Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Undertones

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Undertones

Postby unguarded moment » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:13 pm

Any Undertones fans out there? Has anyone got their recently issued DVD? I don't recall any mention of them here at the Outpost. They were a great band, and I always thought they were more pop than punk, somewhat like the Buzzcocks or Ramones. Feargal Sharkey had one of the unique voices in New Wave.
unguarded moment
Personal Jesus

Postby bpdp3 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:41 pm

Believe it or not, I first heard the Undertones when I loaned their dbut record out from my small-town public library, probably in '81; I imagine the local FM station donated their promo copy. It was love at first listen.

I now have the debut, Hypnotis
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby jetboy » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:44 pm

"It's Going To Happen" is still a wonderful pop song (with a great video to boot). An Undertones DVD will be a great addition to any collection. What does it consist of??
jetboy
Take On Me

Postby Ollie Stench » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:10 am

I was just listening to the first LP last night!
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby ExRat » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:43 am

I am a HUGE fan of the Undertones! Feargal Sharkey had an amazing voice - although I've heard many disparage it. I am most fond of "My Perfect Cousin" - that line slamming Kenny and his Human League type synth-band. Hilarious. I think the Undertones were
ExRat
Room at the Top

Postby ekahob » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:51 am

I picked up the reissues of the first two records recently. Lots of extra tracks on the first one. A few on the second. I seem to recall seeing them open for Joe Jackson when they used to have concerts at Great Adventure amusement Park in NJ. Later th
ekahob
The Jet Set

Postby mare_idol » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:53 am

I've always loved the Undertones since I was a teenager.

A NYC band called The Pristeens has covered their "Teenage Kicks." My favorite song is "Get Over You" -- the lyrics are brilliant and any girl who is "different" can definitely relate :)
mare_idol
The Jet Set

Postby Dave » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:55 am

Undertones are great!! "It's Going to Happen" got me hooked too... ran right out and bought the album. Reminds me a bit of Housemartins' "Happy Hour".

You've all mentioned the best songs: My Perfect Cousin (perfectly bitter punk/nw sentiment - and me
Dave
The Jet Set

Postby Mr. DNA » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:06 am

I would definitely pick up the Undertones DVD...any idea where to purchase this thing...

A friend of mine actually has Feargal tattooed on his upper arm...

and did anyone say "You Got My Number, Why Don't You Use It"??

classic
Mr. DNA
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Elf » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:16 am

Are these the guys that did a song Here come the summer? or something similar to that? Raspy sounding voice?
Elf
Switchin' to Glide

Postby bpdp3 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:52 am

yes, here comes the summer is on their debut.

Was reminded with the recent passing of John Peel that he always said the Undertones song 'Teenage Kicks' was the greatest song of all time....
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby romanticide » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:55 pm

Open questions to all you Undertones fans:

Which version of the song, "True Confessions" is better, the one from the original "Teenage Kicks" EP, or the one from the US LP of "The Undertones"? Note that the Rykodisc and Dojo CD rereleases of "The Unde
romanticide
Take On Me

Postby Ollie Stench » Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:49 am

The local high school radio station used to have a new wave show called "Ready Steady Go" Friday nights from midnight til 6am. I first heard "My Perfect Cousin" on RSG when it was introduced as a new single from The Undertones. Must have been, what, 198
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby WoodlandParkPunk » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:04 am

Love em'. Very easy and fun to play the bass along with.
WoodlandParkPunk
Room at the Top

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions