Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

thompson twins remixes question

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

thompson twins remixes question

Postby bruiser » Fri May 23, 2003 1:23 am

the twins, in all their cleverness, would often put remixes of their a-sides as their b-sides, but they would rename them so it would seem like a new song- and in some cases (like nurse shark or lewis carol) they would be drastically deconstructed versions... my question is this: with the "future days" uk lp there was an extra disc of remixes, and the titles were: "shoot out" "alice" "heavens above" "the kiss" and "desert dancers." what songs are remixed here, and how do they compare to the regular 12 inch remixes? i know "shoot out" is dr. dream, "the kiss" is "tokyo" and "desert dancers" is "breakaway." but is "shoot out" the "ua ua" mix? is "alice" "lay your hands on me?" AND WHAT IS "HEAVENS ABOVE"?
thanks a million!
bruiser
The Jet Set

Postby fritzb » Fri May 23, 2003 6:00 am

The song line up on the remix disc is like this:

Shoot Out = Don't Mess With Doctor Dream (remix)
Alice = Lay Your Hands On Me (remix)
Heavens Above! = Future Days (remix)
The Kiss = Tokyo (remix)
Desert Dancers = Breakaway (remix)

As to how they compare with the regular 12" mixes, I can only comment on the one I have: Don't Mess With Doctor Dream (Smackattack!) 12" vs. Shoot Out. They are definitely NOT the same mix. Nor is the B-Side, Very Big Business (yet another remix of Doctor Dream).
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby bruiser » Sun May 25, 2003 9:45 am

thanks for the info- the "shoot out" mix and the "ua ua" mix i believe are the same: same backwards chant at beginning and same breakdown in the middle...
bruiser
The Jet Set

Postby Quite Life » Sun May 25, 2003 4:51 pm

As I'm Looking at my cassette tape of Side Kicks Expanded Ed. from 82,83 The first thing i say is wow this thing has survived all this time. It is a crime to see how poorly I take care of my Cd's Cassettes, and LPs.

Lies -----> Love Lies Fierce
Love on Your Side -----> Rap Boy Rap
Kamaikaze -----> Frozen In Time
All Fall Out ------> Fallen Out

Just to name a few....

late,
jr
Quite Life
Room at the Top

Postby DJ Lex » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:27 am

And yet another TT remix question...

I've been cataloging my music and I noticed that the TT "Greatest Mixes" CD and the "Singles Collection" (UK) have several identical tracks. With the exception of a few tracks, the Singles Collection labels them with a generic "Remix" and the Greatest Mixes gives remixer credit. Do these mixes have real names?

I even compared them to the vinyl mixes and they are not the same.

Thanks,
Lex
DJ Lex
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Glen » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:18 am

I've always thought that "Kamikaze"/"Frozen in Time" is a great song.
Glen
Personal Jesus

Postby bruiser » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:12 am

i just found this thread, months later, but thought i'd toss in my two cents:

you will go crazy trying to figure out what mixes are on what concerning the thompson twins. there are 10+ hits or singles collections, and there is no rhyme or reason nor accurate info for any of them. i myself have gone down this rocky path, and it will make you loco.

i will say this about the greatest mixes cd: in most cases those mixes are edits of the original extended mixes. surprising if you are hoping to hear a 9 minute remix like you remember, but i will concede that chopping out 4 minutes from a mid-period thompson twins remix is a good thing. they are LONG and repetitive.

the "high plains" mixer is a good example: as far as i remember it was 11 or 12 minutes long, but that was with the "machines take me over" instrumental section. they lopped that off and called it a different mix by a name that already existed for another mix and... oh god... oh my..... i'm getting dizzy already.....

ugh, i'm crazy again.

and woe to you that tries to reconcile the re-named remixes on the bonus albums or cassettes from that period too: "the kiss" is "tokyo"? "alice" is "lay your hands"? as is "the lewis carol"? and which mix? the same as the u.s.? or uk? or pre-nile rogers mix? or... oh god. oh god....

don't ever wade into the mess of different "doctor dream" mixes either. ABANDON HOPE YE WHO ENTER!

[quote]Originally posted by DJ Lex
[br]And yet another TT remix question...

I've been cataloging my music and I noticed that the TT "Greatest Mixes" CD and the "Singles Collection" (UK) have several identical tracks. With the exception of a few tracks, the Singles Collection labels them with a generic "Remix" and the Greatest Mixes gives remixer credit. Do these mixes have real names?

I even compared them to the vinyl mixes and they are not the same.

Thanks,
Lex
[/quote]
bruiser
The Jet Set

Postby TinTwin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:44 am

This is an invitation to come join the #1 Thompson Twins "Love on your Side" Yahoo group on the web.

Exchange messages with fellow Twins/Babble/InternationalObserver fans.

Stay up to date on News & forthcoming releases...

Check out the photos & "files" section.

You'll be glad you did...

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/th ... nyourside/
TinTwin
Running Up That Hill

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions