Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Anybody remember Animotion?

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Anybody remember Animotion?

Postby expo86 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:58 am

They're from Los Angeles. The song "Obsession" was used on a number of TV shows. Two weeks ago I won the STRANGE BEHAVIOR cd on Ebay. I love every song on this one. I have the tape but the audio goes to one side now. The cd is made in Germany. "I Engineer" used to get airplay on Z95.3 in Vancouver. They used to have 'The Eighties at 8'on Sunday nights.
expo86
Switchin' to Glide

Postby dead_irony@yahoo.com » Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:31 am

Hey there!
I remember Animotion really well, mainly cuz I loved that "Obsession" song.

Sometime in the late 80s, I want to say '87 or '88, lead singer Astrid Plane left the band and for some reason they decided to replace her with actress Cynthia Rh
dead_irony@yahoo.com
Personal Jesus

Postby KYYX4ever » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:01 am

"I Engineer" is actually quite good--listen to it again, you guys; you just may be surprised. go ahead, i dare you.

however, the rest of their stuff is kind of....well, kind of crashing, disconnected noise a bit on the lame side. "Obsession", OTOH,
KYYX4ever
Room at the Top

Postby unguarded moment » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:22 am

Animotion were one of the many artists at the tail end of the New Wave era, almost too "pop" or dance-oriented to be considered "alternative." "Obsession" is a minor classic, though.
unguarded moment
Personal Jesus

Postby BHols » Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:12 am

I remember the original version getting played to death on LIR before the Animotion version came out. I liked both songs equally, I just like the song, though I prefered the production on the latter. LIR wouldn't touch the Animotion version with a dirty b
BHols
Personal Jesus

Postby bpdp3 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:18 am

There's NOTHING wrong with any self-respecting new waver throwing Animotion on the stereo....
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby gilson80boy » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:34 am

Most definitely, have all there CD albums, including the very hard to find West German Import with Obsession. Great Stuff!!
gilson80boy
Personal Jesus

Postby expo86 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:25 pm

[quote]Originally posted by KYYX4ever
[br]"I Engineer" is actually quite good--listen to it again, you guys; you just may be surpri
expo86
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Blaster » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:15 am

I also Have & Remember The Michael DesBarres/Holly Night "Original", & then later a "Top-40" version seemed to come out (Animotion), which was OK too.
Similar to the original Falco "Der Kommisar" & Later the "After the fire" English version.
Blaster
Take On Me

Postby ExRat » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:20 am

I also have an fondness for "I Engineer". A really great new wave song from a fairly decent album. Can't say I am as pleased with "Obsession" or "Let Him Go".

When Astrid Plane left and Cynthia Rhodes joined the whole thing just went frighteningly bad
ExRat
Room at the Top

Postby DearGod » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:00 am

Ok......
I think im "11" and dancing to "master and servant" when Animotion comes on ...... All i remember is moving the pelvis and dancing under my radioshack strobelight.hehehe
...that song made me a Lil Ho[8)]
DearGod
Room at the Top

Postby Glen » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:12 am

I liked both of Animotion's albums with the original lineup. In seemed that "Strange Behavior" was a little more synth-driven and less poppy. Funny connection about the later Animotion with Cynthia Rhodes: Holly Knight--who as mentioned above co-wrote "Ob
Glen
Personal Jesus

Postby TheRob » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:16 pm

The bad late-1980s Animotion song is "Room To Move", in case anyone wondered. Don't watch the video. The song is actually a remake -- Rob Fischer from Naked Eyes recorded it a year earlier.

I haven't heard "I Engineer" in years.
TheRob
Switchin' to Glide

Postby British » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:55 am

I bought animotion's album on vinyl, used. I dunno, it's okay, but definitely not in my 'gems' collection. "obsession" sounds like the Human League sang it. Astrid looks, um, strange. :)
British
Room at the Top

Postby Elf » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:39 pm

Great under rated band! I love "I Engineer". This song should have gotten a lot more airplay.
Elf
Switchin' to Glide

Next

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions