Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Erasure's "Sometimes" observations

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Erasure's "Sometimes" observations

Postby Fred Taghon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:05 pm

I am 26yrs late to the game on this lol, but I was just listening to the different versions of "Sometimes" by Erasure that I have and I noticed a few things.

First of all, SOMEHOW I never noticed that the Single Version released in 1986 is a different mix than the one included on the album "The Circus" in 1987! The album version is actually a much cleaner and crisper sounding mix with less reverberation. How have I missed this all these years?!? The Single Version is used on all of their "best of" compilations and on the Erasure Singles Box Set, so I guess I got so used to hearing the Single Version more than the album version and didn't pay much attention.

The Album Version is also in a completely different key than the Single Version! Although, after listening closely, it sounds to me like the master tape for the Album Version was just sped up slightly to increase the tempo and raise the overall pitch. The length of both versions is generally the same but if you listen closely you will notice the Single Version fades out sooner than the Album Version. I tend to believe the tempo & pitch of the Single Version is more accurate because it is in the same key as their live performances.

After some discogs research, I see that the 7" record sleeve for the UK release of "Sometimes" says: "Mixed by Flood and Mike Pela". There is no mention of Mike Pela on "The Circus" packaging, so I wonder if the Album Version is just a Flood mix.

So why was the album version sped up?

The Extended Mix (aka 12" Mix) bonus track on "The Circus" CD's and on the CD-Singles is in the same key as the Single Version, except on the Erasure Singles Box Set, where the Extended Mix is ALSO sped/pitched up even more than the Album Version! What the...?
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby MrOktober » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:02 am

I remember upon listening to the album the first time in 1987, which came out several months after "Sometimes" IIRC, being disappointed that the version of Sometimes on "The Circus" was not the one I was used to hearing on WLIR. I didn't notice the pitch change, just less echo and reverb which made it sound less "synthy". My favorite version remains "The Shiver Mix".
MrOktober
Take On Me

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions