Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Vintage KROQ

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby Nicholls9 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:17 am

These are really great and I appreciate you making them available. These were the good KROQ years and it's fun to hear these.

Thanks again,
Sam
Nicholls9
Running Up That Hill

Postby dogeatdog » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:23 am

Hey rogger, do you have any more KROQ from 1982-1983? I am fiending!!!

Thank you for posting them.
dogeatdog
Running Up That Hill

Postby ghosty » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:57 am

Allow me to add my praise to the heap. Truly great stuff and thanks so much!
ghosty
Room at the Top

Postby roqqer » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:11 pm

More KROQ from September 1985.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/178774480105885e/

Are there any WLIR fans who have listened to these recordings of KROQ? I would really like to hear your thoughts on how the two stations compare to each other.
roqqer
Take On Me

Postby DrewTheEngineer » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:40 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by roqqer[/i]
<br>More KROQ from September 1985.
[/quote]

Wow listening to that one makes me remember the memo from Rick Carroll, "No not play all long songs."

--
Borrowed Nostalgia for the Unremembered 80's
DrewTheEngineer
Take On Me

Postby roqqer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:37 am

Happy Labor day everybody. Here is a recording of KROQ from Labor day September 1st, 1986.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/18037082a7ff4ac9/
roqqer
Take On Me

Postby ebbhead » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:00 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by roqqer[/i]
Are there any WLIR fans who have listened to these recordings of KROQ? I would really like to hear your thoughts on how the two stations compare to each other.
[/quote]

Yup. Every one of them. And loving it! (Though I'm a radio dork.) Interesting to me how different the stations sounded early on - musically. The 1984 and earlier tapes sound pretty distinctly different. Especially the KROQ tape with Rodney. WLIR was definitely taking cues from KROQ back in the day, but I was surprised to hear the music mix having as many different nuances as they did. Also, LIR had more comedy elements which I think was pretty true up thru the WDRE days. WLIR definitely felt like a tighter playlist early on too - not that any of these songs were huge hits back in the day, but a lot of songs that have endured the test of time...

A buddy of mine who is on here occasionally has a pretty cool KROQ tape from 1986. Blade intro'ing Shellshock from the "new" Molly Ringwald movie. LOL I'll have to see if he wants to post it or if he'd be cool with me posting it.
ebbhead
The Jet Set

Postby lunatic84 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:23 pm

I haven't heard all of them yet either but these are classic moments of my youth. I thought I would never hear Dusty Street ever again (since I don't have Sirrus). Roqqer you have no idea how happy you made me - I am a total sentimental fool who loves this kind of nostalgia. I have a lot of the music from the 80's but I truly miss the DJs and the "drop-ins" they use to put between songs. I don't know if any other station did it because for 9 years (1980 - 1989) I only listened to KROQ and every once in a while to 91X. Thanks Roqqer you made my summer.
lunatic84
Running Up That Hill

Postby motnow » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:09 am

Vintage KROQ Tapes-Volume#37 (from 1992)
----------------------------------------
I normally post on the other thread about Vintage WLIR.
However, I made a few trips to LA in the early 1990's.
My suitcase always incuded a boombox and dozens of blank tapes
just so I can record a sampling of KROQ during my stay.

Here's a KROQ tape from 1992 (Volume#37):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/xjhq6r
motnow
Take On Me

Postby motnow » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:47 am

My apologies....that mp3 I just uploaded has some MARS-FM in there as well as KROQ....I should have broken them out...
motnow
Take On Me

Postby ebbhead » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:14 am

motnow is a wealth of radio craziness!

Thanks for this. Very cool to hear Mars, too.
ebbhead
The Jet Set

Postby Sean » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:47 am

Oh my...Dusty Street on Mars FM. Motnow, my deepest respects for you. The quality is amazing too. All we need now is something from KSPC (K-Space 88.7). [:)]
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby roqqer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:39 am

roqqer
Take On Me

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:53 am

Awesome roqqer! Humans' "I Live In The City" twice on your tapes. Classic, classic, classic KROQ. Thanks again.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby lunatic84 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:39 pm

Now, that was way too much! I mean to hear the Poorman again and Dusty and on top of that to hear a Molsen Golden commercial - that was a classic flashback. I quit smoking cigarettes 3 years ago and just listening to that gave me incredible cravings for a smoke. Speaking of smoke - I was a friekin' idiot when I was in high school (and beyond!) and I fried my brains that I don't have much of a memory any more. I know that the memories are never erased they're just hard to reach. But with these tapes of yours - it's just incredible.
It's funny, I used to run into Poorman all the time - at the dance clubs. Thanks Roqqer - you have no idea.
lunatic84
Running Up That Hill

PreviousNext

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions