Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

top 5 gay 80's singers

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby KYYX4ever » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:29 am

Not An issue.

Best gay 80's song:

"Smalltown Boy" & "Why" by Bronski Beat !
KYYX4ever
Room at the Top

Postby DearGod » Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:18 am

fer sure....bronski beat were my fav homo's[:D]
DearGod
Room at the Top

Postby skeggia » Wed May 04, 2005 7:32 pm

Dominic Appleton of Breathless.
Great singer and lyricist
skeggia
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Marilyn » Fri May 06, 2005 1:53 pm

Jimmy Somerville for sure!
[:D]
Marilyn
Take On Me

Postby mygreen » Fri May 06, 2005 10:39 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by Blir[/i]
<br>[quote]Originally posted by uofsc93
[br]Neil Tennant - dragged kicking and screaming out of the closet. Andy Bell, Jimmy Sommerville of course.

How about a thread on most openly gay song? Handsome Devil by the Smiths gets my vote.
[/quote]

Smiths could be argued. Was it openly gay or him just being subversive and playful? How about the Damned's Jet Boy Jet Girl? "He gives me head"?? Again, maybe just some subterfuge, I don't know. I would think there must be some Wayne County song...but now that he's a woman, I guess she's not gay, yes, no?

My official vote goes to Jimmy Summerville's "For A Friend", a beautiful and heartfelt song that I recommend anyone to check out.

[/quote]

Not that it is an issue but I oftened wondered about the Smiths. I just really really like them so I guess it doesn't matter anyway!
mygreen
The Jet Set

Postby WolverineSyr » Sat May 07, 2005 11:32 pm

Although I really liked Why, I never liked Bronski Beat or Jimmy Sommerville. I always thought the songs were just too self-pitying or unempowering, and I didn't like the falsetto at all. I know I'm probably in the minority.
I had a hard time identifying with any of the "out" singers at the time, although I appreciate that they were there & potentially role models for others.
With that said, I really loved Sylvester, who was not new wave but dance. I think his voice is astounding and I loved how joyous he was about who he was and everything he sang about. I really miss him! I would also choose the Village People over most of the other gay musicians, only because they had fun and a great sense of humor. I don't think they were anything to brag about in the vocal department, the songs were ridiculous, but they were the first gay group I was ever exposed to. I have a real soft spot in my heart for them because of that.
I guess if it comes down to best gay new wave vocalist I'll choose Boy George.
WolverineSyr
Room at the Top

Postby jeromeQc » Sun May 08, 2005 2:26 pm

David Bowie
Iggy Pop
Klaus Nomi

And I don't know neither which other one were gay or straight even if most new wave artist looked gay.
jeromeQc
Running Up That Hill

Postby italianwave » Sun May 08, 2005 10:57 pm

Just one, but I think he was bisexual:

Billy Mackenzie, the Associates, the greatest band ever.
italianwave
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Lazlo Nibble » Mon May 09, 2005 2:32 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by WolverineSyr[/i]
<br>Although I really liked Why, I never liked Bronski Beat or Jimmy Sommerville. I always thought the songs were just too self-pitying or unempowering, and I didn't like the falsetto at all. I know I'm probably in the minority.[/quote]
I've always enjoyed Somerville's stuff, particularly The Communards. Nearly had a heart attack when I first heard his speaking voice, though!
Lazlo Nibble
Take On Me

Postby debkny » Mon May 09, 2005 4:34 am

LOVE Jimmy Sommerville!

Freddie Mercury, anyone???
debkny
Switchin' to Glide

Postby dead_irony@yahoo.com » Mon May 09, 2005 4:58 am

I can't believe no one has mentioned Boy George?!
dead_irony@yahoo.com
Personal Jesus

Postby tiger_mn » Mon May 09, 2005 5:16 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by dead_irony@yahoo.com[/i]
<br>I can't believe no one has mentioned Boy George?!
[/quote]

Exrat did. [8D]
tiger_mn
The Jet Set

Postby ben_at_work » Mon May 09, 2005 5:37 am

isnt that bloke from judas priest gay or is he married to a real woman. wasnt into thier music but my friends were. i always knew he was queer as a football bat. not that there is anything wrong with that. i remember thinking boy george was kinda cute till i found out it was a guy. i hope thats not the sign. he never made it move though. [xx(]
ben_at_work
Room at the Top

Postby savethewave » Mon May 09, 2005 6:00 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by skeggia[/i]
<br>Dominic Appleton of Breathless.
Great singer and lyricist
[/quote]

Good choice, but he's got a lisp, where he sings the "s" sound as "th." That little bit is slightly distracting to me, maybe because I had a speech impediment (stuttering) when I was younger, and am just very aware of them when I hear others speak.

Jimmy Sommerville and Andy Bell's voices both have this amazing angelic quality I find very pleasant to listen to.

Bob Mould from Husker Du also has a gritty voice that appeals to me as well.
savethewave
The Jet Set

Postby Mood 481 » Tue May 10, 2005 9:00 am

Best openly gay song IMO is Bronski Beat's "Need A Man Blues" on the Age of Consent release.

BTW, new to the forum and it's very cool!!!
Mood 481
Running Up That Hill

PreviousNext

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions