Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Were there any Japanese New Wave?

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby clashx » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:28 am

I CANT BELIEVE I HAVN'T SEEN TWO BANDS MENTIONED ON THIS TOPIC. ALTHOUGH MORE ON THE MOD/POPPUNK SIDE : THE MODS- RELEASED SEVERAL LP'S BEGINNING IN 1980 AND ARE ARE STILL AROUND TODAY!! AND THE BADGE-- RELEASED SEVERAL SINGLES AND A "CLASSIC "LP IN THE EARLY TO MID 80'S
clashx
Running Up That Hill

Postby Frayo » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:14 pm

Im soooo glad you mentioned Logic System.

YMO rocks my face off...

Thats right. I no longer have a face.
Frayo
Room at the Top

Postby oneno » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:32 am

Wow Frayo, now you and Michael Jackson have something in common.[:D]
oneno
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:52 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by hensoneno[/i]
<br>Wow Frayo, now you and Michael Jackson have something in common.[:D]
[/quote]

Michael Jackson was into YMO, n'est-ce pas?
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby oneno » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:27 am

No he wasn't in YMO, but he did a cover by them................"behind the mask"! go figure!
oneno
Room at the Top

Postby Frank_Chickens » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:57 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Justj0hn[/i]
<br>The Frank Chickens..."We Are Ninja(Not Geisha)", "Yellow Toast", "Mothra", "Do The Karaoke", etc...

http://www.trouserpress.com/entry.php?a=frank_chickens

j0hn.......
[/quote]

You sir, have good taste. [;)]

Also recommend S.S.T. Band, Yoko Kanno and Buffalo Daughter, all are excellent. [8D]
Frank_Chickens
Room at the Top

Postby General Boy » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:23 am

I've got both of the Plastics' proper studio albums on CD.

Their third record, "Welcome Back Plastics," consisted of remakes of their songs, aimed more at the American market. I don't have much interest in that one, to be honest. They also put out a live album.

"Top Secret Man" is one of my favorite songs ever, by anyone. Did anybody see the episode of SCTV where they showed the video to this song?
General Boy
Take On Me

Postby schwenko » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:00 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by General Boy[/i]
<br>I've got both of the Plastics' proper studio albums on CD.

Their third record, "Welcome Back Plastics," consisted of remakes of their songs, aimed more at the American market. I don't have much interest in that one, to be honest. They also put out a live album.

"Top Secret Man" is one of my favorite songs ever, by anyone. Did anybody see the episode of SCTV where they showed the video to this song?

[/quote]

I bought "Hard Copy" which is a cd/dvd of live Plastics (also included is a book), "Welcome Oregato" a 2 cd comp (with unreleased tracks?), and PlasticSexEducation, which I believe is a new recording of them, while I was in Sapporo. I am now in Narita airport, so I haven't had a chance to check these items out yet[xx(].
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby JohnPaulGeorgeRingo » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:44 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by knowitallrecs[/i]
<br>The Philippines had a wonderful New Wave scene in the late '80s with bands like the Dawn, Deans December, the Identity Crisis, the Introvoys, Half-Life Half-Death, among numerous others. Many of them had English songs as well. Check out the Pin-Up Girls from the Philippines:

http://www.myspace.com/thepinupgirls
[/quote]

i agree

Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars.
JohnPaulGeorgeRingo
Take On Me

Postby st arry » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:55 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Frayo[/i]
<br>I spoke with some Japanese people who were around during the 80s.. they said that a bunch of their music in the 80s was like Americas in the 80s.

Only they dont really have popular music like we do... They dont have pop charts, which makes finding music kinda difficult.

Oh yeah.. Japan is a freaking AWESOME band.
Visions of China is one killer song :)
[/quote]

Japanese pop has a smooth polished sound often influenced by America. They have popular music just like us, pop charts just like us and loads of great melodies. The best period late 60s to early 80s, but even now they do the odd great song. Some may be New Wave, some may be US pop style, some disco, some beat, some ballad....but in the end New Wave was full of variety anyway (just look at British music). All that really matters is they have done great melodies. The Yellow Magic Orchestra and the few others mentioned here barely scrape the surface.
st arry
Switchin' to Glide

Postby mare_idol » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:53 am

I LOVE Yellow Magic Orchestra and Sakamoto.

Around 1981/1982 I remember seeing a Japanese band called Earthling at the old Peppermint Lounge. They were really good ...

They asked my friend and I to be in their video. We had to stand outside of the Peppermint Lounge and cheer for them as they walked in.

I wish I could remember who they warmed up for ...
mare_idol
The Jet Set

Postby schwenko » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:29 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by mare_idol[/i]
<br>I LOVE Yellow Magic Orchestra and Sakamoto.

Around 1981/1982 I remember seeing a Japanese band called Earthling at the old Peppermint Lounge. They were really good ...

They asked my friend and I to be in their video. We had to stand outside of the Peppermint Lounge and cheer for them as they walked in.

I wish I could remember who they warmed up for ...

[/quote]

I don't have an answer, but here is a link to some pics of Nina Hagen in 1982 at the PL

http://www.geocities.com/~tiere/peppermint.htm
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby mare_idol » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:52 am

Thanks, she looks great!

Did you ever see her?

She's one that unfortunately slipped by me ... one of these days, she's still touring.
mare_idol
The Jet Set

Postby spicytaco » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:29 pm

the japanese pop artist Tommy February VERY much sounds like old madonna stuff. it's pretty awesome! i'm a big fan and i have some videos to share whenever i am able to get on the new wave hub.
spicytaco
Running Up That Hill

Postby schwenko » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:58 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by spicytaco[/i]
<br>the japanese pop artist Tommy February VERY much sounds like old madonna stuff. it's pretty awesome! i'm a big fan and i have some videos to share whenever i am able to get on the new wave hub.
[/quote]

Agreed! I believe it's Tommy February 6.
They seem to have changed to Tommy Heavenly 6 now.
schwenko
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions