Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Name That Tune, August 2013

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby schwenko » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:22 am

Will there be cash prizes in the future?[;)]

more seriously, was the Monroes a KROQ mainstay? Other than "What Do All The People Know?" I would be clueless about them

Sugoi !!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:23 am

Monroes weren't a KROQ thing. I just think this song was a mini cult favorite in pockets. I still think they do this track on reunion-type gigs and such. Not a great song IMHO but seems to be a crowd pleaser.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby wherewereuin82 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:43 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Frau_Blucher[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by rsgonzalez[/i]
<br>Question -- one of the players wanted to guess the songs she'd missed after sending in her answers. Do you guys prefer learning all the songs when I e-mail you your score, or waiting until this round-up post?
[/quote]
I would recommend not sending the answers until the contest is over so that certain cheaters don't come back and say "Oh, ooh, this or that came to me later, and now I want to submit it because it 'came to me'."
[/quote]

harhar, I read the email on my phone and didn't even scroll down to notice the answers were there :P
wherewereuin82
Room at the Top

Postby rsgonzalez » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:10 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Frau_Blucher[/i]
<br>So who got the White Door song?!
[/quote]
That would be BigBri!

[quote][i]Originally posted by schwenko[/i]
<br>Will there be cash prizes in the future?
[/quote]
I actually offered a cash prize once. The top scorers all refused it!

[quote][i]Originally posted by schwenko[/i]
<br>more seriously, was the Monroes a KROQ mainstay? Other than "What Do All The People Know?" I would be clueless about them
[/quote]
There are actually (at least) two '80s bands called The Monroes. The first was a San Diego band that did "What Do All The People Know." The second was a Norwegian band that had a few hits, including "Cheerio," but I can't imagine they got much airplay in the US.
rsgonzalez
Personal Jesus

Postby wasproxy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:39 pm

Raul, that Karla Devito Bud commercial was priceless!
wasproxy
Take On Me

Postby Jim2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:43 am

Raul, you outdid yourself. A five way tie for first place and I came in second, behind by 8 points. I always send my entries on the last night, as I sometimes remember songs on the bus rides to and from work. This time I barely got my entry in with a minute to spare. I was totally stumped on quite a few of these. I've never heard of White Door or Dear Enemy but have heard of the Rezillo's and the Suburbs but don't own anything of theirs. Were any of these songs available as singles (45's)?

I have a Swimming Pool Q's 45 but I would have never figured out it was them.

I agree with f650gsd about the Karla Devito Budweiser commercial. It was just like I remembered. There was also a version with Oingo Boingo that I've never thought of looking for on YouTube. You can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALK1g83zonE

If I can find the time I think I'd like to take a stab at doing one of these...someday.
Jim2
Take On Me

Postby rsgonzalez » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:31 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Jim2[/i]
<br>I've never heard of White Door or Dear Enemy but have heard of the Rezillo's and the Suburbs but don't own anything of theirs. Were any of these songs available as singles (45's)? I have a Swimming Pool Q's 45 but I would have never figured out it was them.
[/quote]
I had to check Discogs to confirm, but the White Door, Dear Enemy, Rezillos, Suburbs, and Swimming Pool Q's songs all came out as singles ("Rattle My Bones" may have just been a promo, though).

Dear Enemy was Australian, and I don't know if they were really known in the USA. I've been trying to hunt down their Greatest Hits CD for years now.

[quote]
I agree with f650gsd about the Karla Devito Budweiser commercial. It was just like I remembered. There was also a version with Oingo Boingo that I've never thought of looking for on YouTube. You can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALK1g83zonE
[/quote]
I knew about the Boingo one, as they're my all-time favorite band. Does anyone know if any other '80s artists recorded cheesy "This Bud's For You" commercials like this?

[quote]
If I can find the time I think I'd like to take a stab at doing one of these...someday.
[/quote]
Go for it! It's a blast! Sadly, I'm better at making them than I am at playing them ;)
rsgonzalez
Personal Jesus

Postby wasproxy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:46 am

Oh lordy, an Oingo Boingo Bud commercial too! Boingo is my all-time favorite as well.... had no idea they did this. Their madcap style is captured absolutely perfectly.
wasproxy
Take On Me

Previous

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions