Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

What is new wave and what is not?

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

What is new wave and what is not?

Postby tborg1987 » Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:29 am

sense new wave is a vague genere of music i would like to know exactly what is new wave and what isnt

1. Prince
2. David Bowie
3. Billy Idol
4. Buggles
5. Van halen
6. Pink Floyd
7. The Clash
8. Fountains of Wayne
9. Bananarama
10. OMD
11. Cyndi Lauper(i know that is a doumb question but she doesn't seem like new wave at all even though she dressed the part)
12. B-52's
13. Jesus Jones
14. Moby
15. WHAM
tborg1987
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Bob-O » Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:32 am

I think it's one of those "If you have to ask you'll never understand" type questions.

There was no ONE STYLE that is considered New Wave. Bow Wow Wow sound nothing like A Flock Of Seagulls who sound nothing like The Red Rockers who sound nothinkg lik
Bob-O
Take On Me

Postby Momotaro » Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:12 am

Yes, this is a really loaded question; I think ollie explained it as well as you could - you just know, you know?? I will say that if you weren't around in the early 80's, it's probably harder to develop a sense of what new wave is/was.

I'm going out
Momotaro
Take On Me

Postby DualIP » Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:09 am

Are sure it would be "white underground" music because on vice city adam first(the dj of wave 103) said that here on wave 103 we only play the most underground records, and of course vice city is a satire of the 80's so was it really "underground" example
DualIP
Running Up That Hill

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:20 am

I never considered Madonna New Wave. Same for Lauper. Bananarama was definately in but I can't explain why - maybe their relationship with Fun Boy 3.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Momotaro » Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:45 am

I wouldn't call Madonna new wave either, but will acknowledge that if Bernard Sumner of New Order did the vocal on 'Into the Groove', it would suddenly become a 'new wave' song......it's a game of inches out there....
Momotaro
Take On Me

Postby David » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:08 am

Wham! new wave? Do me a favour. The Clash were punk, and Pink Floyd were a stadium rock band as far removed from new wave as is humanly possible!

<hr noshade color="#999999" size="1" width="90%">
"Through being cool"
David
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Bob-O » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:17 am

Madonna's first album was out for over a year before it got ANY mainstream airplay. The New Wave radio shows here in Mpls played "Burning Up" alot and it fit in next to Pete Shelly, Intaferon and X. I wouldn't call it a new wave record, but there was a
Bob-O
Take On Me

Postby 1981baby » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:54 am

i don't really get some of your explainations. isn't new wave bands who incorporated synths and keyboards into their music and boarded on eletronic like the buggles, book of love, stabilizers, picnic at the whitehouse, boys brigade, etc? I think we all ca
1981baby
Personal Jesus

Postby MikeP » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:07 am

Please see the AllMusic Guide's (www.allmusic.com) entry on "new wave" (under styles) if you haven't already. They do a good job of summarizing the movement and include good examples of key songs and artists. It's not strictly defined by synthesizers, alt
MikeP
President Am I

Postby DualIP » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:20 am

The only reason i listed those bands on there is because they are on this website(prince, wham, maddona etc) mixed in with the other new wave bands and you can't say new wave is people who played around with keyboards and synths because Lionel Richie Zapp
DualIP
Running Up That Hill

Postby 1981baby » Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:29 am

"Lionel Richie Zapp and the Pointer Sisters who all cam out in the early 80's did the same thing and i do not believe they are new wave"

of course i can't say anyone who used those instruments was new wave , that's not what i was trying to say, the imp
1981baby
Personal Jesus

Postby Spaz » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:41 pm

All I can say about this thread is that this period of music was as exciting as any other period (if not more so) and is hard to pigeonhole. Is punk part of new wave if new wave grew out of the punk scene? And if punk begat new wave and new wave begat s
Spaz
The Jet Set

Postby stormkpr » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:08 pm

The simplest answer, of course, is that new wave is whatever you want it to be.

Everyone defines it a little differently. I just think of it as a certain time, place, and mind set that is unique to me.

If it's new wave to you, feel free to call
stormkpr
Switchin' to Glide

Postby gregfj2 » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:10 pm

The last 'new wave' mix tape I made for myself included Eddie Money's "Endless Nights". I think I never heard it since 20 years ago when I saw the video. And I haven't seen it on any of his hits compilations, so it feels like an obscure goodie as are th
gregfj2
Running Up That Hill

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions