Site Announcements
Congratulations to
DJRetroactive

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

10 Years Ago Today.. (Jan 9, 2004)

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

10 Years Ago Today.. (Jan 9, 2004)

Postby 2Nu » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:58 am

"The World Famous" WLIR 92.7 Garden City Signed Off The Air With This Track..

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-5Yx2TnN9mc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW: I joined The NWO just 6 days ahead of that fateful day 10 years ago.. (THANK YOU Mike P. For Creating This Great Site)[8D]

Couldn't find my 1st post commemorating that sad occasion but this thread has some of my earliest posts ID'd with the ubiquitous archived moniker 'sirzap'

http://www.nwoutpost.com/forum/topic.as ... _ID=11341&
2Nu
Room at the Top

Postby MikeP » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:51 am

Rich, that was a sad event but it led you to this very board where you've become an invaluable member.[8D]

On my visit to NYC over 8 years ago, Alina and I enjoyed your hospitality as you treated us and fellow NWO members to tour the local air traffic control tower out on Long Island ... truly fascinating, made me feel like a kid again on a field trip!
MikeP
President Am I

Postby wormster » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:23 pm

sad day indeed..ok rich we are crossing paths again...LOL
wormster
Personal Jesus

Postby rewind » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:01 am

Bittersweet anniversary.
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby 2Nu » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:47 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by MikeP[/i]
<br>Rich, that was a sad event but it led you to this very board where you've become an invaluable member.[8D]

On my visit to NYC over 8 years ago, Alina and I enjoyed your hospitality as you treated us and fellow NWO members to tour the local air traffic control tower out on Long Island ... truly fascinating, made me feel like a kid again on a field trip!
[/quote]
Indeed the pleasure, the privilege was mine Mike [;)][8D]
Hope we'll have the occasion to meet up again.

[quote][i]Originally posted by wormster[/i]
<br>sad day indeed..ok rich we are crossing paths again...LOL
[/quote]
Yes we are!.. (Thanks to FB and another dearest friend Mike) [;)][:D]
2Nu
Room at the Top

Postby wasproxy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:14 am

August 2, 1982 - January 9, 2004

Over 21 years ... I never would have guessed they lasted that long without doing the math....

During the 1990s I lived in Cobble Hill Brooklyn right near the water, and was able to get not only WDRE but also WHTG 106.3 out of Eatontown NJ....twas a glorious time. By that time DRE was starting to slip and HTG had picked up the slack on what they called "modern rock". Sadly, WHTG ran out of gas around 2000 and were sold and WDRE had become a shadow of its former self, leaning more commercial and heavily repetitive - playing just a narrow band of material and totally forgetting all about the obscure gems that made DRE great in the first place. In fact, it sounded an awful lot like "Next Wave" on Sirius does today.

Great memories! Thanks for posting this 2Nu
wasproxy
Take On Me

Postby wormster » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:55 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by f650gsd[/i]
<br>August 2, 1982 - January 9, 2004

Over 21 years ... I never would have guessed they lasted that long without doing the math....

During the 1990s I lived in Cobble Hill Brooklyn right near the water, and was able to get not only WDRE but also WHTG 106.3 out of Eatontown NJ....twas a glorious time. By that time DRE was starting to slip and HTG had picked up the slack on what they called "modern rock". Sadly, WHTG ran out of gas around 2000 and were sold and WDRE had become a shadow of its former self, leaning more commercial and heavily repetitive - playing just a narrow band of material and totally forgetting all about the obscure gems that made DRE great in the first place. In fact, it sounded an awful lot like "Next Wave" on Sirius does today.
Great memories! Thanks for posting this 2Nu
[/quote]Grock 106.3 was pretty good as far as Alternative goes..I actually had hope for a Resurrection of Alternative then they sold out to country music..GOD...
wormster
Personal Jesus

Postby wasproxy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:52 am

WORMSTER!! A fellow 106.3 fan! Why am I not surprised???? Yes, I liked G-Rock too. First place I heard so many "post" new wave bands... I think the glory days were when Matt Pinfield was program director - before he achieved fame on 120 Minutes. He was an awesome DJ, his encyclopedic knowledge of punk, new wave, etc. music was awesome to behold. Unlike LIR/DRE, I had no idea HTG was sold. Imagine my surprise tuning in one day and being serenaded by country & western.
wasproxy
Take On Me

Postby wormster » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:50 am

f650gsd..We meet again my friend...I was very angry , when we lost Grock..I pretty much gave up on Radio after that..Some of the college radio stations are good in NJ...Brookdale and Monmouth and Princeton..I get a radio station from Pa ,That plays alternative.but are So heavy in the Popular alternative bands, that I turn it off at times..What is really missing is that Dj personality and some of the comic tv skits that they infused into the daily routine of the radio broadcast.Which was WLIR specialty ...I miss that..
wormster
Personal Jesus

Postby wasproxy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:49 am

So do we all, old buddy, so do we all.

But THANK YOU for keeping the fire burning with your endless supply of tapes!!!!
wasproxy
Take On Me

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions