Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Does anyone like covers???

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Does anyone like covers???

Postby tborg1987 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:57 am

Does anyone like covers of old new wave songs or any classic song for that matter?? I personally don't like it because it is lazy, it takes away crdit from the original artist,people forget who made the original,and it ruins old songs for future generations. Does anyone else like covers or hate it as much as i do??? Are there any good covers out there???
tborg1987
Switchin' to Glide

Postby bpdp3 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:07 am

We discussed in another thread how No Doubt's cover of "It's my Life" seemed to lack much originality... however, listen to Devo do "I Can't get no Satisfaction" - - now THAT's a cool cover version. Very innovative.
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby fritzb » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:47 am

Yeah, covers are really hit or miss with me. Some are good; some are bad. I would have to agree that if all you are gonna do is record the song like the original, I don't really see the point.
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby ekahob » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:41 am

I thought it was fun when 80's punk and new wave bands did covers of 60's songs like The Ramones doing "California Sun" & "Let's Dance", Sex Pistols doing "Rock Around The Clock", "Something Else", and "C'mon Everybody", The Clash doing "I Fought The Law
ekahob
The Jet Set

Postby skinnytie » Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:12 pm

I don't think covers are a matter of laziness, I think it's because a band likes a song so much and just wants to record their own version. As far as new wave bands go, I love such covers such as "Alone Again Or" by the Damned (originally by Spirit) and
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby Jason² » Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:49 pm

Hate to be the guy to post simply to correct a factual error, but "Alone Again, Or" was actually originally a song by Love, not Spirit.
Jason²
The Jet Set

Postby Nakedprey » Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:05 pm

As long as you don't destroy the basic melodic structure of the song like some of those motherfuckers did on the DM tribute album, I can appreciate a good cover. I think people just get too attached to an original and tend to turn their noses up at cover
Nakedprey
Take On Me

Postby wiota » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:32 pm

Some covers are good because they give a new life to great songs and some are good because they bring a different sound and feel. These are some of my favorite covers that, I think, are better than the original:

Cyndi Lauper - "Money Changes Everything
wiota
Take On Me

Postby Grayson » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:32 am

I like some covers and hate others. It depends on if the cover is good musically first and foremost and then if they "respected" the original song. My current favorite cover is a cover of The Smith's "This Charming Man" by Death Cab for Cutie. I like 311'
Grayson
Take On Me

Postby Marque » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:06 am

Some goodies:

1.Madness - "Madness" (PRINCE BUSTER)
2.Japan - "Aint that Pecuilar"(Smokey Robinson/Marvin Gaye)
3.Smiths - "Maries the Name" (Elvis song )
4.Heaven 17 -"Are Everything" (The Buzzcocks)
5.Metallica - "The Wait" (Killing Joke)
6. Big
Marque
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Mr. DNA » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:25 am

DEVO's version of "Satisfaction" is hands-down WAY more amazing than the Stones...

and they're cover of "It Takes a Worried Man" ain't to shabby either

so there....
Mr. DNA
Switchin' to Glide

Postby tborg1987 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:39 am

C'mon marylin manson's sweet dreams and tainted love is awful. My teenage friends don't even want to hear the originals becuase thier god manson remixed it. I still believe covers are lazy and wrong
tborg1987
Switchin' to Glide

Postby KYYX4ever » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:48 am

i agree with skinnytie; i see it as some bands liking a song so much that they want to record their own version. it's their way to pay homage to their fave bands of their own. nowadays it seems like a lot of cover songs annoy the heck out of me...howeve
KYYX4ever
Room at the Top

Postby skinnytie » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:39 pm

omg, thanks for the correction, jfiber. And for years, I thought it was Spirit that did the original. Now I know how my friend who thought "Is She Really Going Out With Him" was by Jackson Browne felt like when they were corrected. [:)]

<blockquote
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby Momotaro » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:09 pm

The NME releases to benefit the Spastics Society had some pretty good covers!The Primitives did "Baby I don't care" on the Last Temptation of Elvis and there are a bunch of great covers on the Ruby Trax. The highlight of which has got to be Billy Bragg's
Momotaro
Take On Me

Next

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions