Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Opinion on "CARS"-Gary Neuman....

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Opinion on "CARS"-Gary Neuman....

Postby Blaster » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:35 am

This is something that has been bothering me for a while....
Back in '79 when "CARS" was new, it seemed to me, that "most" people familiar with the song ( at least that I interacted with at the time), "at that time" understood/knew that it was a homage or even "parody" (a-la "Wierd Al") of the sound of/to the "The Cars" (Rick Ocasek's cars!).
At that time there was virtually No other group being played on the radio the even remotely had the sound of The Cars.
.. Along comes Gary N's "Cars", (good song), with a sound that seemed to be exactly as if you put "Moving in Stereo & other Cars tracks thru a meat grinder, & he's singing "Cars", & it could have been a track on a Cars Album of the time!
Now, it seems no one "remembers" this anymore.
Like Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl" - When that album 1st came out lots of people thougt it was a 4 seasons re-make, & Billy even went on many talk shows saying how he wanted to make a "Frankie Valli & the 4 seasons" song when comming up with it .... ( I would really love to see Frankie Valli actually do "uptown Girl" on a PBS special.. .."She Makes up her mi- i= ind>.."!!)
.. Today, just as with "CARS", many people just recognize it as a "Billy Joel" song, & don't "see" (hear) or remember the similarity anymore....
Does AnyOne remember back in '79 "CARS" the way I described???
Blaster
Take On Me

Postby Bob-O » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:32 am

No one around here (Minneapolis) made that connection. I for one really dislike The Cars (Rick Ocasek's band) and am a huge Gary Numan fan. I never put the two together. It's like saying that every country song written about a woman cheating on her man
Bob-O
Take On Me

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:50 am

Based on some MP3's I've seen out there, apparently it *was* The Cars that recorded "Cars".
Dave
The Jet Set

Postby Plata66 » Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:56 am

I remember the references made as well at the time, but I remeber seeing Gary on Doug Kershners Rock Concert and new immediately that Gary was his own person. People used to think Billy Thorpe "Children of the Sun" was a type of contempory Christian Rock
Plata66
Take On Me

Postby Momotaro » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:47 pm

I was very familiar with both acts back then and NEVER even made the connection. I really believe Numan was just doing his own thing, and was not making any commentary on the Cars - - they both just happened to use synths, exist in the same timeframe and
Momotaro
Take On Me

Postby David » Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:20 am

Numan's "Cars" a tribute to The Cars? Hillarious! Numan himself when asked on the influence of arguably his most popular track says it was simply about his love for his car, and being able to lock himself inside it away from the cares of the world. He's e
David
Switchin' to Glide

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions