Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Yaz and Erasure

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Yaz and Erasure

Postby Dave » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:11 am

To me, the lead singers of Yaz and Erasure sound remarkably similar, if not dead ringers for one another, yet they’re different people - it’s writer/musician (Vince Clarke) who is the common denominator between the two bands. Even more interesting since one of the singers is a woman (Allison Moyet of Yaz) and the other is a man (Andy Bell of Erasure). If Clarke was so happy with that voice, why/how did he let Moyet get away? Or was she singing

Move out, don’t mess around
Move out, you bring me down
Move out, how you get about
Don’t make a sound just move out

to him?!? (i.e., she decided she was better off going solo) If it was her decision, then was Clarke blatantly searching for an identical replacement? If so, then why not continue to use the name Yazoo/Yaz (well, maybe the hyphen is a clue [;)])?

Am I the only one that thinks the voices sound the same? Anybody know the story? Me confused.

BTW Yaz’s “Upstairs at Eric’s” should be required listening for any fan of new wave, IMHO
Dave
The Jet Set

Postby Chorus » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:24 pm

They are indeed very similar. If you listen to Erasures first album Wonderland, the resemblence is even more startling. I beleive Andy answered an ad placed by Vince. He was probably looking for a similar voice to Alison...or maybe he told Andy to sing in
Chorus
Running Up That Hill

Postby Bob-O » Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:37 am

Yaz split on friendly terms. It was a shaky proposition to begin with as Moyet was a jazz/blues/R&B vocalist.

Yaz was well-known for the hybrid of cold stark electronics and warm souldful voices. I'm sure that the similarity between Andy Bell and Ali
Bob-O
Take On Me

Postby David » Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:12 am

Not so sure they split on friendly terms... I have a quote form Vince after the split giving the reason for Yazoo's split as "We just didn't get along, really". Bell and Moyet definately shared a similar sound, I think Bell sounds totally like Moyet on "V
David
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Tomb » Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:43 pm

[quote]Originally posted by Dave
[br]To me, the lead singers of Yaz and Erasure sound remarkably similar, if not dead ringers for on
Tomb
Take On Me

Postby Momotaro » Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:06 am

I've listened to both groups since they first hit and any similarities in their voices were lost on me, but now that you mention it...

The big difference to me was in their songs: Yazoo's songs semed darker musically (not necessarily lyrically) - the
Momotaro
Take On Me

Postby Biffo » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:24 am

This is my first post so be gentle with me please.
I suppose she sounds a bit like Andy when he is singing low but not when he is singing falsetto.
How about Ms Moyet guesting on an album with Erasure?
Biffo
Running Up That Hill

Postby Bob-O » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:24 pm

Prior to Yaz Alf was in a band called Little Rooster with a guy name Gary Lamin. They were influenced by 60's Motown R&B and old blues. Yaz' orignal name, Yazoo, was taken from an obscure US blues label called Yazoo Records.
Bob-O
Take On Me

Postby Polly » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:29 am

I think Vince had all of those earliest Erasure songs (Who Needs Love Like That, Oh Lamour)kicking around when Yazoo were still together & he, no doubt, planned to use them on a 3rd Yazoo collection. It's not so much that Alison & Andy sound alike, it's
Polly
Take On Me

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions