Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Any Nik Kershaw Fans?

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Any Nik Kershaw Fans?

Postby jumpshift » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:25 am

Does anyone here like and enjoy the music of Nik Kershaw? Here in the States he's probably known as a one hit wonder due to his most well known and catchy song "Wouldn't It Be Good" which reached #46 on the U.S. billboard charts back in 1984. But in England he had many other well known songs such as I won't let the sun go down on me, Don Quixote, Human Racing, Wide Boy, and my favorite of his "The Riddle". He's a very underrated new wave artist and his albums Human Racing and The Riddle have very nice songwriting in them. Similar to Howard Jones but even better.

Here's a couple of his very creative videos.

The Riddle

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6mzrypAXduA

Wouldn't It Be Good

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1vNGAR7bOMU
jumpshift
The Jet Set

Re: Any Nik Kershaw Fans?

Postby InvisibleMan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:08 pm

found myself listening to Dancing Girls recently, cool 80 synthpop tune. I don't think Nik had much success in US for some reason
InvisibleMan
The Jet Set

Postby MissingPersons » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:14 pm

There's another similar singer I shall mention. Belouis Some.

InvisibleMan wrote:found myself listening to Dancing Girls recently, cool 80 synthpop tune. I don't think Nik had much success in US for some reason

Bad luck. His videos didn't get much attention unlike Wang Chung or Howard Jones. I think American success in the 80s was all about MTV videos, no matter the genre you chose. And of course your lyrics should've been in English. That's why a-ha hit #1 with Take On Me, for example.
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby MarcD » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:33 pm

MarcD
Take On Me

Postby WeLiveSoFastx83 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:49 pm

The two OP posted are probably his best. "Nobody Knows" and "Shame on You" are pretty good as well. I've only started warming up to "Dancing Girls" and "Wild Horses".
WeLiveSoFastx83
Switchin' to Glide

Postby MarcD » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:43 pm

WeLiveSoFastx83 wrote:The two OP posted are probably his best. "Nobody Knows" and "Shame on You" are pretty good as well. I've only started warming up to "Dancing Girls" and "Wild Horses".

Dark Glasses.

MarcD
Take On Me

Postby KYYX4ever » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:00 am

I LOVE "Dark Glasses" and "The Riddle" ! But I have hardly heard much of his other stuff, except his singles.
KYYX4ever
Room at the Top

Postby MarcD » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:03 pm

Last edited by MarcD on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarcD
Take On Me

Postby Passing_Stranger » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:30 am

Great singles artist - his tunes from the first two albums are among the best the 1980s had to offer regarding pop music. Just pure genius. Still, very uneven albums with lots of tuneless sub-Stevie Wonder stuff. Greatest hits type compilations seem to be the best bet for casual listener.

Have to single out "Dancing Girls" - somewhat surprised that the song that had more in common with "Metamatic" than with, say, Thompson Twins has been chosen as a single in 1984! And didn't flop, come to think of it. His "electronic" peak, for sure, fantastic stuff.

Not familiar with the laster albums, heard it's a bit "heavier" stuff, especially lyrically. Anyway, Nik is a likeable artist, if maybe not the top tier one. Recommended.

P.S. Oh yes, some terrific B-sides! "Dark Glasses", "Monkey Business", "Don't Lie"... Much better than some of the LP stuff!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions