Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

punk vs. new wave???

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

punk vs. new wave???

Postby bpdp3 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:19 am

Some of you have been mentioning KROQ in your posts and that station took on kind of a 'legendary' status in my mind, though I was not from the west and have NEVER heard it...I'd only read about it and heard of Rodney on the ROQ, knew his compilation albums - - mostly early LA hardcore, Circle Jerks Posh Boy-label type stuff. I thought the station played that 24-7.

It sounds like my perception was wrong - - that they also played new wave, synth pop, etc etc.... What was it REALLY like???

Also, was there a Punk vs New Wave mentality? I'm reminded of a ridiculous episode of CHIPs where there was a group of quirky but 'good' new wave kids who were at odds with the trouble-causing 'punks' - - poor Eric Estrada had to sort the whole thing out for us kids at home.

I've always had Black Flag next to Blancmange and the dB's next to the Dead Kennedy's in my record collection - - how do the rest of you feel about the two genres. I think I was just so hungry for DIFFERENT music that I developed a love for it all.....
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby Jimbo » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:44 am

I remember that CHiPs episode!
Oh God, that was embarrassing.

I was there, sort of. I mean that I was listening to KROQ from late 1979 to 1993 pretty much nonstop.

Rodney on The Roq was on Sunday night (from what I remember) and that was when he pl
Jimbo
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:38 am

Yeah Jimbo, they played everything in those days. Very early days were pretty mainstream by today's definitions (Police, Cars, Prentenders, etc). Then around 1980, they really started mixing in the good punk and new wave. I remember noting that Boy George
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Jimbo » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:07 pm

I remember thinking sometime in late 1982 what's up with KROQ. It was about that time that their ratings really started to take off and I think they also got some "professional" management types in there that were seriously screwing with their play lists
Jimbo
Room at the Top

Postby Jimbo » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:25 pm

Here is a keeper.
This is what KROQ would do if you pissed them off.
Christine Lund was/(maybe still is) a local news reporter that somehow invoked their wrath. They then made a fake commercial for the "Christine Lund school of applied ineptitude". That
Jimbo
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:38 am

Wow Jimbo, phenomenal articles, especially the 2nd link with the multi-pager. Great reminiscences. Dude!!! Also points to what's wrong with radio today. How disillusioning is it to hear the once great Jed the Fish say this:

"When you have a $300 milli
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Momotaro » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback on KROQ and it's format; definitley different than I'd always thought. It must have been a real disappointment to have had good radio then have it taken away. Playing "My Sharona" was about as adventurous as our radio stations eve
Momotaro
Take On Me

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:08 pm

Oh, I almost forgot about bpdp's original question. New Wave, Punk, etc...they're all next to eachother in my collection and I seem to recall the same was true for my friends. We never made the distinction or battled over Punk vs some more sanitized - it
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Bob-O » Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:28 am

I got into punk from New Wave in about 1982 give or take. When I started buying the Punk Rock records alot of my New Wave friends seemed kind of scared off, although a few followed along with me in exploring new musics. When I was a spiky-headed, bondag
Bob-O
Take On Me

Postby EchoBeach » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:16 pm

About KROQ and the punk vs. new wave thing...

KROQ would play whatever was the mainstream music at the time... The Pretenders, The Police, Genesis, DEVO, whatever.

One of my favorite soundbites was "Press the button, my friend and send me back into
EchoBeach
Take On Me

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions