Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Recalling a Good Memory

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Recalling a Good Memory

Postby swash » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:45 am

I was working at a Record Store here in Kansas City back in 1982 and Alan Hunter who was a VJ on MTV at the time (Remember Him?) made an appearance at our store to a crowd of about a thousand people!! I was working the counter at the time and if I remember spinning REM's "Chronic Town" EP with everyone asking who it was that was playing overhead!!!!!! Just thought Id share that!! Swash
swash
Switchin' to Glide

Postby frodis » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:48 am

Oh yeah, I remember Alan Hunter, and Martha, and the cool black guy. Those were the best days of MTV. It was pure back then, just great videos and some news here and there. At least there's VH1 Classic. MTV is crap today...too bad...
frodis
Switchin' to Glide

Postby lisstrat » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:51 pm

Which store? I'm from Lawrence, Kansas, originally. I just recently moved back to the Kansas City area.

"Your solution is both fair and democratic ... and I want no part of it"
lisstrat
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Luna Lure » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:40 pm

I remember the beginning of MTV (I was 18 in 1981) and it was great those first few years (do they even play music now?)

I miss the 120 Minutes show too -- that was great.

best,
Dan

"Photography with a Vision"
http://www.cooganphoto.com
Luna Lure
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Plata66 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:51 pm

I still have about 6 vhs tapes that I made from 120 minutes, still watch them time to time.It was wierd seeing (Cult Classics) back then (Bauhaus Bela Lugosi is dead...).I also worked at a "Record Bar" at the mall in Moline Il, at that time frame, still h
Plata66
Take On Me

Postby 1981baby » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:36 am

120 minutes is still around. they just changed the name to "Subteranean". the playlist of new alternative videos mixed in with old alt rock songs is still there i believe. that was my introduction to dramarama, when they played "anything, anything", back
1981baby
Personal Jesus

Postby DJ UNO » Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:52 am

Cool Hensoneno!! I worked at "Record Bar" from 83' to 86' in Kansas City. (We sold them same pin/buttons as You did and I still have a few...XTC ,Clash etc.) I was working at "Streetside Records" when Alan Hunter made his appearance in 82'...BTW I am a
DJ UNO
Running Up That Hill

Postby Plata66 » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:19 am

swash...dude.you have any of the record bar memorabilia/ logo a fake bay ruth bar stating "Record Bar" In front of a vinyl 12"?I remeber 12:00 special openings for releases and picked up a bunch of posters. Krokus,Steve Hillage,Early "Police',Japan and th
Plata66
Take On Me

Postby DJ UNO » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:32 am

hensoneno....I had up to a few years ago when it finally fell to pieces, an old Record Bar T-Shirt with the "Candy Bar" logo. I remember when Van Halens "1984" lp was released We had so much Promo material all over the store and MTV played "Jump" the vide
DJ UNO
Running Up That Hill

Postby DJ UNO » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:47 am

Ha Ha!! Guess What!! I Reached "Green Star" status with this post!! Don't know what that get's Me but I would Like to thank the RIAA for causing Me to search for other sources and contacts and allowing Me to Discover this forum which will be My new HOME
DJ UNO
Running Up That Hill

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions