Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

So, when did "new wave" die?

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

So, when did "new wave" die?

Postby profpike » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:36 am

it's kinda fun batting around the whole "new wave" "not new wave thing"

I'm kind of thinking the New Wave was kind of over when REM's first album came out, It seems like after that, "alternative" was born. Thoughts?

http://www.facebook.com/MistressPam/pos ... io?fref=ts
profpike
Personal Jesus

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:25 am

It's funny because something like this has always been my recollection. I associated 83-84ish to be when new wave felt less private and less special somehow. People would come up to me with a huff about "Have you heard REM? They're great. I love em. I love new wave." No you don't, fuck off. Soon after, break dancers started showing up at clubs and that's all she wrote as far as how novel and underground those early days of Rodney on the Roq etc felt. Mind you, there was plenty of more good music to come, but it wasn't really "my" new wave anymore. Honestly, it's probably why I still kinda hold a grudge against REM, post-Vince DMode, and all the people who came into the scene around that time. It's silly and random (I don't feel that way about the Smiths for example), but it's how I've always felt.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby profpike » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:57 pm

Not sure how you would have regarded me at that time---I came kinda late to the new wave party-being in Central Wisconsin and all. Weird. Wisconsin new wavers loved the Violent Femmes-but they really weren't new wave, were they-I got into new wave through a girl I was dating at the time and kept on with the tunes after we broke up and I got into college radio at that point and I really got the sense that "new wave" was over-it was "alternative" and that's what I've clung to ever since.

http://www.facebook.com/MistressPam/pos ... io?fref=ts
profpike
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:21 pm

I've always seen 81-83 as the peak years, but the decline began in 84. Music started becoming more dancey and less new wave. Case in point, Re-Flex 'The Politics of Dancing' signaled the change from New Wave to Dance in 84, as did SPK's 'Machine Age Voodoo'. I always view Pseudo Echo's 1984 debut album 'Autumnal Park' as the last true New Wave album. You still had some good stuff in 1985, such as The Three O'Clock's 'Arrive Without Travelling', but by that time it was more Alternative than New Wave. By 86, New Wave was gone.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:55 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by profpike[/i]
<br>Not sure how you would have regarded me at that time
[/quote]
Hah, I doubt it would have been negative. Again, not saying the stuff coming up wasn't good - there was tons of good stuff. It just was different somehow than what had come before. I recoiled against the notion that this new alternative was something novel and just birthed around this time because more of the mainstream was discovering. That's doesn't seem to be what you're saying. In fact, you seem to be saying that you look at it specifically as something else, which I agree.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:05 am

when was "Violins" released?

Sugoi !!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby pranavc » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:43 am

it is hard for me to answer this since I was only born in the 80s. But based on the music that I have listened to that from that era, my guess is that New Wave in its purest form died by 1986 but lingered on till 1989. When grunge came in, New Wave as officially OUT!

www.radiocremebrulee.com - the world's most eclectic mix of current pop/rock music from today and the last 3 decades!
pranavc
Switchin' to Glide

Postby djcraig » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:17 am

It was 1984. I went to tune in my favorite little, low watt, eclectic radio station, KNAC. I loved their somewhat free-form, avant garde, adventurous mix of New Wave and Alt/Post Punk. But all I heard was metal- WTF? How could such a great station change to head banger music? I felt like I just lost a good friend.

A few years later, KROQ starting playing Grunge and all was lost but I'll never forget that night.
djcraig
Room at the Top

Postby plagiarism » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:57 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by schwenko[/i]
<br>when was "Violins" released?

[/quote]

About 80 years too early.
plagiarism
Room at the Top

Postby zill » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:52 am

It was right after Doot Doot came out. Nothing else mattered after that.
zill
Room at the Top

Postby thegoldenyear » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:06 am

Live Aid?

I mean, fashion dictates. And new wave music went hand-in-hand with fashion as much as various strains of country, metal, punk and hip-hop.

Teased hair and pastel clothing persisted awhile longer, so I can forgive Duran's and Spandau's and Bowie's sartorial cherces at the gig, if not Midge Ure's trench coat. But my favourite band at the time - Thompson Twins - looked ridiculous, as Alannah Currie's decision to bring pearls and satin into the Twins' image killed their momentum. And Adam Ant looked more out of place than he did at [i]Motown 25[/i].

Once the rote new wave look degenerated into johnny-come-lately, OTT schtick - Dr. And The Medics, Sigue Sigue, etc. - it was over. And that's, what, 1985-86?
thegoldenyear
Take On Me

Postby KYYX4ever » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:22 am

Agreed with all of you, esp. Frau Blucher. ([i]I associated 83-84ish to be when new wave felt less private and less special somehow[/i].

We had this discussion years ago on this board. I was and remain fascinated by your opinions. NW ended in 1984-ish for me. It started to segue into something more polished, smooth, dance-y. I still enjoyed a lot of it, but it was def. different. Less special. More co-opted.

I think the last "great" new wave song was "West End Girls" by Pet Shop Boys, altho NW was already in serious decline by then.
KYYX4ever
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:59 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by KYYX4ever[/i]
<br>More co-opted.
[/quote]
Ooh. That's the word!
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby oldnewwaver » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:16 am

I know for me the music died around 1988
it seemed to me from 1985-1988, the main bands were going into different directions and there were a lot of bands that came and went, and lot of the bands either split up, went solo or formed new bands
oldnewwaver
Personal Jesus

Postby bpdp3 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:35 pm

I can't and won't argue your dates, but would add...

Having kept all my music mags from that era and seen the ads/images endlessly, I think the initial use of 'new wave' as a marketing concept, and seeing the influx of labels releasing new wave albums, was over by 81. This is when you see the strong use of 'new wave' images like artists in skinny ties and sunglasses and kitschy graphic design (think B52's debut cover or the Epic records 10" Nu-Disc series graphics).

For further proof, this was when non new-wave artists would 'try out' the style, ie alice cooper and linda ronstadt. There are countless one-off albums by new wave artists from those years.

What this doesn't include is the early mtv bands, like AFOS, that I know are still tied to the concept of new wave but to me are very different. Call it new pop? Labels are tiring, so who knows.

I was born in 66, discovered music and new wave at 13 in 79, and started college in 84. I always thought the smiths, rem, etc that i listened to in college was different from new wave...but sometimes I wondered if it was because of MY changing life experience, not the actual change in music. Your input tells me that it wasn't just me!
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Next

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions