Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Were there any Japanese New Wave?

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby Ape Module » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:32 pm

The Plastics and YMO are great. I liked Frank Chickens too. Used to have an LP by them, but my memories of it are fading.

Elsewhere I mentioned Polysics who are a great current Japanese band heavy on the NW (Devo in particular) influence. Also cool are Spoozys. Similar to Polysics but poppier, less frenetic. Maybe a bit more synth-heavy too.

I am a big fan of early Boredoms stuff and there are two similar bands that mined a little closer to NW territory: Space Streakings and UFO Or Die.

Someone way back on this thread mentioned Buffalo Daughter. I've always wanted to check them out. What do they sound like?

Oh yeah-- NW fans should give 00I00 a listen. It's one of the members of Boredoms and it's quite synthy and cool.
Ape Module
Personal Jesus

Postby oneno » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:09 am

For cool weird japanese new wave esque try the Doopies. They were the brainchild of Japanese eccentic experimentalist Yann Tomita, who used to be in the group Melon.
They record all over the place, full of wild samples and chipmunk like female vocals. It might be a bit much for the pop purists on the list, but for those with adventurous taste, it's well worth checking out. The title track is comprised of samples from the theme's of "I Love Lucy" and "I Dream Of Jeannie." "Love Songs Is A Very Razor Bladed Thing" splices countless snippets of love songs, before settling into a monologue about love songs over a loop of the drums from the Yardbirds "For Your Love." Fun, wild stuff.

chuck
oneno
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:17 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by oneno[/i]
<br>For cool weird japanese new wave esque try the Doopies. They were the brainchild of Japanese eccentic experimentalist Yann Tomita, who used to be in the group Melon.
They record all over the place, full of wild samples and chipmunk like female vocals. It might be a bit much for the pop purists on the list, but for those with adventurous taste, it's well worth checking out. The title track is comprised of samples from the theme's of "I Love Lucy" and "I Dream Of Jeannie." "Love Songs Is A Very Razor Bladed Thing" splices countless snippets of love songs, before settling into a monologue about love songs over a loop of the drums from the Yardbirds "For Your Love." Fun, wild stuff.

chuck
[/quote]

Melon is a descendant of The Plastics de shoo ka?
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby oneno » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:27 am

yes toshi & chica

chuck
oneno
Room at the Top

Postby firefall » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:44 am

Vodka Collins,half american-half japanese band,try''Tokyo-New York'' album.
firefall
Personal Jesus

Previous

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions