Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Bette Bright: most underrated female vocalist eve

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Bette Bright: most underrated female vocalist eve

Postby Silvina Hernandez » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:35 am

As a big Madness fan, I first knew of her as Suggs' wife. Then I heard and dowloaded everything I could find of her work with 70s art rock band Deaf School (just 3 songs) and, later, I heard stuff from her only solo album, Rhythm Breakes The Ice (released in 1981), on YouTube, which I liked, but couldn't find on mp3. So, I kinda forgot about it until I installed Soulseek 4 months ago and searched for it and found it. It's an extraordinary albuum, one of the best I´ve ever heard. It's the perfect pop album as the songs are sooo catchy (I don't understand why it wasn't a hit). Musically, it's great, especially the drum work, but the best part is Bette's singing. She sings with such naked emotion, something that many trained singers can't achieve. She has become my favourite female singer. It's a shame that she didn't release more albums. I totally recommend it (you'll have to download the songs as it hasn't been releaed on CD, I think. All I can say is to thank you guys for recommending me to install Soulseek, as this was my way to findidng this great album.
Silvina Hernandez
Take On Me

Postby bpdp3 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:53 pm

I have a vinyl copy of Bette Bright and the Illuminations "Rhythm breaks the ice" that I got from a fellow member on this board years back. You're right, it is a good new wave pop album! Worth seeking out.

It was produced by Clive Langer who had a group called Clive Langer and the Boxes; their sound is similar, you might want to check them out. He was a pretty big producer in the mid-80's, doing the Madness lps and Dexy's Midnight Runners among others. He was the guitarist in Deaf School also, I think.

I believe Bette is still married to Madness lead singer Suggs, which makes me like both of them even more. I remember as a teen when the Madness single "It must be love" came out around the time they wed (read it in Trouser Press).
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby firefall » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:58 am

Excellent Spectorish-energetic new wave pop not far away from what was doing at the same period Josie Cotton or Go Go's.Check out also two more Deaf School releted bands The Plenets amd Original Mirrors-of Ian Broudie fame.
firefall
Personal Jesus

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions