Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

public displays of ignorance of 80s music....

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

public displays of ignorance of 80s music....

Postby xymox970 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:32 am

....by well-known pop stars.

If anyone caught the programme The Story of Now! Thats What I Call Music the other day on ITV, that would have been clearly visible.

When they talked about the first few years of Now, they argued, that apart from the usual big hits included on this compilation series, there always used to be smaller ones, less-known songs to the general public.
And then they named examples....

Gabrielle couldnt even pronounce Dr.Mabuse by Propaganda....let alone know about it and Limahl never heard of Brilliant Mind by Furniture.
I really dont know why they would allow themselves being filmed saying that quite casually.....but it was quite cringeworthy.

But the next section really bothered me.
They dedicated one whole minute of the show to one of my favourites, David Sylvian and his Red Guitar single, played the piano riff to guests, and mentioned this in the context of releases with no apparent hit value whatsoever that kind of ended up on such an important compilation by mistake or maybe even by compromise from record labels. When it indeed did make it to the Top-20.
xymox970
The Jet Set

Postby Frank_Chickens » Thu May 30, 2013 7:55 am

Your post sums up my general opinion when it comes to music: most people have conservative music tastes and won't move outside their comfort zone. When something slightly different is played to them their reaction is usually negative: either they ignore, are derisory towards it or shy away from it as it breaks the bubble of their perception and introduces a new point of view.
Frank_Chickens
Room at the Top

Postby djcraig » Fri May 31, 2013 1:12 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Frank_Chickens[/i]
<br>Your post sums up my general opinion when it comes to music: most people have conservative music tastes and won't move outside their comfort zone. When something slightly different is played to them their reaction is usually negative: either they ignore, are derisory towards it or shy away from it as it breaks the bubble of their perception and introduces a new point of view.
[/quote]
Until it's been played for them a thousand times and then, when it has lost it's initial original impact and is no longer fresh, they finally acquiesce and start to like it. By then, it is has moved so far into the mainstream it is no longer interesting or has been so played out it is no longer relevant.

Often when this happens I will feel my own embarrassment for having been so excited about the song back when it came out. I then look at these people with disdain and think, "what's wrong with you?" [:D]
djcraig
Room at the Top

Postby Frank_Chickens » Fri May 31, 2013 6:23 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by djcraig[/i]

Until it's been played for them a thousand times and then, when it has lost it's initial original impact and is no longer fresh, they finally acquiesce and start to like it. By then, it is has moved so far into the mainstream it is no longer interesting or has been so played out it is no longer relevant.

I then look at these people with disdain and think, "what's wrong with you?" [:D]
[/quote]

This.
Frank_Chickens
Room at the Top

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions