Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Any Platinum Blonde fans?

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Any Platinum Blonde fans?

Postby expo86 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:03 pm

[:D]They are from Toronto, Ontario, and they had three albums. They last one "CONTACT" had no energy - it sucked. "Standing In The Dark" and "Alien Shores" were favorites of mine. "Alien Shores" to me was the best with songs like 'Crying Over You', and 'Somebody, Somewhere'. They have their own website with lyrics. It is www.musicbymailcanada.com/PlatinumBlonde/pblyrics.html

If you come across a used copy of "CONTACT" don't buy it. It wasn't Platinum Blonde as I once knew them from their last two albums. They do have a greatest hits CD called "Seven Year Itch 1982-1989". The songs are remastered. If you see it, pick it up!!!
expo86
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Glen » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:27 pm

Excellent band, and I completely agree with you. "Standing in the Dark" and "Alien Shores" were great, but they attempted a very poor commercial-sounding effort on "Contact." It took me two years of searching to get all their tracks on CD.
Glen
Personal Jesus

Postby Momotaro » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:01 pm

I JUST had Alien Shores out the other day, listening to 'Situation Critical'. What are the chances....

Anyway, I agree too. I mean, it's fairly standard mid-80's rock fare, but I think what allows me to appreciate it now is the fact that it never rea
Momotaro
Take On Me

Postby swerve » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:37 pm

Borderline as being considered New Wave. Had some really good songs.

Many Canadian bands in the 80's didn't enjoy the same success in the U.S.

The Spoons, Blue Peter, Rational Youth, Strange Advance, Images In Vogue, among many others come to mind.
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby marker 3 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:58 pm

I've always had a thing for Gowan ever since seeing the video for "A Criminal Mind" on MTV. Now he's a member of Styx [xx(]
Strange Advance were a great straight-ahead new wave band. I heard them on the CBC and later bought a cassette of theirs for $1.
marker 3
Switchin' to Glide

Postby swerve » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:01 pm

Lee Aaron, heavy metal queen of Canada.
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby tglopez » Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:06 am

Grapes of Wrath, late 80's Vancouver college rock band.
tglopez
Take On Me

Postby frodis » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:39 am

Yes, pretty cool band, have all three of their CDs, the first one being very expensive to attain on CD. I really like the single Connect Me on their later 3rd album.
frodis
Switchin' to Glide

Postby expo86 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:32 pm

I saw Lee Aaron in concert on July 1, 1992, at the Great Canadian Party in St. John's, Newfoundland. Kim Mitchell and Haywire were there too. She did a strip-tease to the crowd with the song "Sweet Talk". She's excellent in concert. She lives here in V
expo86
Switchin' to Glide

Postby harleytexas » Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:37 am

Platinum Blonde changed their name to the Blondes for their last album....it sucks. Also Kenny Mclean who joined on their thrid album was in a good band called the Deserters and then did a few solo albums in the 90's. I got the first two Platinum Blonde c
harleytexas
Personal Jesus

Postby randy » Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:38 am

One Canadian band I have always been fond of was The Payolas. I would love to see "NO Stranger To Danger" and "Hammer On A Drum" reissued. The greatest hits CD's leave out most of their best tunes.
randy
Room at the Top

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions