Heartbeat and Lacache. We each worked one night at each place every Fri & Sat. for over a year back around '85.

RUDEBOY !

I still talk to him from time to time.
Hockeybird
Switchin' to Glide

Next

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions