Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Bands that I thought arent New Wave but are

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Re: Bands that I thought arent New Wave but are

Postby telekon3 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:19 pm

"New Wave" is really just a term that was invented to categorize newer artists that came along in a time period different to the standard sub-genres of rock and pop that had already dominated the music business. (Similar to terms Alternative or Indie of the last couple decades) Also during the New Wave era, genre terms would evolve into different terms for the same musical style. i.e. Euro-disco to Techno-pop to Synth-pop.

"A New Wave of Rock & Roll Music"

Genre: New Wave

Sub-Genres:

New Romantic
Techno-Pop
Post-Punk
Synth-Pop
Guitar-Pop
Futurist
British-Pop
Early Punk
Minimal Synth
Italo-Disco
Jangle-pop
Euro-Disco
Power-Pop
Paisley Underground
2nd Wave Ska
Coldwave
Goth
Early Industrial
EBM
80's Mod
Alternative
80's Rockabilly
Sophisti-Pop
telekon3
Personal Jesus

Re: Re:

Postby Berserker » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:12 am

Funeral Pyre wrote:
djcraig wrote:Artists that are not New Wave:

Corey Hart- tried to be New Wave but failed. Nice shades though.

It seems that history has been rewritten to lump in Corey Hart with New Wave. GTA: Vice City is a good example of this. Did any New Wave/Alternative radio stations even play Corey Hart back in the 80's?

Corey Hart wasn't a New Wave artist, but "Sunglasses At Night" was a New Wave song. There were lots of bands that dipped into New Wave for a song or album, and others that started as New Wave and became something else.
Berserker
The Jet Set

Postby MissingPersons » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:12 am

I think Corey Hart was more "Hi-Tech AOR" than New Wave. Like Mr. Mister and John Parr.

By the way I have seen Munchener Freiheit being branded as New Wave, but it doesn't seem right to me. I think they belong more to the Hi-Tech AOR genre as well.
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Re:

Postby elektrikblu » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:58 am

TragicMagic wrote:Hmm am interested in peoples opinions: what exactly is the difference between New Romantic and New Wave.

I have always considered there to be only a very fine line. (or maybe only some different fashion sense) [;)]

TM

yeah, eye-liner.
elektrikblu
"Don't look at the carpet/ I drew something awful on it/ See."
elektrikblu
Personal Jesus

Postby Funeral Pyre » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:25 am

MissingPersons wrote:I think Corey Hart was more "Hi-Tech AOR" than New Wave. Like Mr. Mister and John Parr.

By the way I have seen Munchener Freiheit being branded as New Wave, but it doesn't seem right to me. I think they belong more to the Hi-Tech AOR genre as well.

interestingly enough, KROQ and 91X were playing Mr. Mister according to their "Top Played Songs of 1985" year end lists.

"Sunglasses At Night" is certainly a New Wave song, I'm just not sure if any New Wave stations were playing it in the '80s. But being retroactively considered New Wave is far better than being considered bland AOR.
Funeral Pyre
Switchin' to Glide

Postby soulstewmartin » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:33 pm

This is a question of cultural upbringing. For me (Living in Germany but reading the NME from 1977 on)
New Wave was the safer term used after the original "1-2-3-4"-Bands lost their spark. Post Punk is a team used much later for that as well - but concentrating more on the less poppy-side (Joy Division, Gang of Four, Wire, (early) Devo, Talking Heads)
New Romantic came later with Spandau Ballet, Visage, Culture Club (somehow) - more make up, more "up"lifting, less political
Really loved the first Duran Duran album, which I would consider New Wave - especially with their quote to become a mixture of Chic and the Sex Pistols.

just my two pennies worth - or euro cent :-)
soulstewmartin
Running Up That Hill

Postby LaidInRuins » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:40 am

You can seemingly chase your tail for hours trying to classify an album, much less an artist as some subgenre of new wave. And where does one draw the line between AOR, Glam Rock and Glam Metal? OMD is usually classed as 'synthpop', but a synthpop genre playlist is kind of interrupted by something like New Stone Age. Does synthpop have a 'no guitars allowed' rule, and if not, where does it cross into new wave? Can I call Short Romans post-punk, when apparently Modern English is post-punk and they sound nothing alike... and people also call The Wild Swans post-punk, but then wth is 'Jangle Pop'? I'd class Oingo Boingo as belonging to the same genre as The Cars and Talking Heads, but is that new wave? Its not power pop... is it something called 'power wave'?

As with any music collection, that which you collect the most of is hardest to classify because you inevitably end up with bands that do not sound similar grouped together. I suppose it might be easier to just have a genre called 'Sounds like Duran Duran' where I could include the conga line of Duran Duran ripoffs (most of which are good, of course).
LaidInRuins
Take On Me

Re:

Postby ABOATES » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:39 am

highway1pch wrote:If you're not going to accept Duran Duran as New Wave, then how about Adam & The Ants, Ultravox, or Visage?

The Police? Bust out Outlandos D'Amour and then you can't deny these guys are New Wave (much like Sandanista!-era Clash).

<a href="http://www.ocnewwave.blogspot.com/"><font color="#ff6600"><font size=+1.5>OC New Wave Blog</font></a>
<font color="#00ff00"><font="westminster">Music videos, Orange County concerts, and more.</font>

Devo, Adam and the Ants, Ultravox, Visage are all NW for sure.
Duran Duran started as a NW/NR mix, but quickly became more top-40/MTV video stars. I guess they were still NW...sort of...

The Police is an interesting one. Again, I know they started out with spikey hair and an attitude, but they quickly became very popular as well. I would not call their more popular work NW. Every Breath You Take is top 40 soft rock in the realm of a Hall and Oates.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby ABOATES » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:41 am

LaidInRuins wrote:You can seemingly chase your tail for hours trying to classify an album, much less an artist as some subgenre of new wave. And where does one draw the line between AOR, Glam Rock and Glam Metal? OMD is usually classed as 'synthpop', but a synthpop genre playlist is kind of interrupted by something like New Stone Age. Does synthpop have a 'no guitars allowed' rule, and if not, where does it cross into new wave? Can I call Short Romans post-punk, when apparently Modern English is post-punk and they sound nothing alike... and people also call The Wild Swans post-punk, but then wth is 'Jangle Pop'? I'd class Oingo Boingo as belonging to the same genre as The Cars and Talking Heads, but is that new wave? Its not power pop... is it something called 'power wave'?

As with any music collection, that which you collect the most of is hardest to classify because you inevitably end up with bands that do not sound similar grouped together. I suppose it might be easier to just have a genre called 'Sounds like Duran Duran' where I could include the conga line of Duran Duran ripoffs (most of which are good, of course).

Oingo Boingo was similar to Devo for sure. I don't really see much connection to The Cars or Talking Heads...either way...all were NW for sure.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Previous

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions