Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Bands I, or anyone else can't stand!

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Bands I, or anyone else can't stand!

Postby expo86 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:40 am

I'll go first. This question was brought up at www.theloudestrock.com.

I HATE REM, Queen, Genesis, Phil Collins, The Police, The Barenaked Ladies, Metallica, Foreigner, and The Red Hot Chili Peppers. Who cares? I don't know any songs by Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, or Creed so I'll save my comments for now.

Something about the Red Hot Chili Peppers doesn't sit well with me either. Maybe it's the singer. Great drummer! I'll say that. Every time they release a new album it becomes the best album of the year. AND to quote Bryan Adam's manager Bruce Allen: "You'll never guess who got the best album of the year - The Red Hot Chili Peppers. Same music, same vocals!" He said this one night in January 2000.

REMs music is embedded on EVERY rock and pop station. And like I said over at theloudestrock.com: "They are NOT New Wave as was mentioned in December 2003 in The Province Newspaper. Their just plain annoying. A few years ago they booked stadiums across the United States with seating capacity of 16000+ and EVERY WHERE THEY WENT they only sold enough tickets to fill a theater where they had to move their concert. If Michael Stipes walked into my work, he gets treated no differently than anybody else from me."

Queen is another band I HATE! Their songs crop up on so many movie soundtracks. The next time I hear a Queen song at a cinema I'm going to yell "ENOUGH of F**king Queen!"

Phil Collins is a great guy but his music gets so much airplay why bother buying his music.

I also hate MY SHARONA by The Knack. Anybody know what happened to these guys. I don't care. I'll be back for more!
expo86
Switchin' to Glide

Postby dead_irony@yahoo.com » Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:16 am

Well this board is bound to piss some people off...

I guess I too have come to hate R.E.M. I loved them in the 80s and I will always defend my belief that "Automatic For the People" is an amazing album. But dear God---Monster? That was crap! My husband
dead_irony@yahoo.com
Personal Jesus

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:40 am

Ditto REM. This is going to sound petty but... I think it was just around the time of their first really popular album - Reckoning, well after the great Radio Free Europe - that everyone jumped on the bandwagon proclaiming how much they loved REM and "n
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby SwampThing » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:04 am

REM is arguably one of the greatest American "College Rock" bands of the 80's (I don't consider them a "New Wave Band"). I'm partial to jangle pop so I probably embraced them more than most modern rock fans.

With that said "Document" was their last gr
SwampThing
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:24 am

[quote]Originally posted by expo86
[br]I'll go first. This question was brought up at www.theloudestrock.com.

I HATE REM, Queen, Genesis, Phil Collins, The Police, The Barenaked Ladies, Metallica, Foreigner, and The Red Hot Chili Peppers. W
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:39 am

Sorry, I get the write fast but think slow syndrome - bad habit for bulletin boards. I just meant that they were another band that came out about the same time with the more guitar focus, but I completely embraced them.

Your post is probably more accu
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby 2Nu » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:55 am

OK, time time to switch from REM bashing to someone who in my book tops the 80's can't stand 'artist'
Remember TACO? and that abhorrent retro throwback cover of "Puttin on The Ritz"? The video imagery still makes me retch. [xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]
2Nu
Room at the Top

Postby BHols » Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:01 am

I feel so close to all of you now!!!
I HATE! HATE!! HATE!!! REM & U2 with a flaming passion.
Over rated self important twats, with whiney lead singers with over inflated egos. I wish the lot of them would just disappear.
I was so sick of everyone say
BHols
Personal Jesus

Postby SwampThing » Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:03 am

I don't if it's the popularity that makes us stop liking a band or the fact that the songwriting eventually wanes for whatever reason.

Not many bands are able to string more than a few good releases.

Hardcore, unobjective fans support artists not
SwampThing
Room at the Top

Postby bpdp3 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:19 am

I know I'm getting off topic, but....

you guys are touching on something I must've discussed with friends at least a dozen times - - the ongoing value (if any) of rem and U2...

I have a hard time thinking of either of these groups as new wave anymor
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby KYYX4ever » Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:33 am

quote:
"In both cases, however, I think my interest in these groups lessened the more "preachy" they started to appear..... Please refer to my new-wave universal truth:

New Wave + self-righteousness = BLAH"

&
"I don't (know)if it's the popularit
KYYX4ever
Room at the Top

Postby 2Nu » Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:42 am

I feel it must be attributed to the overwhelming pressure the record companies place on these artists to churn out 'hit' material after they have signed their creative souls away in exchange for the obscene $$ figure contracts. Who could keep any semblanc
2Nu
Room at the Top

Postby unguarded moment » Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:23 am

Don't confuse early U2 with anything after (or during) "Joshua Tree". "Boy" is about amazing a debut as any I've heard during that era. "October" was a great sophomore effort, "Gloria" being one of their very best songs.
unguarded moment
Personal Jesus

Postby BHols » Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:52 am

[quote]Originally posted by KYYX4ever
[br]quote:
--and this may be hard to admit for some of us hardcore wavers--a big part of it
BHols
Personal Jesus

Postby Frayo » Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:25 am

modern stuff like limp bizkit and korn and all that mess is just crap.
The only good modern metal to emerge from the 90s is Marilyn Manson.

Most popular modern crap just sucks hard ass IMHO.

Well, most people tend to find later 80s speed metal (A L
Frayo
Room at the Top

Next

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions