Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

"Borderline" NewWave Songs on 80's Stations....

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

"Borderline" NewWave Songs on 80's Stations....

Postby Blaster » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:28 am

From Looking over Playlists & talking to people about the "new Music" station from their area back in the 80's, I notice that each station had its own "borderline new wave" songs/artists that were either included or omitted from their airplay at the time.
For example, here in NY/NJ, WLIR Never played Phil Collins, Huey Lewis or Hall & Oats, but Madonna's "Burning UP" was a favorite, & Cyndy Lauper & the Cars were heard.
Some People from other areas were surprised to hear that LIR didn't play Huey Lewis, & did play the others!
I Noticed on a KROQ Top list that one year Phil Collins "Psudio" made there Year's best (!?!), & Elton John was in there too.
I'm curious if anyone else remembers the "borderline" songs that either made it or didn't make it on your "cutting edge" Radio Station, & what they were.....
Blaster
Take On Me

Postby unguarded moment » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:17 am

I remember a ways back the local alternative/wave station (KJET) playing, on a regular basis, "Jack and Diane" by John Cougar MelonHead. Never could figure that out. I think they played The Hooters "All You Zombies" also, another borderline artist.

<
unguarded moment
Personal Jesus

Postby Frau_Blucher » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:06 pm

One of my early KROQ favorties was Jon and Vangelis' "Friends of Mr Cairo". Maybe not really in this borderline new wave class - what I take to mean as mainstream - but not new wave either. Novelty I guess? Did anyone else like this song but me?
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby leadfoot » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:19 pm

good topic!

a "borderline" artist my favorite New Wave station, KYYX in Seattle, used to play was early Prince, up thru his "Little Red Corvette" and "1999" tunes. i never thought Prince was New Wave, but played amongst the context of all those new wa
leadfoot
Take On Me

Postby swerve » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:10 am

Great topic!

Ignore the charts after 1987. The station became much more mainstream.

Click below:

http://spiritofradio.ca/Charts.asp
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby ElectricBlue » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:11 am

I still consider all Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers 'suspect' in the New Wave Catagory.....same with The Kinks (early 80's output) as well as J Giels Band....I also take umbrage with Mike Paulsen's wild crossover inclusion of Jimmy Page's 'Jam Sandwich'
ElectricBlue
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Maria » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:31 am

[quote]Originally posted by Blaster
[br]From Looking over Playlists & talking to people about the "new Music" station from their are
Maria
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Amosboy » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:35 am

Rest asured that the QUAKE KQAK FM 99 would never play crap such as a Huey Lewis or Tom Collins or what ever he is Hall and Oats or Cory Fart and the rest of those what evers.... I am sure that if The Oz or Jed the Fish if they woulf get a copy of those r
Amosboy
Switchin' to Glide

Postby wiota » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:13 pm

[quote]Originally posted by Blaster
[br]From Looking over Playlists & talking to people about the "new Music" station from their are
wiota
Take On Me

Postby unguarded moment » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:40 am

Quote From Ebbhead: ..."WLIR never played Cyndi Lauper or Madonna once they made the commitment to the new wave format back in 1983ish. The Cars were an important American new wave band -- even if they had a traditional rock following -- and rightfully go
unguarded moment
Personal Jesus

Postby randy » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:01 am

I think the Kinks "State of Confusion" album had a great 80's sound , particularly the title cut. Great tune which got lots of local airplay on the college stations in the area.
randy
Room at the Top

Postby Amosboy » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:51 am

Remember occasionally MV3 would play Van Helan's "Pretty Woman"

[8)],
jr
Amosboy
Switchin' to Glide

Postby finn2000 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:25 am

They played Madonna once or twice but BARELY ever on WLIR & Cyndi was played a bit , but not much either

They Played Pete Townsend & The Who alot when they were touring with The Clash, I clearly remember that!!!!
finn2000
Switchin' to Glide

Postby finn2000 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:29 am

Oh yes & i was an avid WLIRer but in 86 I lived in California & KROQ didnt play as much Ramnones & B52's as WLIR did & you barely heard Oingo Boingo In NY!!! :)
finn2000
Switchin' to Glide

Postby fabfourever » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:05 pm

That's funny because I don't even consider anything remotely New Wave at all by Phil Collins Peter Gabrielyes but not Phil Collins.And since when did Elton John ever do anything New Wave? Well at least I can say that I can remember hearing Kylie Minogue's
fabfourever
Switchin' to Glide

Next

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions