Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Favorite memories

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Favorite memories

Postby Dave » Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:12 am

Favorite memories:

- WLIR/WDRE on Long Island (when they changed from album-oriented rock)
- Trouser Press
- Seeing U2 live in 1982 (thanks for the free passes whoever you were)
- Seeing the London Calling video for the first time (some late nite video show pre-MTV.. what was that show???)
- Seeing XTC Generals and Majors video for the first time (same show... my first "new wave" fav)
- Clash concert at Pier 84 in NYC (didn't Curtis Blow blow? the mosh was insane)
- U2 concert at Pier 84 in NYC (opening act: the Alarm!)
- Ramones concerts... numerous places (never forget seeing t-shirt that read "Eat shit and die asswipe")

Biggest regret:
- not going to see the Clash at Bonds (parental veto)

Edited by - Dave on 10/05/2003 17:15:15

Edited by - Dave on 10/05/2003 17:16:13
Dave
The Jet Set

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:36 pm

Seeing all the local SoCal Oingo, Sparks, and X concerts several times each. Souvenirs from each respectively:

- a pant leg from a Russ Mael pseudo strip tease at Anaheim Conv Ctr
- a broken drumstick from Johnny Hernandez at Magic Mountain
- a kiss
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby tglopez » Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:25 pm

- Seeing the London Calling video for the first time (some late nite video show pre-MTV.. what was that show???)

Could it be the cable tv video show called "Popclips"? I remember seeing "The Pretenders" - Brass in Pocket, "The Police"
tglopez
Take On Me

Postby Dave » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:57 am

Could it be the cable tv video show called "Popclips"? I remember seeing "The Pretenders" - Brass in Pocket, "Th
Dave
The Jet Set

Postby Agamis » Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:35 am

By chance might the program have been Friday Night Videos? It started in the summer of 1983 on NBC and aired after midnight. Since I didn't have cable TV in the early eighties, this show was about my only source for seeing videos. For a six second clip
Agamis
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Bob-O » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:07 am

Fave memories:

Seeing DEVO on Fridays ca. 1980

Staying up Friday nights and listening to "Ready Steady Go" on KBEM 88.5 in Mpls (NOT the UK RSG, a locally-produced show) 10pm til 6am.

The early days of USA's Night Flight

The Great Northern Pic
Bob-O
Take On Me

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:43 am

Yes!!! USA's Night Flight!

Not positive (because my memory is a blur and I thought it aired before 1983), but I think that's the show. They played an amazing array of videos... more cutting edge than Friday Night Videos...

Thanks Ollie/Agamis!
Dave
The Jet Set

Postby datafreq » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:17 pm

Seeing New Order play live after waiting 12 years...
datafreq
Switchin' to Glide

Postby tglopez » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:13 pm

No particular order...

Secretly listening to "The Ramones", "Adam and the Ants", "The Clash" and "Devo" while my best friends listened to heavy metal.

Discovering a local record store that specialized in UK imports. Purchased 7" import copy of "This
tglopez
Take On Me

Postby Plata66 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:49 pm

120 Minutes on MTV actualy let me see some of the groups I've been listening to but never made it to the primetime rotation on mtv.Got to see alot of obscure and little known indie and up and coming artists."Night Flight" was pretty good for this too. I h
Plata66
Take On Me

Postby proufo » Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:24 am

Burt Thomas's radio show on WEVO-FM, Public Radio for New Hampshire, called "Alternating Currents".

The most amazing music coming from a very unlikely (the countryside, sticks, etc) place. No commercials other than station IDs, playing Simple Minds, Do
proufo
Take On Me

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:09 am

Seeing New Order play live after waiting 12 years...

I remember seeing New Order play at the Madison Square Garden Theater. When they finished their set, they left the stage and the house lights came on without any encores.
Dave
The Jet Set

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:27 am

Anybody remember the concert film URGH! A Music War? I think I still have a copy of it somewhere. It was a little disturbing Lux forgot to wear his belt though, wasn't it?

http://www.mindspring.com/~jes_james/urgh/
Dave
The Jet Set

Postby Bob-O » Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:38 am

I've got a pre-recorded copy of URGH! on VHS. Can anyone make DVDS? I'll supply the master.
Bob-O
Take On Me

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions