Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Original New Wave band

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Original New Wave band

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:48 am

It seems like most people point to the Ramones as the first real punk rock band (even the Sex Pistols and the Clash point to them as their inspiration).

Any thoughts on the band that defined and set the stage for New Wave? I imagine credit would proably go to bands like Blondie, Talking Heads and David Bowie.

They may not have been first out of the gate, but I think Split Enz defined New Wave for me. Forget skinny ties - their outfits and hair were outrageous. Unique sound too. But not more unique than Talking Heads. Hmmm... second thoughts.

Other suggestions?
Dave
The Jet Set

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:26 am

IMHO Joy Division was the first band that sounded truly "new wave". But you're right, the Finns' "I See Red" was right in there. Them plus the Nerves, Elvis Costello, Blondie and other power popsters all preceded Joy Division, but I still feel like the la
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby David » Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:25 am

I disagree about the Ramones. The first punk band imo was Iggy and the stooges. The Pistols even finished every gig with a cover of their song No Fun. The first true new wave album was Kraftwerk's Man Machine, right down to the slimline ties on the cover.
David
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:23 am

Stooges is not an invalid argument, but weren't they pretty marginal, disappearing altogether before the mid 70s? I don't know that that many people make any note of them or at the time stopped in their tracks to say, "hello, this is something new and gre
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Like_Music_88 » Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:59 pm

I think Split Enz were thinking eight years ahead of everybody else. I mean, have you taken a look at the videos they made between '75 to '77? Who would have bothered making a video like 'Bald As Brass' or 'My Mistake' in 1977?

In 1977 a lot of the
Like_Music_88
Take On Me

Postby hbtennis » Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:41 am

i dont think new wave was really defined or kicked-off with a single band. i think its only new wave when you look at it as a whole, and all the bands that contributed to it. i will have to look into this though.
hbtennis
Switchin' to Glide

Postby hbtennis » Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:43 am

EuromanCometh- you seem to know what you are talking about. and yes i have heard other people say they think the first punk band was iggy pop and the stooges. but i think, again, it wasnt just one band. the stooges where like the fathers of punk and the r
hbtennis
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Dave » Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:55 pm

Interesting. How about a vote for fun:

Original New Wave Band (reply and mark one)
Blondie:
Talking Heads:
Bowie, Ziggy et al:
Split Enz:
Joy Division:
Kraftwerk:
Batman Jones and his Wild Puruvian Asses:
(good luck Batman, you may need Robin
Dave
The Jet Set

Postby Bob-O » Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:04 am

I would consider Kraftwerk -> Ultravox -> Gary Numan for the synth side of New Wave.
Bob-O
Take On Me

Postby retroman » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:02 am

Great question Dave.
My response would be for New Wave pioneers, commercial success-wise: Blondie and Elvis Costello (both brilliant). Others: Kraftwerk. Since the original John Foxx sleep-inspirted Ultravox does not count because they sucked! Special Ku
retroman
Take On Me

Postby randy » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:56 am

Let's not forget The New York Dolls.
randy
Room at the Top

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:41 am

Thanks for all the feedback/suggestions.

It doesn't look like there's a clear winner (no surprise), but the following three seem to be mentioned most often (albums listed FYI):

Blondie (The First Album 1975)
Elvis Costello (My Aim is True - 1977)
Dave
The Jet Set

Postby fritzb » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:37 am

I would add The Cars first album (1978) to the list. The Cars were certainly not been first to play in a New Wave style, but they were certainly one of the first to get Top40 radio airplay. They brought Wave to the masses (at least in the US).
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby fritzb » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:47 am

When I was in college (1981-5), I used to make cassette compilations of New Wave material for parties. I regularly put old David Bowie songs like "Rebel Rebel" or "Suffragette City" in the mix. Stylistically they fit perfectly even though they were 5 to
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby unguarded moment » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:16 am

Pere Ubu often gets mention as an early New Wave band. I dunno.

<hr noshade color="#999999" size="1" width="90%">
"The melody's the thing!"
unguarded moment
Personal Jesus

Next

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions