Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Bands that I thought arent New Wave but are

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby DSR » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:39 am

You're wrong man! These bands were played in the early playlist of both WXB102 and DZBM Power105.[;)] That was early 1985.[8D] They were even played on 99.5RT NEW WAVE FORMAT. ....so they are NEW WAVE.[;)]
1. Duran Duran
2. Spandau Ballet
3. Devo
4. Industry
5. The Police

[:)]An apple a day keeps the doctor away!
DSR
DSR
The Jet Set

Postby empyrean » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:50 am

Thanks for the info man. Maybe i just havent heard them when i listen to these stations. Im not hooked all the time. But its hard to accept these bands were played in other pop radio stations like WLS FM and even WKC before. But i dont here Jesus and the Mary Chain or even the Killing Joke played in these pop stations. At least DZMZ has Wave 180 every sunday. I just dont know if its up until now.

time in limited supply,under threat of extinction,that indefinable nothing, somehow motivates you, finding the right words, can be a problem,
empyrean
Room at the Top

Postby DSR » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:02 am

Of course you don't hear JESUS AND THE MARY CHAIN and KILLING JOKE on pop stations on circa 1985-87(XB vs BM) and 1987-1990(BM vs NU) because they aren't new wave stations.[;)] WAVE180 was a defunct NEW WAVE radio show of the 90s and they weren't that deep.[8D] I've been into the NEW WAVE GENRE since 1983 and in my opinion WAVE180 was the least NEW WAVE RADIO show I have to recommend.[;)]

DSR
DSR
The Jet Set

Postby suttonrecords » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:03 am

Yes, and the original DJs of WXB-102 still play them here:

http://www.live365.com/stations/xb_102

[quote][i]Originally posted by DSR[/i]
<br>You're wrong man! These bands were played in the early playlist of both WXB102 and DZBM Power105.[;)] That was early 1985.[8D] They were even played on 99.5RT NEW WAVE FORMAT. ....so they are NEW WAVE.[;)]
1. Duran Duran
2. Spandau Ballet
3. Devo
4. Industry
5. The Police

DSR
[/quote]

Michael Sutton
CEO/Sutton Records
http://www.suttonrecords.com
suttonrecords
Personal Jesus

Postby suttonrecords » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:07 am

That's because those New Wave radio stations in Manila were so popular that the mainstream pop stations started incorporating some of those records to boost their ratings back in the day. I mean, New Wave was the dominant musical genre of our country's youth culture in the '80s. There wasn't even any heavy metal being played in Manila during the '80s that I recall. Certainly there were no hard-rock stations in Manila in the '80s. It was either New Wave or pop mixed in with some New Wave.

[quote][i]Originally posted by paul simpson[/i]
<br>Thanks for the info man. Maybe i just havent heard them when i listen to these stations. Im not hooked all the time. But its hard to accept these bands were played in other pop radio stations like WLS FM and even WKC before. But i dont here Jesus and the Mary Chain or even the Killing Joke played in these pop stations. At least DZMZ has Wave 180 every sunday. I just dont know if its up until now.

time in limited supply,under threat of extinction,that indefinable nothing, somehow motivates you, finding the right words, can be a problem,
[/quote]

Michael Sutton
CEO/Sutton Records
suttonrecords
Personal Jesus

Postby suttonrecords » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:11 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by SwampThing[/i]
<br>All those bands except maybe Industry were played on my local "New Wave/Modern Rock" stations in the early 80's.

Paul, maybe you could tell us what attributes a band must have to be considered New Wave? For me there is plenty of cross-over in this genre.

Paul Simpson?

Are there an NWO members in the Phillipnes that don't like "Care", "Wild Swans" and "Lotus Eaters"? Just a question, please take no offense. There seems to be a "small" obsession with these bands.
<font size="1"></font>
[/quote]

Care, the Wild Swans, and the Lotus Eaters were among the most popular -- and played -- New Wave bands in Manila during the '80s. Their fan followings there rivaled that of the Cure and Depeche Mode. I'd add Fra Lippo Lippi to the list.

Michael Sutton
CEO/Sutton Records
suttonrecords
Personal Jesus

Postby DSR » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:15 am

You are right MIKE![;)] It was very surprising back then that both WXB102 and DZBM POWER105 were included on the TOP 10 RADIO STATIONS.[;)] An achievement we never expected considering the POPCULTURE surrounding the country.[;)]

DR. STIRRING RHOD
DSR
The Jet Set

Postby suttonrecords » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:22 am

Yup! And NU-107 debuted in the top five when they debuted with their New Wave format. I have a copy of JINGLE magazine from the '80s which had Simple Minds' "Sparkle in the Rain" LP as among the Top 10 best-selling vinyls in Manila. Crazy!

[quote][i]Originally posted by DSR[/i]
<br>You are right MIKE![;)] It was very surprising back then that both WXB102 and DZBM POWER105 were included on the TOP 10 RADIO STATIONS.[;)] An achievement we never expected considering the POPCULTURE surrounding the country.[;)]

DR. STIRRING RHOD
[/quote]

Michael Sutton
CEO/Sutton Records
suttonrecords
Personal Jesus

Postby tha_farfetch » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:39 am

1.- New Romantic
2.- New Romantic
3.- New Wave/Synth Pop
4.- New Wave/Synth Pop
5.- New Wave with a Pop-Reggae orientation

I like all those bands except "The Police". I personally don't enjoy that "touch of reggae" injected on their songs. Besides, the fact of being so mainstream.

FarFetch.
tha_farfetch
Personal Jesus

Postby SwampThing » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:24 pm

[quote]What im looking for a new wave is kind of Wild Swans stuff, or The Chameleons or maybe The Jesus and Mary Chain, or even A Drop In The Gray.[/quote] Hmmmm. Well the Chameleons are my favorite band, and I dare say they are less New Wave than the bands mentioned in the original post.

I have the Wild Swans Cd's and there OK in my opinion, but they never took off here in the states, while a band like the Ocean Blue did, they were both marketed and presented by Sire records, so they had pretty much equal footing with that respect. There was nothing really edgy (deeper?) about these bands, they wrote some really nice pop songs.

Another band that gets mentioned a lot by my Filipino friends is Railway Children, which I consider heads and above the rest.

<font size="1"></font>
SwampThing
Room at the Top

Postby suttonrecords » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:48 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by SwampThing[/i]
<br>[quote]

I have the Wild Swans Cd's and there OK in my opinion, but they never took off here in the states

<font size="1"></font>
[/quote]

The best stuff never did, unfortunately. When I returned here, I would ask for the Pale Fountains and Fra Lippo Lippi, and the folks at Tower were completely clueless. I couldn't even find Orange Juice here until Edwyn Collins had a hit ten years ago.

Michael Sutton
CEO/Sutton Records
suttonrecords
Personal Jesus

Postby Crimsor » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:44 pm

Speaking of The Care, does anyone know where I can purchase their cds? Google isnt helping me a lot! Sorry to post off topic.
Crimsor
Take On Me

Postby suttonrecords » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:44 pm

Right here:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.a ... 2557&BAB=M

I love this store. Excellent prices & service! Highly recommended.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Crimsor[/i]
<br>Speaking of The Care, does anyone know where I can purchase their cds? Google isnt helping me a lot! Sorry to post off topic.
[/quote]

Michael Sutton
CEO/Sutton Records
suttonrecords
Personal Jesus

Postby glokstadt » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:02 pm

In know everyone is debating The Police as being new wave or not, they do "White" Reggae; hence, the name of their first album: white reggae in French, although Canary In A Coal Mine passes for a Rocksteady style, and almost Ska beat. [;)]

Funny thing about The Police and making it in the U.S. was they had to open for other arena bands. I remember having to go see Journey ([xx(]) because The Police were the opening act on their latest North American tour, and I think it was the Zadda Mendatta album for The Police because next time they came to the U.S. they had their own tour: Ghoast In The Machine. When I went with my friends to that Journey concer, they didn't even know who The Police were, and thought I was nuts listening to "that" kind of music--all they knew how to do was flick their lighters [V] to Journey's slow songs and smoke the "weed!" [xx(] [V]

Buit they woke up and smelled the coffee, 'cause we all went to see The Police on their GITM tour! And they loved them!!! [:D]
glokstadt
Room at the Top

Postby djcraig » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:39 pm

[quote]Originally posted by paul simpson
[br]I want confirmation if the following bands are new wave or not because for me they are not new wave.

1. Duran Duran
2. Spandau Ballet
3. Devo
4. Industry
5. The Police
[/quote]

All depends on your definition of "New Wave". For me it's such a far reaching, wide definition it encompasses much and is hard to define where it begins and ends. Part of New Wave is attitude, part is music, part is appearance.

It's kind of like when Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart tried to define the meaning of 'obscene'- "I know it when I see it", he said.

Tom Petty used to get played on KROQ in the early 80's but is not New Wave to me.

The best definition of New Wave I ever heard was, "New Wave is the illegitimate child of Punk and Disco". This definition bothered me at first but the more I thought about it, the more sense it made.

I'd be interested in others' definitions of 'New Wave'.

<a href= http://

<a href="http://www.djcraig.net/">DJ Craig</a>
djcraig
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions