Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Nick Heyward / Haircut 100

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Nick Heyward / Haircut 100

Postby jehanbosch » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:02 pm

Hello everyone
I am a Duncan Browne/Peter Godwin and Nick Heyward fan from the Netherlands.
Has anybody information on the status of the second album of Nick's band, Haircut 100 ?
It is called "Half-Baked : The Lost Album".
Like Wikipedia I thought it being a bootleg. But then I heard from a friend he got it from one of the staff of Arista Records! And other rumors as well... So maybe it was a very limited edition...
Any data would be most wellcome indeed.
Best, J.
jehanbosch
Switchin' to Glide

Postby schwenko » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:55 am

[quote]Originally posted by jehanbosch
[br]Hello everyone
I am a Duncan Browne/Peter Godwin and Nick Heyward fan from the Netherlands.
Has anybody information on the status of the second album of Nick's band, Haircut 100 ?
It is called "Half-Baked : The Lost Album".
Like Wikipedia I thought it being a bootleg. But then I heard from a friend he got it from one of the staff of Arista Records! And other rumors as well... So maybe it was a very limited edition...
Any data would be most wellcome indeed.
Best, J.
[/quote]

Calling Mr Frank Chickens!
Calling Mr Frank Chickens!
[:D]

Sugoi !!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby oldnewwaver » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:13 pm

oldnewwaver
Personal Jesus

Postby Frank_Chickens » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:49 am

Did someone call my name? [;)]

Paint and Paint is one of my all-time favourite albums and proved that they didn't need the marketing device to make good music. The splitting up of the band was very fractious with the rest of the band trying to stop the marketing device releasing 'Blue Hat to put on your Blue Bellend' or something like that by going to court. Heyward tried to pay the band to stay with him for the album.

Mark Fox proved a capable front man and with great tracks like 'Fish in a Bowl', 'Infatuation', 'Prime Time', "Too Up Two Down' etc. It's a great shame that the natural home for their music is adult market but once you've been associated with the teenyboppers, you've had it, sadly.
Frank_Chickens
Room at the Top

Postby jehanbosch » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:26 pm

Hello
Thanks for the reactions but "Paint and Paint" is Haircut 100's third album! The only one without Nick Heyward, who left the band.
By the way, this year(!) Haircut launched a double/live CD, with Nick.
Frank Chickens is probably referring to the hullabaloo around the second album; even the name is disputed! It was released indeed, either as a very limited edition or a bootleg under the name "Half-Baked : the Lost Album". Nick's vocals are missing from half of the tracks but it is quite good.
Even more interesting: a test pressing/12 inch by the name of "Blue Hat for a Blue Day" by Haircut 100, not Nick Heyward solo. It is extremely rare and I have not even seen it. No bootleg either..
Later on Nick re-recorded the song as a solo effort and it was a hit.
Best, J.
jehanbosch
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Frank_Chickens » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:13 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by jehanbosch[/i]
<br>Hello
Thanks for the reactions but "Paint and Paint" is Haircut 100's third album! The only one without Nick Heyward, who left the band.
Frank Chickens is probably referring to the hullabaloo around the second album; even the name is disputed! It was released indeed, either as a very limited edition or a bootleg under the name "Half-Baked : the Lost Album". Nick's vocals are missing from half of the tracks but it is quite good.
[/quote]

No, I think you'll find 'Paint and Paint' is their second album, not third, they only released two despite your delusions on it.
Frank_Chickens
Room at the Top

Postby Qbertqubes » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:30 am

half baked exists since i have it too but it may be their third or second..not sure when Paint and paint came out

[quote][i]Originally posted by Frank_Chickens[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by jehanbosch[/i]
<br>Hello
[/quote]

No, I think you'll find 'Paint and Paint' is their second album, not third, they only released two despite your delusions on it.
[/quote]
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Postby Frank_Chickens » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:25 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Qbertqubes[/i]
<br>half baked exists since i have it too but it may be their third or second..not sure when Paint and paint came out
[/quote]

Sigh, keep believing that even though there's no evidence of it being that.
Frank_Chickens
Room at the Top

Postby swerve » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:13 am

swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby toyah » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:18 am

Nick has aged fairly well....on a brand new episode of the popular UK "Pop Quiz" series with such as Toyah and a very shiny Paul Young among others...
http://vintage.tv/news/a-truly-christmassy-quiz
toyah
The Jet Set

Postby jehanbosch » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:58 pm

Hello Qbertqubes
"Half Baked" is the second album as it should have been released in 1983. The "Blue Hat.." 12 inch pressing has been taken from this album and was released in 1983, according to my sources.
"Paint and Paint" was indeed released in 1984.
But where in thunderation did you obtain your copy of "Half Baked" and how many tracks does it have?
My thanks in advance, J.
jehanbosch
Switchin' to Glide

Postby schwenko » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:50 am

<br>Hello Qbertqubes
"Half Baked" is the second album as it should have been released in 1983. The "Blue Hat.." 12 inch pressing has been taken from this album and was released in 1983, according to my sources.
"Paint and Paint" was indeed released in 1984.
But where in thunderation did you obtain your copy of "Half Baked" and how many tracks does it have?
My thanks in advance, J.
[/quote]

go to swerve's link (above) for Half-Baked

Sugoi !!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby jehanbosch » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:47 pm

Hello Schwenko
Yep, I was aware of Saltyka's article on Haircut 100.
The problem is that there are several versions of "Half Baked" in existence:
-the original with only 10 tracks. this is the one given to my friend N. in Wales by Arista Records.
-a later edition with 14 tracks (4 bonus tracks). This is the Bruised Fruit version I have and Saltyka lists.
Best, J.
jehanbosch
Switchin' to Glide

Postby schwenko » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:57 am

<br>Hello Schwenko
-the original with only 10 tracks. this is the one given to my friend N. in Wales by Arista Records.
-a later edition with 14 tracks (4 bonus tracks). This is the Bruised Fruit version I have and Saltyka lists.
Best, J.
[/quote]

Johan:
I can tell you that Bruised Fruit was the work of 2 people that compiled many tracks to produce cd-r s. It was not a record company, but rather a labor of love.(I personally met one of the Braised Fruit in the lobby of the old NY Times building one cold night to exchange cd-r s)

Sugoi !!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby jehanbosch » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:56 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by schwenko[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by jehanbosch[/i]
<br>Hello Schwenko
Best, J.
[/quote]

Johan:
I can tell you that Bruised Fruit was the work of 2 people that compiled many tracks to produce cd-r s. It was not a record company, but rather a labor of love.(I personally met one of the Braised Fruit in the lobby of the old NY Times building one cold night to exchange cd-r s)

Sugoi !!!
[/quote]
jehanbosch
Switchin' to Glide

Next

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions