Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

80s Cliches & Stereotypes - Very 80s!!

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

80s Cliches & Stereotypes - Very 80s!!

Postby Like_Music_88 » Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:12 am

After reading through the 80s Hell thread and being tormented by 'We Built This City', I thought of somethings that would be artifacts of what was badly typical of the 80s. These are 80s stereotypes at their worst and sometimes best. These are the things that come first when you think of the 80s. This is the ultimate 80s cliche! The things that truly represent the 80s and show us what the 80s were really about. The things that capture the time.

Although people mention the Smiths, REM and Husker Du as being great artifacts of the 80s, I don't believe these bands really come forward as being truly 80s artifacts when compared to Huey Lewis & The News. Most of the alternative 80s was perhaps the roots of 90s music. Out of it's time and perhaps standing as an alternative to the list I am about to give you all.

Here is the 80s cliche list!

The Ghost Busters Soundtrack: Every song on this album is dated. Every song represents the 80s in its truest form. Have a listen to Mick Smiley's 'Magic' or 'Saving The Day' as well as the Thompson Twins' 'In The Name Of Love'. If these songs weren't taken seriously when recorded, they'd be a joke! Infact, this sountrack album is so 80s, it's almost lovable!

We Built This City by Starship: I know it has been discussed before and I know many of us have been disgusted by it, but let's face it, this really does capture a moment in 80s pop music. Just think, Starship were once the idealist hippies playing under the Jefferson Airplane banner in the 60s. Amazing to think how excess corrupted the talent of a once innovative rock band.

Trouble by Lindsey Buckingham: It is one of the most over looked 80s hits and yet it topped the charts in '82. It almost seems a shame that many 80s-crazy kids wouldn't even know this song... how could they know it when 'Girls Just Want To Have Fun' is shoved down their throats in every retro-club they attend. Good song by the way!

Punky Brewster Cartoon Theme: No, not the TV show theme, but the Cartoon theme! Amazing piece of music, probably sung by a hopeful who wore her heart on her sleave the day it was recorded. Incredible Cyndi Lauper immitator with her own little set of 'SheBop' yelps. It sounds like she was still in practice mode. The backing band have no shame either. Saturday mornings in the mid-80s, the memories. Find it here

http://www.toontracker.com/realaudio/ttra80.htm

Angel by Madonna: A b-side to 'Like A Virgin' and a hit in it's own right, 'Angel' sounds like the music they played in beauty and hair dresser salons in the mid-80s. Infact, I picture the video being set in a white studio similar to the 'Lucky Star' video with all these poodle-hair hair dressers teasing the hair of a bunch of Cyndi Lauper look-a-likes. This image hasn't been distorted, since a video for the song doesn't exist.

Never Ending Story by Llal (???): speaks for itself really, but I couldn't resist putting it in.

Goonies 'R' Good Enough by Cyndi Lauper: notice the same guy (I think it's the singer from the Hooters) always seems to do back up vocals on her hits, making them sound almost the same? He does another great job on this track which is synthesizer infested. I wonder if they auditioned the Punky Brewster singer before choosing Cyndi as a better choice.

Classic!

Do you have an example of a bad 80s cliche that isn't REM, Replacements or the Cure (love 'em or hate 'em, they're not cliches, they were saviours).
Like_Music_88
Take On Me

Postby Frau_Blucher » Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:45 pm

Ollie Stench mentioned the Nagle print for the Duran Duran cover in another thread. I can't think of what's more cliched than Nagel prints. People used to sell (and buy!) loads of them, especially at all those SoCal swap meets. Buy a few for your flat-roo
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Jimbo » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:01 pm

Those early 80's naked women Porsche posters with part of the car covering up the good parts of the model.
Jimbo
Room at the Top

Postby Plata66 » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:05 am

"totally" "Fer Sure" "awesome" BIG HAIR,Mohawks.
Plata66
Take On Me

Postby Bob-O » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:35 am

Members Only jackets!!!

I saw a guy waiting at a bus stop the other day who looked like a drug dealer from Miami Vice: about 43, slicked-back hair, moustache, gradiant-tint sunglasses and a black Members Only jacket. Straight out of 1985!
Bob-O
Take On Me

Postby Momotaro » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:10 pm

I always think of wine coolers in the 80's - - Bartles and James "Thank you for your support".

Madonna's songs in that Angel/Dress You Up (I'd include Regina's 'Baby Love' and Stacy Q 'Two of Hearts') era remind me of hair salons, shopping mall dressin
Momotaro
Take On Me

Postby Like_Music_88 » Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:16 pm

[quote]Originally posted by bpdp3
[br]I always think of wine coolers in the 80's - - Bartles and James "Thank you for your support".
Like_Music_88
Take On Me

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions