Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Were there any Japanese New Wave?

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby Alvy » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:46 pm

I am sure there were, but they escape me right now....But what were some of the Japanese New Wave acts? I would like to track some down.

I am a fan of Shibuya-Kei (Jpop) music and would like to see some of the corrilations between the two genres. Maybe how some acts in the 80s influence the Shibuya-Kei acts in the 90's.
Alvy
Switchin' to Glide

Postby schwenko » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:07 pm

Well...for your consideration...

YMO
The Plastics
IppuDo
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby Alvy » Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:26 am

Thanks.. I vaguely remember the Plastics, but the other two are new to me. I will have to dig some up to have a listen.
Alvy
Switchin' to Glide

Postby stillcool » Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:30 am

'YMO' or 'Yellow Magic Orchestra' were huge in Japan. It is said that they were the first western sounding Japanese band and were often compared to the mighty 'Kraftwerk' in their music style. The main keyboard player was a man by the name of 'Ryuichi Sakamoto' who some may recall worked with 'David Sylvian' on the soundtrack to the film 'Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence' plus many other projects since. 'YMO' released over a dozens albums between 1978 and 1985 and another when they reformed briefly in 1993. The best album is 'Characters : The Best Of ...' and 'Naughty Boys'.

'The Plastics' were a Tokyo based mixed gender Quintet formed in 1979 and split in 1985 and sounded not unlike 'Devo' so i've read. 1 album was pressed in America and England in the form of a best of but more were available in Japan it seems.

That's all I have on Japan new wave at the moment. If you want any other information then ask or email me.
stillcool
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Jay242 » Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:15 am

Yellow Magic Orchestra was a great band. If you like New Wave, they're an essentail addition. In many ways they were way ahead of their time.
Jay242
Take On Me

Postby Alvy » Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:06 pm

I have seen Ryuichi Sakamoto turn up in a few compilation ablums ranging from Jazz to Brazillian.
I should definately check out that YMO...

I shall head over to my used cd shop and seen if they have anything... they have a huge vinyl dedicated basement.
Alvy
Switchin' to Glide

Postby newwavepopman » Mon May 05, 2003 4:09 am

oh god yes.There were Yellow Magic Orechestra the most well known of them all of the New Wave out of Japan.Also Riuchi Sakamoto was pretty popular as well.And don't forget The Plastics who were a Japanese version of The B- 52's.Then there was "Sheena And The Rockkets"
newwavepopman
The Jet Set

Postby chubbyluv » Tue May 06, 2003 12:14 pm

Even though they weren't Japanese, the band Japan was awesome!
chubbyluv
Switchin' to Glide

Postby newwavepopman » Wed May 07, 2003 5:24 pm

Yes,but were Half Japanese, Japanese at all? I know that The Vapors weren't.Only kidding.It was supposed to be a bad joke,and it really was.
newwavepopman
The Jet Set

Postby oneno » Thu May 08, 2003 6:50 am

The Plastics recorded at the same studio (Island) in the Bahamas as the B52's ,in fact I have a few promo pictures of them together.They did a cool remake of the Monkees the "last train to Clarksville" They had 3 releases altogether.Ryuichi Sakamoto ,Haruomi Hosono and Yukihiro Takahashi were the Original YMO Bill Nelson ,David Sylvian were both frequent guests on numerous of there releases as solo act independantly as well as on main group releases.Ryuichi "Left Handed Dream had Robin Scott,Brigit Nowack of "M" fame and Adrian Belew.Masami Tsuchiya was the Guitarist for Ippu du and had alot of Japan members gueat apear on his "Rice Music" album Excellent!!While Ryuichi did have Thomas Dolby and Bootsy Collins appear on "Musical Encyclopoedia" His main focus lately has been soundtrack which he has won alot of critical acclaim for. Haruomi is more into atmospheric but melodic instrumentation but is really Diverse.Bill Nelson actually Married Yukihiro Takahashi's ex wife and has worked with the Sadistic Huma Band.All three have appeared with Sylvian one way or another over the years Starting with Japans "Tin Drum"The Pizzicato 5 and Towa Tei are a couple more recently that's picked up where the others left off,however Pizzicato 5 are now broke up.and Towa was originaly with Dee-lite a kind of new wave of the early ninetees.

Consider the dafodil, and while you're doing that. I'll be over her going through your stuff.
Jack Handy
oneno
Room at the Top

Postby chubbyluv » Fri May 09, 2003 9:32 am

Even though they weren't Japanese, the band Japan was awesome! It doesn't matter if they were 0, 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 Japanese. They were still a great band!!!!

Edited by - chubbyluv on 05/10/2003 17:02:14
chubbyluv
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Frayo » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:55 am

I spoke with some Japanese people who were around during the 80s.. they said that a bunch of their music in the 80s was like Americas in the 80s.

Only they dont really have popular music like we do... They dont have pop charts, which makes finding music kinda difficult.

Oh yeah.. Japan is a freaking AWESOME band.
Visions of China is one killer song :)
Frayo
Room at the Top

Postby Justj0hn » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:48 pm

The Frank Chickens..."We Are Ninja(Not Geisha)", "Yellow Toast", "Mothra", "Do The Karaoke", etc...

http://www.trouserpress.com/entry.php?a=frank_chickens

j0hn.......
Justj0hn
Personal Jesus

Postby Marcel » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:01 pm

Does anyone know the Japanese 80s-synthpop band "HIKASHU"?
I like it a lot. They've been and still are quite popular.
They made a cover version of KRAFTWERK's "das Model".
Marcel
Running Up That Hill

Postby LadyLazarus » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:57 am

Gary Numan certainly borrowed a lot from the Japanese whilst recording his Telekon album.
LadyLazarus
Take On Me

Next

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions