Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

70's NYC punk scene

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

70's NYC punk scene

Postby schwenko » Wed May 01, 2013 11:46 am

can anybody provide some info on "Jane" (1974) and/or "Kidnapped" (1979). which are evidently movies documenting the 70's NYC punk scene?

Sugoi !!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby newwavepop » Sat May 04, 2013 4:55 am

never heard of these but would LOVE to know if you find anything more on them. im always trying to find vintage footage from vintage scenes. there are always these docs that go on about the sex pistols and england then mention cbgb for 5 minutes. but there were so many other cool things going on, i personally have a thing for the 70s san francisco punk scene and would love to see any footage from the mabuhay or the deaf club and other thinsgt hat were going on.
newwavepop
Personal Jesus

Postby crystal » Sat May 04, 2013 5:06 am

[quote]Originally posted by schwenko
[br]can anybody provide some info on "Jane" (1974) and/or "Kidnapped" (1979). which are evidently movies documenting the 70's NYC punk scene?
[/quote]

there is a short note on 'Kidnapped' in the 'Destroy all movies' book (http://www.punksonfilm.com) - unfotunately I don't have that around here at the moment, but maybe someone else can post the short article here...
crystal
Personal Jesus

Postby newwavepop » Sun May 05, 2013 12:32 am

(from destroy all monsters)
KIDNAPPED
Dir. Eric Mitchell I 1 978
Disenchanted New Yorkers spend an unusual evening
in a cramped apartment.
For his ambitious filmmaking experiment (which was also his directorial
debut), Mitchell collected several of his collaborators for an
open social session that degenerates into murderous debauchery.
The often blank-eyed participants include Anya Phillips, Patti Astor
and Mitchell himself. Another attendee is a black-booted leather
punk who remains nearly silent for the duration. Mitchell proves to
be his own most animated subject, desperately complimenting disinterested
female guests when not Juring the indoor loiterers into
conversations and arguments. The gathering eventually (and unexpectedly)
ramps up into a rubber-limbed dance patty, as Mitchell
leads the rug-cutting charge to Devo's "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction."
In the home stretch, they kidnap, bind and gag an unflappable
stranger (Mudd Club founder Steve Mass), forcing the doomed man
to oink at gunpoint until the creditless end. (ZC)

well i have the book and didnt even know this was in it til i saw crystals post. i also see the film available on a ratio tracker site i go to but the screen shots look very unimpressive. it has that tenth generation vhs copy look and i wouldnt say its documenting the punk scene so much as its 5 people standing around in a small living room and 1 guy has a lether jacket and 2 girls look like the human league chicks, thats probably patti and anya but like i said its pretty grainy..
newwavepop
Personal Jesus

Postby schwenko » Sun May 05, 2013 8:17 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by crystal[/i]
<br>[quote]Originally posted by schwenko
[br]can anybody provide some info on "Jane" (1974) and/or "Kidnapped" (1979). which are evidently movies documenting the 70's NYC punk scene?
[/quote]

there is a short note on 'Kidnapped' in the 'Destroy all movies' book (http://www.punksonfilm.com) - unfotunately I don't have that around here at the moment, but maybe someone else can post the short article here...
[/quote]

The book is selling for BIG bucks!

Sugoi !!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby bpdp3 » Sun May 05, 2013 11:47 am

I've spent hours reading about and looking at photo collections from this era of NYC punk and never heard of either film. Jane from 1974 must have been particularly interesting since this would be catching alot of the groups like Suicide, etc in their formative stages.
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby SO-CAL 80S » Mon May 06, 2013 12:45 am

Okay, here's what I found on what you're all typing about. This past March The New York Public Library was showing films on music of the city and there was a punk rock segment. This is what was shown:

Punking Out (1979) Shows a lot about CBGB'S and the bands that were there. Was shot in 77 so good stuff is in this.

Jane (1974) About Jane Barrington. A groupie who talks about the scene and how she got into it and such.

Kidnapped (1978) Looks like a bunch of people talking about music, politics and other stuff.

If you missed the 80's, I'm sorry.It was a great party!!
SO-CAL 80S
Running Up That Hill

Postby newwavepop » Mon May 06, 2013 12:53 am

punking out i actually have an avi of somewhere. kidnapped i can get ann avi of.jane i can find nothing on.

it would have been really cool to see those at that library showing. assuming maybe some people involved may have been there as well?
newwavepop
Personal Jesus

Postby schwenko » Mon May 06, 2013 2:50 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by newwavepop[/i]
<br>punking out i actually have an avi of somewhere. kidnapped i can get ann avi of.jane i can find nothing on.

it would have been really cool to see those at that library showing. assuming maybe some people involved may have been there as well?
[/quote]

Chris Stein and Debbie Harry were on a program that ran on a different day as part of a series.
Punking Out is on its way to me; I found Kidnapped on another site. Jane will be a tough one to score, I believe.

Sugoi !!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions