Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Were there any Japanese New Wave?

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby Sean » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:26 am

Yellow Magic Orchestra (YMO) was the coolest Japanese synth band of all times. Extremely underrated for what they composed and the time at which they composed the songs. They were really ahead of their time. Their best songs included Rydeen, Technopolis, Multiplies, Behind The Mask, Ballet, and Solid State Survivor. From YMO came a bunch of Japanese bands that were heavily influenced by their sound.

There was another band from Japan that doesn't get mentioned a lot which sounds at times like Depeche Mode or Camouflage. I'm not kidding with the comparison. The band's name is SOFT BALLET. I think the reason they never got any attention was they sung all their songs in Japanese. If they would have tried to do an English album, I'm sure that would have caught people's ears.
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby romanticide » Thu May 13, 2004 11:57 am

Blue Trains are one of my favorites. Particularly cool because the lyrics are all in Japanese.
romanticide
Take On Me

Postby pilon » Fri May 21, 2004 12:02 pm

[:)][:)][:)]

One of my favorite 77 japanese band from 1977 is a one of the first japanese Punk band called Anarchy they realeased 3 or 5 Lp's in the first or the second Lp' The band covered covered in japanese the clash the name of the track is " tokio burning " and " suspect device " by stiff little fingers

On stage the band almost played dressed totally in mao chinese uniforms , thats really shocked some japanese nationalists people after a show on a national japanes television chanel

After their tird album like their first influences the english Clash
this band made more reaggae ska tracks but its good too

Another great band that's im discovered one track on a powerpearl compilation is Badge this is the first japanese Mod's power pop band the bands have existed from 82 to 85 and have realesed all this records who are actively researched by collectors worlwide

EP Futari no photograph
EP Wink wa otenomono
EP Get off the A train
EP Oh! Carol
12" London paradise
12" 99 Club
12" One boy
LP Touch Continental

bye

pilon
pilon
Take On Me

Postby golfer » Wed May 26, 2004 6:42 pm

Don't forget Sandii & The Sunsetz.with an excellent album "Immigrants". I saw them in the Domain in Sydney, I guess it was about 1980, very good musos and Sandii was a hunny [;)]
golfer
Personal Jesus

Postby oneno » Wed May 26, 2004 11:07 pm

Can't forget about Masami Tsuchiya from "Ippu Du" and Had an album called Rice Music (82'). Includes a Sakamoto performed track, Kafka. also Matsutake, Toshio Nakanishi, Bill Nelson, Percy Jones, Jansen and Karn. Very impressive very hyper. The drums have a Japan sound to them (as to be expected). He seems to be wearing a stewardess outfit on the cover.Very good blend of Arto Lindsy esque squelchy guitars and Japan.
oneno
Room at the Top

Postby golfer » Thu May 27, 2004 5:35 pm

Hensoneno... wow..percy jones!!!!!!!!!! just the best fretless bass player ever.......a memebr of Brand X and of course was Eno's Another Green World which probably rates 11 out 10. [;)]
golfer
Personal Jesus

Postby christsmasher » Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:17 am

I've got a friend visiting Japan right now and he's under orders to bring me back all the Plastics vinyl he can carry, lol.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that "I Love You, Ono" by Stereo Total is a cover of a Plastics song.

???

Also check out Polysics, three piece Japanese group OBSESSED with Devo.
christsmasher
Take On Me

Postby phillyidol » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:34 am

I don't even know if she is Japanese but did anyone ever hear of RITA METSUKA? I'm sure it is spelled wrong. She did a great song they played at all the clubs and on wlir. It was called Marcia Bella. Great song.
phillyidol
Room at the Top

Postby fritzb » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:40 am

Les Rita Mitsouko was a French group, who had a few hits in Europe, including "La Jalousie" and "Marcia Baila". I have "Marcia Baila" on an import compilation - not a bad song at all.
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby phillyidol » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:53 am

[quote]Originally posted by fritzb
[br]Les Rita Mitsouko was a French group, who had a few hits in Europe, including "La Jalousie" and "Marcia Baila". I have "Marcia Baila" on an import compilation - not a bad song at all.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info fritzb!All this time I thought it was a Jap chick. I have the song too. They played it alot in clubs in the 80's. At least now I can spell it right.
phillyidol
Room at the Top

Postby owenstrawn » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:00 pm

Logic System: (Hideki Matsutake & Ryo Kawakami)

I got my hands on an original japanese release of Logic System's "Logic" LP in 1983 or so, and I've been looking for my own copy ever since. The easiest song to find on the file sharing networks is "Domino Dance". It could be described as "technopop" or "electronica" - I have never listend to YMO, but I am told it is similar. The rhythms are very irregular and hard to follow but compelling.

They had a second album "Venus" which is said to be "80s LA Synth" sounding, and a third "Orient Express". A "History Of Logic System" CD is also available but all of the releases seem to be very HTF.
owenstrawn
Running Up That Hill

Postby oneno » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:35 am

I have both logic systems, they were way ahead of the game.
oneno
Room at the Top

Postby firefall » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:50 pm

Also there were,the following;Sadistic Mika Band-pre punk art rock closer in style to YMO,The Girls-sunshine power pop,in their only album in 1978 and Rouge -glam punk similar to New York Dolls and Thunders!cheers.
firefall
Personal Jesus

Postby yipyipcoyote » Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:44 am

Chakra
Yapoos
Shi-Shonen
Urban Dance
P-Model
Hikashu
Portable Rock
Moonriders

In fact take a look at this site :

http://welcome.to/synths
yipyipcoyote
The Jet Set

Postby knowitallrecs » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:55 am

The Philippines had a wonderful New Wave scene in the late '80s with bands like the Dawn, Deans December, the Identity Crisis, the Introvoys, Half-Life Half-Death, among numerous others. Many of them had English songs as well. Check out the Pin-Up Girls from the Philippines:

http://www.myspace.com/thepinupgirls
knowitallrecs
Personal Jesus

PreviousNext

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions