Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Bands that I thought arent New Wave but are

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Bands that I thought arent New Wave but are

Postby empyrean » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:23 pm

I want confirmation if the following bads are new wave or not because for me they are not new wave.

1. Duran Duran
2. Spandau Ballet
3. Devo
4. Industry
5. The Police

Sure they are British but i think they are more of a Brit pop than New wave.

time in limited supply,under threat of extinction,that indefinable nothing, somehow motivates you, finding the right words, can be a problem,
empyrean
Room at the Top

Postby glokstadt » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:56 pm

DEVO is from Akron, Ohio, USA! [:D] (NOT British! [:0] [B)])
glokstadt
Room at the Top

Postby glokstadt » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:58 pm

Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet started out as New Romantic
glokstadt
Room at the Top

Postby guyinsf » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:37 pm

The term Brit pop didn't even exist when these bands started their careers in the late 70's and brit pop was never really a legit category, it was more of a general description of young british bands that came out of the early 90's like Blur and Oasis, the press coined these bands as Brit pop in order to give them some leverage against the growing popularity of American grunge which happened at the same time. If you ask me, grunge and brit pop all had their origins in the original new wave/punk movement. I'd say all those bands listed are pretty much new wave, except Industry cuz I'm not familiar with them. Also, New Romantics was simply a sub-category of NW and another fancy term the media came up with, also AKA PEACOCK PUNKS.
guyinsf
Personal Jesus

Postby TragicMagic » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:29 pm

Hmm am interested in peoples opinions: what exactly is the difference between New Romantic and New Wave.

I have always considered there to be only a very fine line. (or maybe only some different fashion sense) [;)]

TM
TragicMagic
Room at the Top

Postby Rubbeet921 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:38 pm

[quote]Originally posted by paul simpson
[br]I want confirmation if the following bads are new wave or not because for me they are not new wave.

1. Duran Duran
2. Spandau Ballet
3. Devo
4. Industry
5. The Police

Sure they are British but i think they are more of a Brit pop than New wave.

time in limited supply,under threat of extinction,that indefinable nothing, somehow motivates you, finding the right words, can be a problem,
[/quote]

WTF!??? [}:)]

'Tol, baka naman pwedeng palitan mo yang username mo pls.?- just out of respect para sa tunay na Paul Simpson. Binaboy na nga ng OnL yung "Chandeliers" ng Care, pati ba naman pangalan ng idol natin kokopyahin mo pa?[B)][;)]
Rubbeet921
Room at the Top

Postby Max Murdoc » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:26 pm

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
No

The music you listen to is the soundtrack of your life.
Max Murdoc
The Jet Set

Postby Mechi » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:35 am

Come on!!! I can't think of anything more new wave than The Police... practically, the term was invented for them.
Devo... post-punk??? New Wave??? When I think of Post Punk, I think in Joy Division or The Fall... and Devo is pretty different from that.
Duran Duran? New Romantic... one of the subgenres of NW, same for Spandeau Ballet.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/mechigc
Mechi
Room at the Top

Postby SwampThing » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:11 am

All those bands except maybe Industry were played on my local "New Wave/Modern Rock" stations in the early 80's.

Paul, maybe you could tell us what attributes a band must have to be considered New Wave? For me there is plenty of cross-over in this genre.

Paul Simpson?

Are there an NWO members in the Phillipnes that don't like "Care", "Wild Swans" and "Lotus Eaters"? Just a question, please take no offense. There seems to be a "small" obsession with these bands.
<font size="1"></font>
SwampThing
Room at the Top

Postby highway1pch » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:34 am

If you're not going to accept Duran Duran as New Wave, then how about Adam & The Ants, Ultravox, or Visage?

The Police? Bust out Outlandos D'Amour and then you can't deny these guys are New Wave (much like Sandanista!-era Clash).

<a href="http://www.ocnewwave.blogspot.com/"><font color="#ff6600"><font size=+1.5>OC New Wave Blog</font></a>
<font color="#00ff00"><font="westminster">Music videos, Orange County concerts, and more.</font>
highway1pch
Personal Jesus

Postby unguarded moment » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:47 am

I used to think Tommy Tutone was New Wave but not anymore.
The Divinyls - not sure.
unguarded moment
Personal Jesus

Postby jumpshift » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:02 am

When I was young and didn't understand I used to think the following were new wave artists/bands.

Ready For The World
Rockwell
Sly Fox ?
Nu Shooz ?
Johnny Hates Jazz
Boy Meets Girl
Breathe
Cutting Crew

Now don't get me wrong. I do like the songs these ones made. But as I grew older I realized they're just not new wave. "Well maybe Sly Fox and Nu Shooz a tiny bit on the new wavish side."
jumpshift
The Jet Set

Postby SwampThing » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:30 am

[quote]Ready For The World
Rockwell
Sly Fox ?
Nu Shooz ?
Johnny Hates Jazz
Boy Meets Girl
Breathe
Cutting Crew[/quote] Of these I only remember Rockwell "Somebody's Watching Me" and Cutting Crew "I Just Died.." being played on New Wave/Modern Rock. I never really considered them NW, but those two songs in particular must have been requested to warrent airplay...

<font size="1"></font>
SwampThing
Room at the Top

Postby Bitter Almonds » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:39 am

<p align="justify">The bands listed in the o.p. are New Wave. At least, back in the 80s that's what I remember everyone referring them as. The ones I never heard being called New Wave were the Pop stuff:

[i]Culture Club[/i]
[i]Wham![/i]
[i]Cyndi Lauper[/i]
Bitter Almonds
Room at the Top

Postby empyrean » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:30 am

Ooh sorry. I think we have a different culture of new wave here in the Philippines. Thats why i joined this forum to learn what new wave is in other countries. I based my selections on our local new wave stations (which are defunct right now ) 102 WXB and 105DZBM. They dont play the bands ive mentioned. Plus those bands were included in some compilation cd's along with other pop acts in our country like KC and the Sunshine Band.

My perception of new wave is "deeper" than those bands. (no offense meant to their respective fans, i like them too). What im looking for a new wave is kind of Wild Swans stuff, or The Chameleons or maybe The Jesus and Mary Chain, or even A Drop In The Gray. But i understand now that new wave has a lot of sub genres. I just dont know where to categorize them.

Industry sang State Of The Nation. My username Paul Simpson is of course after my best new wave vocalist and best band for that matter
The Wild Swans. This is just my personal opinion. You cant go wrong with them with songs like A World of Milk and Blood, No Bleeding and God Forbid.

Thanks a lot for the infos. I learned a lot. Its a pity only a few are real New Wave here in the Philippines.

empyrean
Room at the Top

Next

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions