Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

OMD new album English Electric

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

OMD new album English Electric

Postby zill » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:55 pm

I've probably taken a greater interest in this than I ordinarily would have, after seeing OMD on Friday night. The reviews are generally positive...and seems better than the Depeche Mode Delta thread.

http://www.thisisfakediy.co.uk/articles ... -electric/

To cut through the bullshit of all the reviews:

1. "Please Remain Seated" - short electronic snippet of crap
2. "Metroland" - a decent 7 minute slice of synthpop; a shortened radio edit was the first single
3. "Night Café" - sickening puke sure to be a hit in the Phillipines
4. "The Future Will Be Silent" - short electronic snippet of crap
5. "Helen of Troy" - classic OMD reminiscent of Joan of Arc; a stand-out track
6. "Our System" - self indulgent crapfest
7. "Kissing the Machine" - almost as whiny as Marc Almond on Say Hello Wave Goodbye
8. "Decimal" - short electronic snippet of crap
9. "Stay With Me" - critics seem to like it...meh...
10. "Dresden" - sort of like Electricity on speed, clearly the best track on the album
11. "Atomic Ranch" - short electronic snippet of crap
12. "Final Song" - they should have ended after Dresden

So 4 of 12 tracks are artsy filler clips. Of the 8 proper songs, 3 stand up against classic OMD and 5 are a bit of a yawnfest.
zill
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:30 pm

Would you please post a photo of where you were at the exact time of listening so that we may get the full immersive feel of your experience? Thanks in advance.

PS, I'll actually take 3 songs standing up to classic OMD. Same can't be said for a lot of other old wave releases.

PPS. When did old wave die?
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby plagiarism » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:32 pm

Yep. I'll add that 7 minutes of Metroland is too much. I didn't like Helen of Troy as much as you, but I'd still put it in the positive column.
plagiarism
Room at the Top

Postby paradox » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:09 am

I love your no frills review.
What were your thoughts on their previous album, History of Modern?
About the same, 3-4 solid songs?
paradox
Running Up That Hill

Postby zill » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:47 am

Frau - do you really want to see pictures of my pleasure swing and bubble machine?

PS - I'll gladly take the 3 songs which are all better than anything from the last album.

PPS - I think one of the members of this site killed old wave. I think his name is co-op Ted...or is it coop?

Plag - Helen of Troy took a couple of listens but now I'm loving it. Remember Frau has musically clustered you beside me so you will also come to love it. Even though you can't get your head around British Sea Power.

Paradox - we can't all give reviews like Frau, and who has time really to write a review like his after meandering through the broad expanse of one's estate on the Cape?

I wasn't a fan of the last album at all as it seemed more a collection of songs and styles. The new one at least holds together better as an album.
zill
Room at the Top

Postby wherewereuin82 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:39 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by zill[/i]
<br>

we can't all give reviews like Frau, and who has time really to write a review like his after meandering through the broad expanse of one's estate on the Cape?
[/quote]

Ha!!!
wherewereuin82
Room at the Top

Postby SallyLightfoot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:17 am

I've been listening to the stream for a couple of weeks, and I'm really enjoying the album. Seems stronger than History of Modern. I'm definitely going to purchase this on the 23rd.
SallyLightfoot
Room at the Top

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions