Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

NY Radio Format Idea & Thoughts..

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

NY Radio Format Idea & Thoughts..

Postby Blaster » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:26 am

Now That WLIR Is Gone.....

It May be wishful thinking, but I'd like to see a Radio Station Format of the following:
50-70% comprised of 80's "new Music/New Wave", Including all the Rare & obscure WLIR type tunes, not just the top 40 hits from Duran Duran, U2, Howard Jones & Depeche Mode.
The remaining 50-30% would be a mixture of these 3:
A - 70's & 80's Punk & Pop rock ( Dead Kennedys, Ramones, Nick Lowe, J Giles Band, Tubes ect..)
B - New Music Of Today by 80's Artists. ( Just as a classic rock station will skip over a new release by the B-52's or Depeche Mode in favor of a new Stones, Don Henley or Eric Clapton release, this would be the opposite.)
C - New Music/New Artists of Today that the Program Director feels fits in with all of the above .
Perhaps the new term should be "Classic" New Music"!!

The Problem I saw with the WLIR of the past couple of years is that they really had 2 or 3 very segmented audiences.
There were those of us that still would listen for old jems on the flashback lunch or the few & far between during other times, & they also had younger audiences, into the new "club" music, & a new into the "new" modern rock.
Let's face it, back in '83 LIR wasn't splitting their programming between New Wave & 60's music, There was WNEW, & Classic Rock Stations for that stuff.
"We" don't have our own format in the way that people in their 30's & 40's in 1983 did.
Blaster
Take On Me

Postby sirzap » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:20 am

Sounds Good,
If You have not already, why don't you post your suggestion on the LI Radio Board? http://www.radio-info.com/mods/posts.ph ... land&page=
sirzap
Take On Me

Postby Polly » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:13 am

I loved the new dance stuff they were playing, GG Dagastino, Daft Punk, Wolfshiem, APOP, Some of the other off beat stuff in recent years was GREAT fun too... that song w/Capt Kirk, Cake, Korean Bodega (whoever did that) The "Save It For Later" remake etc
Polly
Take On Me

Postby sirzap » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:23 am

Same here, I tuned out DRE (Hated Those Call Letters "der") from ~91 to ~96. That whole KROCK wannabe format was a real turnoff for me. Then Came 'Resurrection Sunday' Easter Day '96. That's when things started looking up again. Malibu Sue and Andre were
sirzap
Take On Me

Postby Polly » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:34 am

I listened to DRE until they fired all of the old jocks in 1995. I tuned in by accident sometime later in either 1997-98 & the old playlist was back.

Just wanted to edit this in, Sue's show was great today on the Flashback cafe. 5 hours a week is bette
Polly
Take On Me

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions