Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Teach me About The New Wave Band "The Models"

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby SomebodySomewhere » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:55 am

They never broke big in America because their songwriting was shit.
SomebodySomewhere
Room at the Top

Re: Teach me About The New Wave Band

Postby warwickjames » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:07 pm

Lol to 'songwriting is shit' -

They just had bad management, and a very 'independent' mind-set. They didn't chase fame or chart success, and some of it came nonetheless.

Very big band in Australia / NZ at the time - supported The Police and David Bowie, to name a few big stadium tours.

They had 5 studio albums in the 80s, and an EP. They featured two lead singers - Sean Kelly (snarly, indy voice) and James Freud (pop voice). They generally shared songwriting duties. James joined from 3rd album on.

Out of Mind Out of Sight was their biggest hit, but they did almost equally well with Big on Love and Barbados from the same LP.

Notable hits -

I hear motion (kelly)
Out of Mind Out of Sight (freud)
Barbados (freud)
Big on love (kelly)
Evolution (kelly)
Let's Kiss (kelly)
Hold On (freud)

Their earlier stuff was post-punk and ultra-cool - not commercial pop. I love it still!
warwickjames
Switchin' to Glide

Postby ca135805 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:49 pm

Yes there is a heap that can be said about The Models.

I remember getting Local and or General and The Pleasure Of Your Company back in the day.

These were pretty much the definition of Aussie New Wave, their later couple albums less so.

I Hear Motion and God Bless America are a couple of my favourites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01jD5049X5Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM0ndalSPJY&t=64s

James Freud had some success on his own before the band was really noticed.

Some searching will reveal he made an album with Gary Numan that I believe was never released.
ca135805
Switchin' to Glide

Postby warwickjames » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:34 pm

ca135805 wrote:Yes there is a heap that can be said about The Models.

I remember getting Local and or General and The Pleasure Of Your Company back in the day.
These were pretty much the definition of Aussie New Wave, their later couple albums less so.
I Hear Motion and God Bless America are a couple of my favourites.
James Freud had some success on his own before the band was really noticed.
Some searching will reveal he made an album with Gary Numan that I believe was never released.

Hi!

Yes - certainly their most chart success was with Out of Mind Out of Sight - which spawned 5 releases (4 of which did very well in Australia/NZ, and the title track did pretty well in USA too). Then they hurriedly recorded and released Media - their last album, and it was a train-wreck imo.

JF had just the one album, Breaking Silence, then ran off and recorded the LP you mentioned. Most of the good songs were actually released along with b-sides on the Super Deluxe Edition of Breaking Silence - still available on Sandman Records. It's an awesome release. JF hated the extra tracks - he'd roll over in his grave if he heard they were out on CD. :)
warwickjames
Switchin' to Glide

Previous

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions