Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Laurie Anderson's "Alive From Off Center"

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Laurie Anderson's "Alive From Off Center"

Postby oneno » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:48 pm

Laurie Anderson's "Alive From Off Center" How many remember this?It was on PBS starting in 87'came on at about 10:00 CST."She created a digital clone of herself, a little man with a big head with whom she engaged in friendly banter. He would become the equivalent of one of her audio masks, another voice through which she could funnel ideas “so that it’s not always just me” Anderson explains. “The clone is the concept of a surrogate. At times I use it to say things I don’t have the guts to say”. Her video alter-ego joined other stands-ins for herself, such as her violin and voice altering vocoder, to which she later added a violin playing marionette and a digitally programmed parrot. They also said things that Anderson herself would not say."
How many remember this?What do you think?
oneno
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:37 pm

Pretty cool Henso. I wish I had caught any of it, but it's completely outside of my consciousness that something like that ever existed. I remember enjoying "Home of the Brave" at midnight shows at the Balboa theater in Newport CA (same place for particip
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Bob-O » Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:30 am

I *believe* that show was produced here in the Twin Cities. I've been in email contact with the composer of the theme song (Chel White) who was involved in a quirky electronic group called Process Blue.

I never had the chance to see much of the show a
Bob-O
Take On Me

Postby Momotaro » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:10 pm

That DOES sound pretty cool -- on PBS, no less. I definitly would've been interested in that back in 87 but I don't know if the PBS channel even existed on the college dorm tv.

I've had Big Science for years, when O Superman was the 'big thing', and th
Momotaro
Take On Me

Postby randy » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:55 am

Big Science was a classic , but Mr. Heartbreak, her follow up was a definate let down. Far too much influence of Peter Gabriel. Sharkeys Night was the only tune I cared for on it.
randy
Room at the Top

Postby kenibus » Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:06 pm

yes i remember the episode. great theme song by David byrne. have the ep on tape. watch it now and zen.
Very innovative.
really do miss the NW80s....
kenibus
Running Up That Hill

Postby Plata66 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:33 am

Plata66
Take On Me

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions